|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Fear Aggression

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
discovery4us

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/18 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockhillmanor wrote:

Fear biters do not give a clear heads up alert before they bite like an aggressive dog does.

I would disagree with this. In my experience fear biters will try to get away from what they are afraid of first and then if they can't they will resort to biting. If you approach a dog and it cowers from you it is telling you that it doesn't want you there. If you ignore this sign and continue moving in then good chance you will be bit. Heed the warning the dog is giving you and you and the dog will be fine.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/18 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

discovery4us wrote:

rockhillmanor wrote:

Fear biters do not give a clear heads up alert before they bite like an aggressive dog does.

I would disagree with this. In my experience fear biters will try to get away from what they are afraid of first and then if they can't they will resort to biting. If you approach a dog and it cowers from you it is telling you that it doesn't want you there. If you ignore this sign and continue moving in then good chance you will be bit. Heed the warning the dog is giving you and you and the dog will be fine.

lol. Apparently you have never been bitten by a fear biter!
Trust me not all fear biters cower first. [emoticon]

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

jspringator

Versailles, KY 40383

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/18 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No growel. No warning, except dilated pupils. By then it was too late. That dog was a lot quicker than me!

Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

BizmarksMom

Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/18 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I foster and work with seriously stressed out dogs.
1) Medication to help the dog calm down so she can think. This is usually not permanent.
2) Find a good trainer to help you. See if your vet can recommend anybody.
3) Yes, I own and use basket nuzzles when working with rehab dogs. I like the Baskerville brand. Look up how to introduce dogs to nuzzles- squeeze cheese is my preferred bribe.

I can tell you that my foster dogs have gone on to have happy lives with their families. No, they don't go to off leash parks and doggy play groups. They do hike, camp, go on car trips, sleep with the kids... it takes time and patience, and a good team.

2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

Travlingman

Jonesborough, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/18 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, will take a look at the Baskerville. Also good to hear the positive on taking the time to work with a dog to help them.

Here is a little update on her.

The last few weeks have been good for Sahara. Our daily walks have really been an improvement for her. I have saw some good progression from her. Instead of just walking stiffly, scared, she has started to smell things on our walks. She hasn't done that for the 3 months we have had her. She shows very little reaction, really only a few times, if there is a sudden noise now. She largly ignores them.

Last weekend we went to an RV dealer to look at new rigs and took her. She did very well. When walking the lot, when she saw people, at a distance, she had no reaction. She rode in a golf cart with the salesman up front, again no reaction. The salesman was great, actually raised German Shepards, after telling him her issues, he feed her some treats. The only issue was he made a sudden movement, she reacted, but pulled back from him and not at him.

We are on a weekend camping trip right now, and she has been good on our walks around the campground. Dogs barking at her bring no reactions of agression. When people pass us while walking, no reaction, no fur raised, no balk up. She has barked when there has been some quick movements away from us while walking, like someone running around a blind corner and surprising her. No agression, but a bark. While setting out today, there were kids playing football in front of us, 50 feet, she watched and fell asleep.

The one thing we noticed, is when we travel, you can tell she is wondering if we are taking her to give her away. You can almost see a depression when she gets in the vehicle. She will lay down and go to sleep in a short time. We think this comes from her earlier life. We know that a family took her from the rescue on a Friday morning, brought her back on Saturday, and we took her as soon as they dropped her off. Hopefully taking her trips will help her with this.

All in all I think she is making good progress. She is gaining confidence and is finally getting to experience things. I am sure she hasn't been socialized and it is going to take time. She is doing really good in learning commands and following them. The wife and I have talked, and we both agree that we are not going to give up on her. We know we have a long way to go, but we will get there. It is going to take her time to get use to things she has never been exposed to. We are looking for a trainer too.

Here are some pics from our present trip. As you can see, she likes this camping thing.

[image]
[image]

2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah

Pawz4me

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/18 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like she's making great progress!

Regarding the "depression"/curling up and going to sleep in a vehicle--I wouldn't read too much into that. Our Shih Tzu came from a very good breeder--he's been surrounded since birth with nothing but love. And he curls up and goes to sleep within minutes of getting in a car or our RV. He always has. It's just his normal reaction to riding in a vehicle. Which is a great thing--makes him so easy to travel with.

Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

Travlingman

Jonesborough, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/18 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hopefully that is her way. Our last pup loved to go riding. She was at the window, exicited the whole time. Might just be her personality.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/18 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that she is making progress. All our dogs have come from the shelter. Our current ones, Maggie and Mica, both take trips with us and even go on rides in the Jeep on weekends when we aren't camping. Mica curls up and goes to sleep, occasionally looking up and out the window. Maggie, shows a little nervousness at the first of the ride, but we know that it's because she has to go to the bathroom right away after a few miles on the road, so we schedule a potty break. After that she's fine and relaxed.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted. She is a beautiful girl. The fact that she is showing you her belly means she trusts you.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

BizmarksMom

Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/18 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's a great update. Thanks for committing to her!

SkullAndSquirrel

California

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/18 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were at a campground just now that 4 or more sites thought it would be good to let dogs run around, especially if they were (in their eyes) harmless small ones. We have two husky mixes, and it's always a pita when other owners don't keep their animals secure.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Fear Aggression
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS