|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Long Driving Days: Class A vs. Trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
tragusa3

upstate south carolina

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/18 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've recently changed from a truck and bumper pull to a Class A motorhome. We've done nearly 40k miles with the trailer. On long trips, we would average about 500 miles per day when trying to "make time". They were tough, but doable. I had a grip on what I could handle.

We've not been on a long road trip with our motorhome yet, but have 8k miles planned for this summer. I'm expecting some of the benefits of a Class A to help us (fewer fuel, restroom and food stops), but it does seem to require more attention when driving, which I could see being more fatiguing than the truck/trailer combo.

What are your thoughts comparing long drive days with different style RV's? I'm planning out next summer and don't want to over or underestimate driving days. I realize it is not only different for every person, but different each day as well.

Thanks for any input.

New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/18 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the cushy seats in the Class A's and more elbow room than in my dually and the extra visibility is incredible. Driving all day in a Class A is much less fatiguing for me. One thing I absolutely hate about towing my TH is when we get to an overpass and the trailer bucks hard. We don't get much of that in a Class A.

One thing I learned was not to oversteer the Class A, which caused it to weave slightly. I now make smaller steering inputs than I do on my dually to keep things smooth.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited

tragusa3

upstate south carolina

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/18 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat, it is hard for me to tell...do you have both Class A and 5th wheel?

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/18 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends entirely on how either setup drives. Either one can be a handful depending on many factors.
I don't think you can make a blanket statement that one is better than the other in regards to faigue.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/18 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We picked up oir MH on a Friday in Orange County,CA. Left and drove it home. When we got into the central valley I let DW try driving it. Formthe first few miles she was all over the road. I got her to look in the mirrors and center the body to the lane stipes. Within a couple of miles she got the hang of it and settled down to a smooth eady drive.
Later that fall we left Portland at 3:30 on Firday. Pulled into Lansing,MI at 1:30 on Monday. That included a few hours wasted in Salt Lake City. While I dont suggest it, we swapped drivers every couple of hours. Stopped only to eat and sleep. Bottom line, once you get used to it you can pile on the miles quite easily.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
8 years OSP Camp Host
The Other Dallas

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/18 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don’t say what type of class a... Gasser or Diesel pusher. Makes a difference. We (gasser) have limited our daily miles to no more that 250, but prefer less. With stops for fuel, bio breaks, puppy breaks, food we use 50 mph as planning number, and set cruise between 60-62 to make it a more pleasant drive.

I don’t think you will have fewer stops, but they may take less time to complete.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/18 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think it would make any difference to me. It doesn't matter what I drive, I have to stop about every hour to hour-and-a-half for breaks.

My artificial knee has to move, my bladder has to be emptied, my stomach need refilling, and my eyes need a rest, just about every hour. As you can imagine ... when we travel...and it doesn't matter what we drive...we make REALLY fantastic time. [emoticon] [emoticon]

The human body has needs, you just can't change that ... and the older you get, the more "needy" it gets!

DutchmenSport

2019 Montana High Country 375FL Fifth Wheel
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually

2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 even older folks now, but still lots of love!
And yes, it really does have a door on the opposite side:

tragusa3

upstate south carolina

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/18 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a gasser (in signature). We don't have the luxury to limit to 250 a day.

I'm not sure if I asked the right question. Generally, is one type known to be less fatiguing driving a given distance?

I will find out myself, but it is winter and if we can't travel, we can talk about it. [emoticon]

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/18 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m up in age and still do the 1500 miles to CO in two days BUT it’s in an excellent handling DP. Not many gassers handle that well so doubt you can average that many miles. Fortunately my bladder is good for 400+ miles so averaging 60 mph is possible by filling one tank while emptying another.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
How I tow.
Towing a Prius without a dolly
How I spend the winter.

Doin'it

Hutchinson, Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/18 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a gas Class A, tow a Jeep, and easily drive 500+ miles a day when necessary. We find it very comfortable and easy to drive. I think a lot of it has to do with your age, how big of a hurry you are in, and if you are true "road warriors." And how big your bladder is! Haha! If I know that I am going to be the first morning driver, I very intentionally limit my fluid intake until we hit the road. That way I can go 3-4 hours until I need to stop.

Ann from Kansas

2014 35' Itasca Suncruiser
2013 Jeep Wrangler

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Long Driving Days: Class A vs. Trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS