|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 2019 Cross country RV trip planning

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/18 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hornet28 wrote:

Lyle, have you checked to see if they there's a brake setup that would bolt on instead of changing axle out?

Easier to just change out the whole axle, then sell the old one. :-)

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

Likes to tow

Huntington WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/18 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You ask about trip planning? By all means get the Mountain Directory both East and West additions. It's an invaluable tool to use in planning routes with heavy rigs!! If you have never towed anything heavy, the feeling of going up a steep grade and getting the engine and transmission hot is only a minor worry compared to heading down the other side and having brakes get hot and fade out to zero or see smoke rolling out from the wheels when you do get stopped. Not to scare you but you need to read this and other forums about mountain towing. Also, mountain roads in the West have steep grades that go on for miles and miles. This gives the brakes time to get toasty hot if you don't use the gearing to help. Never ride the brakes constantly........get on and reduce speed by 10 mph and then coast in a lower gear while the brakes cool down.

* This post was edited 11/17/18 05:55am by Likes to tow *

Planning

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/18 09:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ma'am,

I would seriously counsel you to rethink your intended plan. You have, self-admitted, no experience regarding this. In addition, you are planning to do it in a vehicle that is already loaded significantly beyond capacity. You have no training, no experience and you are using equipment ill-suited to perform the task. As a result, even before any incident might occur, you have eliminated any safety margin that might be to your advantage.

Another issue is the reality that it is not just about what you can pull; it is also most definitely about what you can stop. Even if you stick to interstates, if you travel through Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, etc, you will be in an environment that can tax novice drivers even when properly equipped. Add in a system failure in an under-rated tow vehicle piloted by an inexperienced driver and the end result can be a tragedy to you and others on the road.

Please carefully reconsider your plans.

2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/18 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mountains are the reason people drive across the country from the East. But then they get there they are not ready for long steep grades.

For a short trip in flat country your truck is okay. For months on end in the mountains you are beyond your capabilities. Get a different truck or a lighter trailer.

road2002runner

Vancouver Island B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/18 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Planning wrote:

Ma'am,

I would seriously counsel you to rethink your intended plan. You have, self-admitted, no experience regarding this. In addition, you are planning to do it in a vehicle that is already loaded significantly beyond capacity. You have no training, no experience and you are using equipment ill-suited to perform the task. As a result, even before any incident might occur, you have eliminated any safety margin that might be to your advantage.

Another issue is the reality that it is not just about what you can pull; it is also most definitely about what you can stop. Even if you stick to interstates, if you travel through Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, etc, you will be in an environment that can tax novice drivers even when properly equipped. Add in a system failure in an under-rated tow vehicle piloted by an inexperienced driver and the end result can be a tragedy to you and others on the road.

Please carefully reconsider your plans.

THE ONE AND ONLY VERY BEST ADVICE if you plan on going WEST OF THE MISSISSIPPI.

* This post was edited 11/20/18 06:07pm by an administrator/moderator *

I'll NEVER be an "EXPERT" (In math.X is an unknown factor and a "SPURT" is just a drip - under pressure)
Y2K F350 Longbox C.C. SRW, 2WD (BIG BLUE)
2011 COUGAR HC 291RLS
Barry, & Zeah - the "wonder" Sheltie

chineselady00

NB

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/18 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you, guys. I am out of country. I don’t know why I can’t use this site when I am in China. Appreciate all your suggestions. Will ask more questions when I come back to Canada. Thanks a lot. Happy new year to all of you.

Live simple, love simple.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/18 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Along with issues going up and down mountain pass, wind is going to be a major item that you are not going to like.

My best advice is take the truck title along with you so you can duck into Canada to up grade the Tow Vehicle. If you have any thoughts of a larger trailer down the road then consider a 350/3500 single rear wheel vs a 250/2500.

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/18 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With all due respect, how can you not realize that the West is "full of mountains?" Nevada has 278 mountain ranges.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/18 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

With all due respect, how can you not realize that the West is "full of mountains?" Nevada has 278 mountain ranges.

If you were RVing in China, would you know where all the mountains are?
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
2019 Ram Limited 1500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, SB
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

chineselady00

NB

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello, everyone. It is really a busy year. Just come back to do a report. We did start our trip since May 25 without a detailed plan. Luckily, we have finished NB, NS, NFL, PEI, Quebec City, Montreal, Ottawa, now we are in Toronto. Everything seems fine at this point. We enjoyed a lot. Of course a bit stressful, not because of F150, more because of no experience and no detailed plan. But so far so good. We will keep going. Since we are still on the way, may no internet to respond. But I will come back report more and post some pics in the future. Thanks again to everyone here. Thanks a lot for your advice and help.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 2019 Cross country RV trip planning
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS