|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Bike racks in the rear

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/18 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a good 2" receiver on the back of our 5th wheel. Attached to the frame not the bumper. I looked at putting a hitch on the front of the truck but found this Yakima rack designed for the back of trailers. It does not fold down for SUV's so it is solid. It also has a locking nut that I can tighten so no bouncing over bumps.

Here is a link to Amazon for the Yakima bike rack.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4RV9IB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only problem is I can't put 4 mountain bikes on it. My sons bike does not have a straight cross bar so his takes up more space. I can easily get our 3 bikes on it and have safety straps just in case.

Camper4871

South Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/18 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was behind a 5th wheel Monday with one of those mini golf carts on a rack.
I followed for several miles and it was very stable. I really wanted to flag him down so I could examine it!! Looked like it was mounted by way of 2 2' receivers, one close to each end and mounted to the frame. If anybody knows a model or manufacturer for such, I would love to know. The mini golf carts weigh about 300 pounds.

RVman3252

Ohio, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/18 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a Swagman, 2 Bike Rack on the back of our 5th Wheel. I have a 2" Receiver on the back, and just slide the Bike Rack in. I normally put a cover over them and add ratchet straps and bungee cords to keep the air from tearing up the cover. I have been doing this for well over 20 years and have never had the 1st problem.

RVman3252
3252Px3 KZ Sportsmen Limited Triple Slide Fifth Wheel
Dodge Ram HD3500 CrewCab, Longbed 4x4 Cummins w/ PullRite Super 5th

Good Sam Life Member

irishtom29

San Antonio

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/18 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Good quality bicycles are never carried on the back of an RV.

They’re not? You’re misinformed, I see it often.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/18 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave H M wrote:

IAMICHABOD wrote:

One of the things is the rocking and the damage it can do when the bike carrier is mounted in a RECEIVER .
You need a good anti rattle device so you don't get so much play in the receiver,thus magnifying the movement and doing more damage to the bike carrier.

I have tried almost every Anti Rattle device on the market, most have been no good or so complicated and cumbersome that they are useless. Including the Roadmaster type,totally useless.
Until I found the one at Hitch Rider.

Their Hitch Vice is the best and easiest one I have come across and it really works.

I have one of those to take all the slop out of the hitch for the rack. I messed around for quite some time before stumbling onto that device. It is the cat's meow.

If you buy a quality bike rack it will have a bolt rather than a pin to attach to the receiver. Our Swagman XC2 has a bolt that pulls the rack tight to the side of the receiver, with a pin to prevent it from backing out if you ignore it for years.

Swagman XC-2 bike rack

Swagman XTC-4 4 bike rack

It also amazes me that people can't grab the concept of carrying bikes on the front of a 5er attached to the pinbox. Never a worry about if they are beating themselves to death, or even back there, you have them in your view. I have a cover on ours and it stays in place with a few bungee cords.

[image]

This is our unit with bike rack on 5er and cover in place on the Oregon Coast.

[image]

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

RollandB

Albany, Or

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/18 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Russ, we joined the “bikes up front” the end of summer. Which cover are you using?

2005 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab Long Box, Duramax/Allison, B&W Companion, TST507's

2016 Artic Fox 27-5L

Puddles

Lafayette, Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/18 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RollandB wrote:

Russ, we joined the “bikes up front” the end of summer. Which cover are you using?

Ditto this question... had a cover custom made... by third trip, a peddle had punched thru the cover... like hauling the bikes in that location, but lots of wind pressure up there.

HTML

hotpepperkid

Kingman AZ

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/18 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camper4871 wrote:

I was behind a 5th wheel Monday with one of those mini golf carts on a rack.
I followed for several miles and it was very stable. I really wanted to flag him down so I could examine it!! Looked like it was mounted by way of 2 2' receivers, one close to each end and mounted to the frame. If anybody knows a model or manufacturer for such, I would love to know. The mini golf carts weigh about 300 pounds.

I did exactly that. Removed the stablelizer jacks, welded 2" receiver material to the frame. Rewelded the stablizers to the receiver stock and build a rack to fit. Carried my gen and large cooler on it for years

2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/18 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

Dave H M wrote:

IAMICHABOD wrote:

One of the things is the rocking and the damage it can do when the bike carrier is mounted in a RECEIVER .
You need a good anti rattle device so you don't get so much play in the receiver,thus magnifying the movement and doing more damage to the bike carrier.

I have tried almost every Anti Rattle device on the market, most have been no good or so complicated and cumbersome that they are useless. Including the Roadmaster type,totally useless.
Until I found the one at Hitch Rider.

Their Hitch Vice is the best and easiest one I have come across and it really works.

I have one of those to take all the slop out of the hitch for the rack. I messed around for quite some time before stumbling onto that device. It is the cat's meow.

If you buy a quality bike rack it will have a bolt rather than a pin to attach to the receiver. Our Swagman XC2 has a bolt that pulls the rack tight to the side of the receiver, with a pin to prevent it from backing out if you ignore it for years.

I do have a quality Swagman bike rack with the bolt,no matter how tight that you get it you will still have some slop,the Hitch Vice does eliminate all movement.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

azjeffh

Full-timing the USA (formerly Chandler AZ)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/18 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have almost 3 years on the road and 15K miles with my Thule T2.

Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Bike racks in the rear
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS