|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Car Dolly

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
77rollalong

Brighton Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/18 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought a replacement car last week off kijij a Saturn S series that was already setup for a Blue Ox tow bar setup with the tow bar, but I had picked up a Demco the previous weekend. Still waiting to try the setup out, but its does look a lot easier to setup and tow than a tow dolly. Other thing is a tow dolly is classified as a trailer in some places, and on toll roads its an extra charge in places too.

daveb1256

Nebraska

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/19 05:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I appreciate the dolly advice. Perhaps I am uninformed, what is a transmission pump? Can it be added to any auto with an automatic transmission? My vehicle is a Hyundai Elantra Limited and the service department at Hyundai says there is no way to tow it 4 down. Is there something I don't know

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/19 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

daveb1256 wrote:

I appreciate the dolly advice. Perhaps I am uninformed, what is a transmission pump? Can it be added to any auto with an automatic transmission? My vehicle is a Hyundai Elantra Limited and the service department at Hyundai says there is no way to tow it 4 down. Is there something I don't know

Call or lookup Remco.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Charles2222

Cochran

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/19 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did it both ways.My behind got just as wet installing the Aux brake as hooking safety chains on toad.I put chains around some solid part of the front of car and safety chains with grab hooks with snaps and all I Had to do was reach under and hook them

Racine96

Racine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/19 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a dolly and it's is not a big deal to make it work. Probably 10 minutes at worse case to load the car. To unload it is about 5 minutes. It is cheaper alternative, and can load both of our cars. Weight added to the MH is probably around 50 pounds as most of the weight goes over the dolly wheels. We trade cars frequently so the charge for bases and other things every time I change cars would be too much.

pushtoy 2

texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/19 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tobydad wrote:

The biggest disadvantage that I have found is time and work. With 4 wheels down when arriving all you have to do is lift the tow bar off the ball and you are good to go. With the dolly undo the straps (not always the easiest thing to do) then SLOWLY back the car down the ramps. When leaving you do everything in the reverse order. figure with a lot of practice 1/2 hour to get on the dolly and ready to go. Must check straps at every rest stop as they tend to stretch out. The dis advantage of 4 wheels down is initial cost, but after using my dolly for four years I think I should have paid the cost.

if it takes you 30 min. to load and ty down the car on your dolly your doing
something wrong.

DREAMER ">

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/19 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like most things RV, they all have compromises.
From ease of setup to ease of using the vehicle you already have vs buying a differnet one.
In and of themselves tow Dolly's are easy to use. Can't Back around a corner with a dolly or 4 down.
Ideally, 4 down is more convienent though if using the toad regularly.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Car Dolly
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS