RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Chevy Class C?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Chevy Class C?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/18 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Chevy 4500 and the Ford E450 compare, as do the Chevy 3500 and the Ford E350. The Fords do handle a bit heavier load. Both brands are great for the right application.

The Chevy is more comfortable and quiet. But not every motor home manufacture offers their product on a Chevy chassis. The Ford is most popular for reasons we can debate for pages on-end.

Given everything else "RV" equal, you decide what chassis you are most comfortable with. I love our Ford E350, but maybe I would love the Chevy 3500 chassis better if I had a chance to own both.

Back in 2007 when we bought our 2007 E350 rig, 96% of the chassis was made in the USA, and the Ford E-series was rated best in quality. Both numbers gave me a good feeling that our Phoenix Cruiser was built on a Ford E350. Our rig did have it's handling issues back then of which I had gotten resolved with aftermarket suspension upgrades. I understand today the Ford has improved in that regard.

One other point worth noting. I believe the Ford is the preferred chassis for modifying the wheel base. It has a physically bigger frame making it better suited for modifying as the RV outfitter requires. It could also be that all the various lengths of related resized parts are also more readily available for the Ford lineup.

Somehow these parts need to addressed with a change in the wheel base.
- drive shaft
- brake lines
- parking brake cable
- fuel lines
- wire harness
- exhaust system

* This post was last edited 10/30/18 06:22pm by ron.dittmer *   View edit history

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/18 01:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobndot wrote:

Some dealers will not work on either because they say the rv mfg altered it and then the warranty war begins between the chassis mfg and the rv mfg.

This should only be an issue on a used motorhome without a build sheet or a new motorhome where the owner lost the build sheet. With the build sheet, the responsible party is forced under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act to fix their problems.

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

gmctoyman

Lake Livingston, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/18 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After owning 2 Lazy Daze on the Ford E450 chassis i would not have another. My present is on a Chevy 4500. The difference is like night & day ... for us. Both of my LD were on the previous generation chassis, the last was on a 06 chassis. I understand the the latest are improved, but I checked to see if the horseshoe was hot 2x, I’m a slow learner, but the experience finally gets thru to me.

Dave W. AKA "Toyman"
KE5GOH - On 146.52
RV's ? What RV's ???
Apache Pop-up
Classic GMC Motorhome
07 Leisure Travel Sprinter
Do Boats Count ?

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/18 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gmctoyman wrote:

I understand the the latest are improved, but I checked to see if the horseshoe was hot 2x,

What do you mean by this?

(So far the 2005 Ford E450 chassis under our Class C has been fine, but then again an E450 is not worked hard under only a 24 foot rig.)

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/18 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

gmctoyman wrote:

I understand the the latest are improved, but I checked to see if the horseshoe was hot 2x,
What do you mean by this?

(So far the 2005 Ford E450 chassis under our Class C has been fine, but then again an E450 is not worked hard under only a 24 foot rig.)
I had assumed he's referring to the exhaust crossover pipe that heats up the floor by the passenger seat in the E350/E450.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/18 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron, that was my first thought too on what he might have meant but I wasn't sure ... hence me asking for clarification.

Our E450 floor does not do that due to heat shields that are mounted down below between the pipes and the underside of the cab floor. Setting the cab air flow to the mix position when using the A/C would pretty much counter this hot floor condition for those that have it, but this simple trick probably isn't well known.

gmctoyman

Lake Livingston, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/18 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Being twice burned i guess needs a little explanation?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Chevy Class C?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS