|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 2019 Cross country RV trip planning

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/18 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

I think you're going to be hating life after a few days. I owned a 2010 F150 5.4 and 3.73 gears. Problem with that tranny is there's no way to lock out OD. It will hunt and shift all day long. Payload will be a concern.
Mine was 1857 with the Max Tow option. Most are in the 1500 lbs range.
I would seriously rethink you're agenda with that combo.

LOL... It's easy to lock out the OD. It's as easy as pushing a button.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/18 10:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOL, there's no button on a 2010 F150 6sp. In 2011 they went to the select shift button when they introduced the 3.5 EB.

* This post was edited 10/19/18 01:06pm by an administrator/moderator *

lfcjasp

Southeast VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/18 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

I'm not sure there's a flat route from NB to BC - there's this thing called the Rocky Mountains in between them. Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, New Mexico, Nevada and Idaho all have an average elevation of 5000' or higher.

Don't forget the Cascades...have to cross both big ranges to reach Vancouver and Victoria.

JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/18 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chineselady00 wrote:

Thank you guys. All the responds are quality and helpful. Just start planning, Wyoming/Montana have lots of mountains? Haven't do reseach about that yet, never been there [emoticon] If that's the case, we may give up Yellowstone. What's the best flat route from NB to BC? Thanks in advance. You guys are awesome! Since the truck has bought, we have no plan and no money to get a bigger one. We have to find a way to make it happen since we need to settle down in BC at the end of the trip. Change transmission oil, get a transmission cooler, slow down, take less stuff with us...what else can we do?

Am I the only one who thinks this must be fake? You didn't know Wyoming and Montana have mountains? [emoticon]

2017 Keystone Impact 351
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

2019 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn
2016 Ford Explorer Sport 3.5 Eco-Boost
2015 Polaris RZR 900S

chineselady00

NB

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/18 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

Glancing at the itinerary, no time in MI upper peninsula? One of the most beautiful areas in the country. Also, while in Mackinaw, take a trip over to mackinac island. Lots to see in Traverse city, and west on the Leelanau peninsula.

What are your plans in Detroit?

Thanks a lot. I wrote those place down, will add to the detailed plan. We didn't plan to do anything in Detroit. Just only want to drive 3-5 hours, seems we have to stop at Detroit. If you have better suggestion, we can definitely change our plan. Thanks again.

Live simple, love simple.

chineselady00

NB

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/18 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JAC1982 wrote:

chineselady00 wrote:

Thank you guys. All the responds are quality and helpful. Just start planning, Wyoming/Montana have lots of mountains? Haven't do reseach about that yet, never been there [emoticon] If that's the case, we may give up Yellowstone. What's the best flat route from NB to BC? Thanks in advance. You guys are awesome! Since the truck has bought, we have no plan and no money to get a bigger one. We have to find a way to make it happen since we need to settle down in BC at the end of the trip. Change transmission oil, get a transmission cooler, slow down, take less stuff with us...what else can we do?

Am I the only one who thinks this must be fake? You didn't know Wyoming and Montana have mountains? [emoticon]

Sorry to make you feel this is fake. As I said, we are new to RV and new to North America, not good at geography [emoticon]. What I did was choose the places I want to go first, then look at the Road Atlas (the one I am using seems not very good, I really didn't see mountains [emoticon] ).I haven't started use the online route planning tools to plan the detailed route yet. But glad that I found this place, have so many experts guide me to continue my planning. Thanks, everyone. Really appreciate your opinion and help.

JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/18 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I might suggest you do google image searches of the places you want to go and not just rely on the map. For example, I did one for Wyoming here: https://www.google.com/search?q=wyoming&........WD_YMKHSfuAZ8Q_AUIECgD&biw=1920&bih=1058

You might also want to look into terrain maps. Google Maps' satellite view will give you a good idea of where mountains are. You can also use their Street View option to see what particular roads look like.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/18 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JAC1982 wrote:

I might suggest you do google image searches of the places you want to go and not just rely on the map. For example, I did one for Wyoming here: https://www.google.com/search?q=wyoming&........WD_YMKHSfuAZ8Q_AUIECgD&biw=1920&bih=1058

You might also want to look into terrain maps. Google Maps' satellite view will give you a good idea of where mountains are. You can also use their Street View option to see what particular roads look like.

Better yet, use Google Earth, which gives you elevations for wherever you mouse over. Pretty, um, =interesting= when you're following a route you want to take and realize that it's at 11k+ feet! [emoticon]

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/18 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Based on your 8/16/19 timing, if you have any love of cars, you might consider Dream Cruise, but I have to warn you, it is absolutely the worst traffic you will encounter in your life. Best bet find a place to park the truck (only) and walk up to woodward avenue. The peak areas are around 9 mile, 12-14 mile, and in Pontiac.

Greenfield Village in Dearborn is a great visit.

A friend stays at Detroit Greenfield RV Park in the western suburbs.
http://www.detroitgreenfield.com/

chineselady00

NB

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/18 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

JAC1982 wrote:

Better yet, use Google Earth, which gives you elevations for wherever you mouse over. Pretty, um, =interesting= when you're following a route you want to take and realize that it's at 11k+ feet! [emoticon]

Lyle

Thanks, Lyle & JAC 1982. Will follow your suggestions. RV trip planning is hard. Too much work [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 2019 Cross country RV trip planning
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS