RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Jeep toad rides to rough.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Jeep toad rides to rough.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
CVD

Corona, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/18 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have said, shocks, tires, and tire pressure are the place to start (and stop). Springs don’t really effect the ride quality as much as you’d think. They mostly hold the vehicle at a particular height. Shocks do the most controlling up and down. Variable rate springs in particular are of minimal value. Having said that, you should get a tolerable ride from that LJ, but it will never match a uni-body passenger car (i.e. CRV, Equinox, Edge). I tow a modified TJ (Wrangler) for off-roading trips and a CRV for any other outings. Wouldn’t consider a Wrangler unless it would be used off road.

BTW – that LJ will never go down in value. It's much sought after for a starting point for off-road builds (perfect "in between" 103 inch wheelbase).

Cliff

1999 Itasca 34V DP
2000 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Honda CRV

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/18 04:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look on wranglertjforum.com and you will find that people love the ride of the Rancho RS5000x. They say it is a much smoother ride on road, and it is tuned perfect for the TJ/LJ. They are also reasonably priced at about $50 each.

Make sure it is the X, that is the one you want.

I'll be putting them on my TJ when I put a better lift on it.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 213k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/18 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CVD wrote:

As others have said, shocks, tires, and tire pressure are the place to start (and stop). Springs don’t really effect the ride quality as much as you’d think. They mostly hold the vehicle at a particular height.

Oh I would have to completely disagree - ride starts with the springs and cheap aftermarket springs equal terrible ride. A lot of science goes into the rate of compression of those springs and how they rebound. Going from a factory spring to a cheap aftermarket is the fastest way to learn to hate your TJ, especially when you feel the cracks in the road through your neck.

2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/18 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't owned a Jeep in ages but stiff suspension and Jeep just doesn't seem to mesh.
The MB Jeep I had on the flight lien in Nam, you could walk it up a wall. Rough roads were not as smooth as my F150 but it had suspension travel and did not beat me to death.
If you can tow it get a 4x4(necessary for being towed F150. My 05, Saddie, takes RxR tracks and everything else like it wasn't there. It is two wheel drive 4 door cab though. The new light weight easily bent aluminum ones, I'm not sure. Try it out first.

CVD

Corona, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/18 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mile High wrote:

CVD wrote:

As others have said, shocks, tires, and tire pressure are the place to start (and stop). Springs don’t really effect the ride quality as much as you’d think. They mostly hold the vehicle at a particular height.

Oh I would have to completely disagree - ride starts with the springs and cheap aftermarket springs equal terrible ride. A lot of science goes into the rate of compression of those springs and how they rebound. Going from a factory spring to a cheap aftermarket is the fastest way to learn to hate your TJ, especially when you feel the cracks in the road through your neck.

OP is talking about improving ride with stock ride height, I assume stock OEM springs & shocks. "Upgradjng" the worn shocks would be worthwhile (think he's now done that).  Not much improvement should be expected from different springs, would only do so if he's looking for lift.

Trigger Happy

So. Calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/18 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's so many good ideas here it's going to take some time to research the options.

Thanks for the replies! I never thought this question would generate so much interest.

I'm thinking I'll just buy a Costco seat cushion... till I get new JL car fever.

mc.cc

Southeast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/18 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Traded mine for a 2018 GMC Canyon. Night and Day difference. Much more comfortable and quiet ride.

Mark

dadwolf2

Henderson,NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/18 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LJ's are HIGHLY sought after in the off-roading community. If you aren't using it in that capacity you can sell it and make top dollar.

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/18 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mc.cc wrote:

Traded mine for a 2018 GMC Canyon. Night and Day difference. Much more comfortable and quiet ride.

Depending on what you had, an 18 JL Wrangler is a world of difference, too. However, no off road vehicle of which there are few, is to be compared to an over the road vehicle.

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Trigger Happy

So. Calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/18 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fixed the problem. Jeep rides much better now. All it took was buying a 2014 Wrangler Unlimited 4 door. [emoticon]

It really is much better in many respects. Thanks to those who suggested that upgrade.

Now the towing set up begins.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Jeep toad rides to rough.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS