|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Fear Aggression

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Pawz4me

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/19 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's an awesome update! Good job!

Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

Travlingman

Jonesborough, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/19 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thought I would give an update on Sahara.

We came across some information from the rescue group she came from. Originally we thought she was around 2 years old but found out she is close to 4. At some time in her life, she was in the Miami Florida area as her ID chip was from that area according to the company. Don't know all of her journey from there to TN, but it doesn't appear to be a good one.

Know for how she is doing since last time I updated. She has really started to come out of her shell and start acting more like a lab. By that I mean more adventurism, wanting to play, explore, nosey.

She is starting to act better around people. When out on a walk, if she sees someone at a distance, she might bark 1 time. If they walk up to talk, she shows no aggresion, just stands for a few minutes and will lay down if conversation goes longer.

We are presently at the beach, and she is being exposed to new things that she has never experienced from the way she acts. Even though she came through Miami, she doesn't act like she had saw the ocean before. When a wave would come in, she initially ran from the water. After letting her see it wasn't something to be scared about, she didn't run but just walked along us on the beach in the water.

The biggest thing she overcame was riding a golf cart. We rented one and she didn't even want to get near it. We started getting her around it and eventually put her on the backseat with my wife and she rode there. You could tell she was scared, but we went slow and you could see the fear subside. After a while, my wife came up front and she rode some by her herself.

Later in the afternoon I took her outside by the cart, and she jumped up in the front floorboard. I patted on the front seat and she jumped up and we went for a ride. Wife came out and set in the back and we rode for a while longer. After dinner I took her out, she jumped up and we rode for an hour and you could see the fear level was very low. You could also see her grin as she was enjoying the ride.

One good thing about this was after all of the time we spent riding around, seeing people, dogs, just so many new things for her to experience, never did she bark or show any signs of being upset.

I know this is small steps for most dogs, but for her it has been a leap. T

2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/19 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's amazing progress. I'm so glad you decided to work with her rather than give her up. Thanks for letting us know.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

Scottiemom

South Dakota/Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/19 03:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You're doing a great job with Sahara. Thanks for rescuing and for not giving up on her.

God bless all rescuers.

Dale

Dale Pace
Wife to Terry (Teacher's Pet)
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40'(Phaeton Place)
2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltiming since 2005

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/19 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have done an amazing job with your dog!!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Fear Aggression
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS