|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Switch to 19.5" wheels & tires

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
swhunter

SF, NM

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/18 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello,
I have learned a lot by reading in the truck camper forum here. I just recently registered to become a member of this site. It seems like there are some really interesting and knowledgeable people on this site. I have been around the RV life style a very long time. My folks were fulltime RV’ers for twenty some years. I got into pickup campers in 1994. This is my first post; I am not very experienced at posting on the internet. Also I hope I am not beating a dead horse here since I know this subject has been here before. I just wanted to see what some of the people that have experience with SRW pickups and 19.5” wheels, tires and heavy campers, think of my situation and the way I am handling it. I want to go to the 19.5’ wheels and tires for the safety margin to gain with them.
I have 2000 Ford F350 with the 7.3 Liter Diesel engine, crew cab long bed, and single rear wheel pickup. In the pickup, I carry a 1992 Lance model 900 overhead camper that is for an extended cab or crew cab, which has an 11 foot 3 inch floor. I did put on the pickup the Rancho 2.5 inch level kit, which means it now has 4 leaf springs on each side of the front-end and it is double shocked and air bags on the rear axle. My pickup has 149,000 miles is still in good shape. As much as I would like to get a dually I don’t see that happening for a long time. If I would change anything I would like to go to 9.5 foot camper. I have taken the pickup and camper to a scale to be weighed. I have the following weights:
The pickup by itself with a full fuel tank, but no passengers.
The pickup = 7,770 Lb’s
The front axle = 4,560 Lb’s
The rear axle = 3,230 Lb’s

The camper wet weight, with everything in it full; water tank, propane bottles and everything needed to go on a long hunting trip = 4,770 Lb’s.

The weight of the pickup when the camper is on it, but no passengers:
Pickup and camper total weight = 12,540 lb’s
Front axle = 4,690 lb’s
Rear axle = 7,850 lb’s
Both the pickup and camper are kept in a non climate controlled pro-panel building when not being used. They are separated most of the time.

I contacted Rickson Wheel, and talked to a really nice lady by the name of Heather. Heather was very informative and helpful. I did tell her that I am interested in the 19.5” x 7.5” steel wheels that are rated at 5000 lb’s. After I got all the weight information to Rickson they sent me their suggestions on tires, which are: Toyo M608-245/70R19.5 – load range H – 16 ply, rated at 4940 lb’s. Said this tire is new from Toyo with identical tread as the M608Z.

Has anyone reading this had any experience they would like to share with a situation like this?

Thanks

Lwiddis

Rincon Parkway, Ventura, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/18 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you need new tires? Are your current tires carrying more weight than they are rated? Are you worried about your current tires?

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/18 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thats about the weight I carried on my 03 F350 4x4 diesel crew cab SRW with my Lance 1055. I upped to 19.5s and Toyo tires. major improvement in stability but I hated the tires. too much wander and they grabbed at every ridge in the road. I prefer the Cooper roadmasters that I now have. As far as Rickson Wheels go. Those that have love love them. I got the run around from Rickson for 9 months on false ship dates, and excuses. I will never do business with them again. I canceled my order and got a set of Vision Heavy Haulers just days before a big trip. The Visions have been on my rig for 4 years now no regrets. 19.5s in a 245/70R19.5 are the way to go on an SRW

I still have the SRW and I have a newer Dually

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Artum Snowbird

Campbell River, B.C., Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/18 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the same truck, same year. SC 4 by 4. We weighed the same fully loaded with a Snowbird 9'6 slide camper. I used Vision 81 wheels and Michelin tires, same size as yours.

We are two normal size people only. I carried the Honda 2K in the back "seat" of the SC. I had Rancho 9000's and just normal F350 springs and Firestone airbags which you might need or you might not. The springs should hold you up fine.

The truck carried it proudly. Engine mileage was about the same as you.

You need to realize there is a very small market for that size wheel. 1999-2003 F250 and F350's only. They changed bolt pattern after that, so putting these onto your Ford costs a lot of money and there is not much hope of getting anything back if you sell. Research that point, but I know this is true.

You will likely never need tires again. You should rotate them front to back to keep wear even, but 60K on those tires is not unheard of. They are very heavy and really made me feel secure. I ran my tires at 105 psi, well below full pressure. A nice safety margin.

They do not air down. Not made to have pressures less than 75psi.

mike

Mike and Carole
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/18 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be aware that the 245’s come in 14PR and 16PR load ratings. You want the latter so you get the stiffest sidewalls. I ran the 4500 LB rated Vision rims rather than the Rickson’s.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate 20' Car Carrier-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW 1200sp

mbloof

Beaverton, OR

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/18 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I Bought Toyo M608Z's and Vision rims for my 97'. When I upgraded the truck to a 17' (both SRW) I attempted to get Rickson wheels for the new truck (Ford changed lug patterns so my 97' rims would not fit the 17'). After nearly 5 months of waiting for Rickson to ship I bought a set of Vision Heavy Haulers for the 17' and had my M608Z's mounted. I run the 265/70R19.5's (Class G). After the first few 1000 miles to break in the tires it rides like a dream. I added airbags to the 17' to level out the headlights. Ready to camp I'm at ~12000lbs.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/18 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If someone actually made a couple styles of 19.5s that didn’t look like they should be on a 1987 F350, there’d be a lot more folks running 19.5s...

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

Oregun

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/18 10:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buzzcut1 wrote:

Thats about the weight I carried on my 03 F350 4x4 diesel crew cab SRW with my Lance 1055. I upped to 19.5s and Toyo tires. major improvement in stability but I hated the tires. too much wander and they grabbed at every ridge in the road. I prefer the Cooper roadmasters that I now have. As far as Rickson Wheels go. Those that have love love them. I got the run around from Rickson for 9 months on false ship dates, and excuses. I will never do business with them again. I canceled my order and got a set of Vision Heavy Haulers just days before a big trip. The Visions have been on my rig for 4 years now no regrets. 19.5s in a 245/70R19.5 are the way to go on an SRW

I still have the SRW and I have a newer Dually

+1 on the Vision with Cooper Roadmasters

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/18 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also used Visions 19.5s on my SRW. I got them at Les Scwab. Keep in mind that not all tire dealers can mount 19.5s.

I used Hankook DH-01s. I do think the Bridgestone fronts on my F-450 don’t track as much even though the Hankooks have better traction. You don’t really need the 19.5s on the front although they won’t hurt. It made quite a difference on my SRW, but the ride was quite a bit stiffer.

The size and brand/model cause 19.5s to vary a lot in weight capacity. I ran Gs. Ricksons site still has the best chart of capacity/size. There are also a few 18” tires that have over 4000 lb weight capacity. That’s probably worth a consideration as well. Note: if you don’t air the tires to max, you don’t get the maximum capacity either.

On my F-450, I run Fs which still have plenty of capacity since I have 4 tires in rear. I’m not really sure how much softer they are, but my intent was to split the difference between Es and Gs.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/18 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go with your plan and Heathers advise. Rickson steel wheels outperform Vision aluminum wheels. There is only one downside to upgrading to 19.5. It can take several thousand miles to break in the new tires. Until then they will follow even minor road ruts and tend to wander.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Switch to 19.5" wheels & tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS