RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Jeep toad rides to rough.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Jeep toad rides to rough.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/18 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trigger Happy wrote:

Fixed the problem. Jeep rides much better now. All it took was buying a 2014 Wrangler Unlimited 4 door. [emoticon]

It really is much better in many respects. Thanks to those who suggested that upgrade.

Now the towing set up begins.

After some research, I went with a NSA, READYBRUTE/ELITE package and DEMCO base plates. Couldn't be more satisfied after being all over and up and down both the Rockies and Appalachia.

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

dubdub07

Colorado Springs

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/18 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can assure you that if it rides rough then everything is right in the world. If there is a Wrangler out there that doesn't have a rough ride then something is terribly wrong.....

The new JL offering is quieter and the 8 speed is a nice addition, but the Rubi I drove still had that Jeep rough ride....as far as a non-Wrangler Jeep as a toad....if you make a gain in one area you are sacrificing in another....the rough ride is the ride of competence. If you do not off-road a lot, maybe a CR-V is in your future.

WW

2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon, 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, 2013 SHO, 2013 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/18 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dubdub07 wrote:

I can assure you that if it rides rough then everything is right in the world. If there is a Wrangler out there that doesn't have a rough ride then something is terribly wrong.....

I guess "rides rough" is subjective as I don't think my wife's 2014 JKU rides rough. It's no Cadillac but it's not rough. Now, my 2015 JK is rough if you aren't on a smooth road but it's got an awfully short wheelbase. We take my wife's JKU on road trips all the time and it is a comfortable ride. But I'm not used to riding in luxury cars as I don't like riding on the ground.

2018 Miramar 35.3
2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500
4 fur kids (Murphy, Monty, Lola and Pinto)

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/18 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trigger Happy wrote:

Fixed the problem. Jeep rides much better now. All it took was buying a 2014 Wrangler Unlimited 4 door. [emoticon]

It really is much better in many respects. Thanks to those who suggested that upgrade.

Now the towing set up begins.
Congratulations! Like I said, The JKU is not perfect, but a better ride than the TJ. Just got through putting a new Bestop Twill Sunrider on mine along with some new winch parts! Too cool! You can't have that kind of fun with a Grand Cherokee or a CRV [emoticon]

2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/19 09:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MetalGator wrote:

dubdub07 wrote:

I guess "rides rough" is subjective as I don't think my wife's 2014 JKU rides rough. It's no Cadillac but it's not rough. Now, my 2015 JK is rough if you aren't on a smooth road but it's got an awfully short wheelbase. We take my wife's JKU on road trips all the time and it is a comfortable ride. But I'm not used to riding in luxury cars as I don't like riding on the ground.

You are absolutely correct, the ride IS subjective. Not ALL Jeep Wranglers ride rough. There's only a few zillion variables that dictate just how they ride. Of course they're different than many autos/trucks/SUVs/ and other makes and models, IT'S A JEEP FOR CHRISTS SAKE!!!! But, in the light of the fact that Jeep has done quite a bit in refinements in the last few years, and, after owning 9 different Jeep Wranglers over the last 35 years, I'd say the newer ones, as in JKs and JLs, ride CONSIDERABLY better than the CJs, YJs, and TJs.

Besides, if one were to do just a tad bit of research, you'd find there are tags with numbers on each set of front and rear springs for the JKs and JLs. Those numbers represent different springs for different applications. As in Sport, X, Sahara, Rubicon, Recon, Hard Rock and all that. Each of those will have different spring rates and will have different spring numbers.

When one purchases a Jeep Wrangler, one basically expects for it to ride somewhat different than the Cadillac they drove to the Jeep dealership. It's a given. But, if one were to test drive say, a Rubicon or a Hard Rock edition, then jump right into a Sahara, I guarantee you'll feel a difference in the ride. Not to mention, there's considerable differences in the tires that are supplied with the various models.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/19 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FIRE UP wrote:

MetalGator wrote:

dubdub07 wrote:

You are absolutely correct, the ride IS subjective. Not ALL Jeep Wranglers ride rough. There's only a few zillion variables that dictate just how they ride. Of course they're different than many autos/trucks/SUVs/ and other makes and models, IT'S A JEEP FOR CHRISTS SAKE!!!! But, in the light of the fact that Jeep has done quite a bit in refinements in the last few years, and, after owning 9 different Jeep Wranglers over the last 35 years, I'd say the newer ones, as in JKs and JLs, ride CONSIDERABLY better than the CJs, YJs, and TJs.

Besides, if one were to do just a tad bit of research, you'd find there are tags with numbers on each set of front and rear springs for the JKs and JLs. Those numbers represent different springs for different applications. As in Sport, X, Sahara, Rubicon, Recon, Hard Rock and all that. Each of those will have different spring rates and will have different spring numbers.

When one purchases a Jeep Wrangler, one basically expects for it to ride somewhat different than the Cadillac they drove to the Jeep dealership. It's a given. But, if one were to test drive say, a Rubicon or a Hard Rock edition, then jump right into a Sahara, I guarantee you'll feel a difference in the ride. Not to mention, there's considerable differences in the tires that are supplied with the various models.
Scott

Yeah....and how soft does one have to have in a ride....geeeeezzzzzhhhh!
On the brighter side of things, when used as a mall crawler, the nimbleness of the vehicle, makes it a fun driver, besides paying off in the brush.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/19 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK How you compare our 14 JGC Overland to some of the other jeep rides? Not that we are in the market for another jeep but may replace the CRV.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2004 CR-V and 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

zb39

slippery rock

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 19 JLR rides awesome. New bumper with tow brackets and winch are already installed.

Tiffin Zephyr(sold)
Artic Fox 1150 slide(sold)
2011 DRW 3500 Crewcab Longhorn( sold)
2016 RAM Laramie Limited DRW crew cab(sold)
2017 Host mammoth
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2018 RAM 5500 CM bed
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.

Trigger Happy

So. Calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I test drove a JLU and WOW it did ride like a real car. I just found the 2014 JK was more in my price range.

Post a picture when you get it all decked out. It's fun to accessorize them.

dubdub07

Colorado Springs

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/19 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MetalGator wrote:

dubdub07 wrote:

The rough ride is not subjective but the perception's of the drivers are subjective. There are certainly mall go-getters in the Wrangler family, but the more capable the Jeep is the rougher the ride will be....I am a 70% off road, 30% grocery getter, and I am here to say that I think that mine, albeit well tuned, still rides rough.

You can convince yourself that it isn't a huge deal but I know if I am driving a few hours somewhere, I am probably not going to take my JKUR.

WW

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Jeep toad rides to rough.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS