RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Tire life?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tire life?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/18 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

ST tires I would change out at 4-5 years regardless of milage.
LT tires which is my preference I would change out at 7 years regardless of miles.

So the Sailun S637 was a LT tire originally and was re-labeled to ST for import tax reasons. So which category would you put them in? They are also an all steel ply tire.

Chris

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/18 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

If the chart says 80spi for your actual tire load let er rip! They don't make weight/inflation charts for no reason.

I replaced 80psi "E" tires on my 32.5' Avion with "G" 110psi GY's. I ran those tires for several years at 85psi and had perfect tread wear. If I remember correctly the tires lowest inflation number was 85psi on the chart.

GY recommends when going up in load range to weight the tires and use the chart and add 5psi to the heaviest tire on each axle.

Don't buy the tire needs to be ran at the MAX "BS" because of tire scrub. That is proportional to the load.

Proper inflation will get you a cooler running tire, better stopping, better ride and better tread wear.

Charts are there for a reason, USE THEM !!!

When I ran Michelin XPS Ribs with about 10K on four of them I ran 65(placard inflation) and saw amount of outside edge wear. Increased to 71 and wear was even. Michelin CS also said along with decreased braking that over inflation can lead to impact damage.

All steel ply tires seem to run cooler that poly carcass tires. With RIBs, R250s(29' Cardinal) and S637(39' Bighorn) the trailer tires always ran cooler than the TV tires. Chris

justme

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/18 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Navyvette wrote:

My question is I have S637 tires that are 12/15 dated with lots of tread so what’s the usual life span on these tires?
Also they list 110psi on the sidewall and I’m running 80psi. Should I air them up to max?
In a couple months I’m making the journey from Houston to Orlando and prepping early.

My TPMS system alarms when the pressure in my Sailun's go below 95psi. Also, I would never run them with less than 100 PSI. I have 12450lbs on both axels.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/18 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

donn0128 wrote:

ST tires I would change out at 4-5 years regardless of milage.
LT tires which is my preference I would change out at 7 years regardless of miles.

So the Sailun S637 was a LT tire originally and was re-labeled to ST for import tax reasons. So which category would you put them in? They are also an all steel ply tire.

Chris
It may have been called an LT tire, but they plainly said on them "For Trailer Use Only". Mine are 5 years old and I figure they're good for at least a couple more years.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/18 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ST tires are required to be labeled for trailer use only as the renamed 16" Sailun S637 are.
I have 6 S637 on a triaxle GN stock trailer. These tires are over 6 years old and over 28k miles and were the LT designation before Sailun did the re ID for the 16" S637 for cheaper import tax reasons for P and LT tires.

If you want the tire to last 7-10 years and 60k-80 miles of trouble free service keep them pumped to max sidewall unless you pulled a newb and way over tired the trailer. A 3750-4400 lb rated tire isn't the best idea for a trailer with 2500-2800 lb per tire load.
Then pay attention to what tire experts tell us about ply shear regardless of the tires load range or psi in them.
If you use a commercial grade G load tire for 2-3 years and 20k-30k miles at 80-85 psi then it can take abuse like that unlike a lessor grade tire.

There is pages and pages for reading what tire experts tell us about best tire pressures for trailer use and the reasons why like our resident tire engineer Roger Marble in his rvtiresafety.net blog.interply shear

Lots to read but will help anyone better understand interply shear in all tires especially a 110 psi tire with only 80-85 psi in them.

* This post was edited 10/28/18 06:51pm by JIMNLIN *

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/18 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Navyvette wrote:

My question is I have S637 tires that are 12/15 dated with lots of tread so what’s the usual life span on these tires?
Also they list 110psi on the sidewall and I’m running 80psi. Should I air them up to max?
In a couple months I’m making the journey from Houston to Orlando and prepping early.

FWIW, the Sailuns =are= LT tires, just rebranded as STs for import tax purposes. I'd run them for at least another 3 years, barring any issues, so long as you keep them covered and use a good treatment, like Aerospace 303, which =adds= back some of the compounds that volatilize out over time, or which stuff like Armor All actually pulls out of the tires. I'd also run at much higher pressures. Someone recently posted here about how they'd pressured down their Sailuns to match the load and, when he checked, his tires were running considerably =hotter= than his older, E-rated tires. He ended up running pressure back up to max and his temps came down on the order of 40-50 degrees!

Lyle

* This post was edited 10/29/18 12:41pm by laknox *

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

CALandLIN

SC

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/18 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

Navyvette wrote:

FWIW, the Sailuns =are= LT tires, just rebranded at STs for import tax purposes. I'd run them for at least another 3 years, barring any issues, so long as you keep them covered and use a good treatment, like Aerospace 303, which =adds= back some of the compounds that volatilize out over time, or which stuff like Armor All actually pulls out of the tires. I'd also run at much higher pressures. Someone recently posted here about how they'd pressured down their Sailuns to match the load and, when he checked, his tires were running considerably =hotter= than his older, E-rated tires. He ended up running pressure back up to max and his temps came down on the order of 40-50 degrees!

Lyle

IN bold: NHTSA would not allow that and the TRA would not approve it.

They let GY get away with it on their G614 because they registered the tire name as Regional Service Trailer (RST) and put "for trailer service only" on their sidewalls. That made it unique.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/18 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, since the "new" ST Sailun's are the same as the "old" LT Sailun's, what do you suppose they did?

* This post was edited 10/29/18 03:48pm by an administrator/moderator *

Wills6.4 Hemi

meadows

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/18 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

5 years! Imho

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/18 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CALandLIN wrote:

IN bold: NHTSA would not allow that and the TRA would not approve it.

They let GY get away with it on their G614 because they registered the tire name as Regional Service Trailer (RST) and put "for trailer service only" on their sidewalls. That made it unique.

Yet Sailun did it! So???

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tire life?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS