|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BobGed

Carson City, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/18 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

udidwht wrote:

BobGed wrote:

To the OP, I wouldn't call that a completely clean report. Copper level as noted is high, and could be due to any one of a variety of conditions.

Personally I would change the oil and filter and have another analysis done at 4,000 miles. YMMV

The high copper level is normal for the 454 BBC. It comes from the rather large oil cooler. Very common finding in oil analysis from BBC engines.

Can you cite a reference? According to Blackstone it's approximately nine times higher than the universal average for similar engines.

2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/18 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

udidwht wrote:

BobGed wrote:

To the OP, I wouldn't call that a completely clean report. Copper level as noted is high, and could be due to any one of a variety of conditions.

Personally I would change the oil and filter and have another analysis done at 4,000 miles. YMMV

The high copper level is normal for the 454 BBC. It comes from the rather large oil cooler. Very common finding in oil analysis from BBC engines.

Again, for reasons like this, you need you have to have consistent analysis reports to develop the trend data. A spot check info can never give you a complete picture of how the engine is wearing.

2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

udidwht

Seattle

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/18 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BobGed wrote:

udidwht wrote:

BobGed wrote:

Can you cite a reference? According to Blackstone it's approximately nine times higher than the universal average for similar engines.

From other BBC engine owners who reported the same finding.

1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
P-30 chassis 7.4L 454 TBI 58,301 miles and counting....(as of 06/08/19)
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754

udidwht

Seattle

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/18 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dale.Traveling wrote:

udidwht wrote:

BobGed wrote:

Again, for reasons like this, you need you have to have consistent analysis reports to develop the trend data. A spot check info can never give you a complete picture of how the engine is wearing.

Again misleading....

If an issue were present... the analysis numbers would give a clue such as coolant presence. Without doing even (1) your guessing.

185EZ

Infinity and Beyond

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/18 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

udidwht wrote:

185EZ wrote:

I don't see the need to have an oil analysis done unless you are having problems or maybe want to purchase a used vehicle.
To have them tell me my oil is good for another year isn't worth the time and money.
Just do an oil change.
Maybe the oil is still "good" but to keep any oil in a motor for over a year is just asking for problems.
There is still stuff in the oil that's hard on seals and gaskets.

Incorrect. If that were the case the oil analysis would have showed that. If one is worried about something in the oil that's typical of oil after haven been ran a few thousand miles what's a few thousand miles more?

Nope
Go ahead and keep your old oil in it.
You'll find out the hard way long term
All my long term vehicles have never had an oil related issue due to preventative maintenance and never wasted my money on an oil analysis.

BobGed

Carson City, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/18 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

udidwht wrote:

BobGed wrote:

udidwht wrote:

BobGed wrote:

That's pretty much the "reference" I was expecting, but I'm not going to argue the point.

If it were my engine, and I received the results and the comparisons to universal averages as cited in Blackstone's report, I would do as I suggested in my original post. Unsubscribed and dropping the mic! [emoticon]

udidwht

Seattle

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/18 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

185EZ wrote:

udidwht wrote:

185EZ wrote:

I don't see the need to have an oil analysis done unless you are having problems or maybe want to purchase a used vehicle.
To have them tell me my oil is good for another year isn't worth the time and money.
Just do an oil change.
Maybe the oil is still "good" but to keep any oil in a motor for over a year is just asking for problems.

Incorrect. If that were the case the oil analysis would have showed that. If one is worried about something in the oil that's typical of oil after haven been ran a few thousand miles what's a few thousand miles more?

Nope
Go ahead and keep your old oil in it.
You'll find out the hard way long term
All my long term vehicles have never had an oil related issue due to preventative maintenance and never wasted my money on an oil analysis.

Again incorrect. A simple search can provide a lot of info on this.

There is not a single engine that has ever had an oil related issue as a result of going 6000-7000 miles.

Never. Fact.

Changing the oil more often than necessary has consequences. Oil requires some miles to be put on it before it actually lowers wear effectively vs 100% virgin oil out of a bottle. Much the same with an oil filter. A filter filters better after haven been in the engine for 1000 miles+.

A finding of high copper alone is not an issue and quite common unless other abrasive wear metal/s such as iron, aluminum, chromium, etc. are present at higher than normal levels.

Some reasons for high copper level:

1. Oil cooler/s (GM oil leaching from cooler)
2. Radiator/s tubing
3. Leaks from radiators (no leak in mine)
4. Oil additive/s

The above instance (high copper) would also be showing other higher than average wear metals & contaminates in an analysis if there were an issue. Copper in and of itself? No. Normal.

* This post was last edited 11/04/18 08:27pm by udidwht *   View edit history

udidwht

Seattle

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/18 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BobGed wrote:

udidwht wrote:

BobGed wrote:

udidwht wrote:

BobGed wrote:

That's pretty much the "reference" I was expecting, but I'm not going to argue the point.

If it were my engine, and I received the results and the comparisons to universal averages as cited in Blackstone's report, I would do as I suggested in my original post. Unsubscribed and dropping the mic! [emoticon]

And you don't think that may have already been done? I assure you this isn't the 1st BBC I've owned. LOL!

Mic drop.

185EZ

Infinity and Beyond

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/18 05:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

udidwht wrote:

185EZ wrote:

udidwht wrote:

185EZ wrote:

There is not a single engine that has ever had an oil related issue as a result of going 6000-7000 miles.

Never. Fact.

Changing the oil more often than necessary has consequences. Oil requires some miles to be put on it before it actually lowers wear effectively vs 100% virgin oil out of a bottle. Much the same with an oil filter. A filter filters better after haven been in the engine for 1000 miles+.

A finding of high copper alone is not an issue and quite common unless other abrasive wear metal/s such as iron, aluminum, chromium, etc. are present at higher than normal levels.

2. Radiator/s tubing
4. Oil additive/s

The above instance (high copper) would also be showing other higher than average wear metals & contaminates in an analysis if there were an issue. Copper in and of itself? No. Normal.

Again nope.
I never said anything about oil issues with oil going 6000 to 7000 miles. My manual suggests 7500 miles. I'm not going to send in an analysis to find out if I can still run the oil after that. I'd rather spend the $50 and just do an oil change.
I also said keeping old oil in the motor for over a year isn't a good idea.
Is 20w50 recommended for your climate?

edit;
I can't find anything that suggests oil and filters are more effective after 1000 miles.
If that's true then you sent in for an analysis at only 2,720 miles
Only thing I heard was KN air filters would do that.

* This post was last edited 11/05/18 05:59am by 185EZ *   View edit history

udidwht

Seattle

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/18 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

185EZ wrote:

udidwht wrote:

185EZ wrote:

udidwht wrote:

185EZ wrote:

Never. Fact.

2. Radiator/s tubing
4. Oil additive/s

Again nope.
I never said anything about oil issues with oil going 6000 to 7000 miles. My manual suggests 7500 miles. I'm not going to send in an analysis to find out if I can still run the oil after that. I'd rather spend the $50 and just do an oil change.
I also said keeping old oil in the motor for over a year isn't a good idea.
Is 20w50 recommended for your climate?

edit;
I can't find anything that suggests oil and filters are more effective after 1000 miles.
If that's true then you sent in for an analysis at only 2,720 miles
Only thing I heard was KN air filters would do that.

The media of an oil filter will increase it's ability to trap fine particles better after haven been ran in an engine for some time. Larger holes fill and decrease in size over a period of time increasing the filters filtering efficiency.

It's similar with air filters as well. As they dirty they filter better. The RV I own I purchased used so I do an analysis from time to time. The price of an analysis is a drop i the bucket in terms of what most of us spend on these rigs.

My thought is if one gripes over the cost of even (1) then RV's aren't for you.

Used 20W-50 due to the local FLAPS not having the viscosity at the time of purchase. BBC have no issue with it.

If I could extend oil intervals to every 3 years that saves me time & money. Newer oil doesn't work better if the current oil is still doing it;s job just fine. The TBN is the number to look at.

A good read:

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

* This post was edited 11/05/18 06:42am by udidwht *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS