|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Long Driving Days: Class A vs. Trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/18 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We usually limit our daily travels to one tank of fuel, about 450 - 500 miles, since DW will not drive the MH. I have, on occasion, driven about 650 miles in a single go around. Not all that difficult, but I am definitely tired after 650, where I still feel pretty good after 500. That last 2 - 2 1/2 hours seems to take a lot out of me. I redid the suspension last year (shocks, bushings) which made it much easier to handle, especially in a crosswind. If your rig handles well, then long driving days should not be an issue.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/18 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would still stop about the same mileage or time I think.
In the Mh and in less of a hurry we may start out at ten and parked by six or earlier.Some parts of the Country you don't stop at that RV park at 2:00 you may not find another til morning.
Six to eight hours tops and stop for eats etc when we want to. total drive time per day 6 hours or less.

Younger when we had the Fifth Wheel and Dualie. I drove until we needed fuel about 450 miles I think. We stopped sometimes to cook a bite to eat or eat some elses cooking. Our Fifth wheel was only 32 ft and tracked and handled beautifully behind the F350 Dualie. I hated tight city streets of small town in Arkansas etc with perpendicular parking and tight bridges but never smacked a mirror.
The Mh is mor comfortable and I just set it on auto pilot and make myself a sandwich and take a nap if I want. NOT I find I need to go the Mens room more often these days and any convenient pull over works just fine or if wife is driving while under way.
Handling is not as good with our Mh as the /fifth Wheel Rig.
However when we were caught a few years ago in 70mph winds in Tx into Kansas I felt a lot more secure in the MH. A fifth wheel might have flipped or not. I ahd my doubts about our safety at 20 mph. I sure don't miss jacking the fifth wheel around to park in on our drive.

Two Hands

California's Central Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/18 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a youngster I easily drove 500 to 600 miles a day pulling a trailer or fiver. Now I drive about 300 miles a day.

2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/18 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doin'it wrote:

We have a gas Class A, tow a Jeep, and easily drive 500+ miles a day when necessary. We find it very comfortable and easy to drive. I think a lot of it has to do with your age, how big of a hurry you are in, and if you are true "road warriors." And how big your bladder is! Haha! If I know that I am going to be the first morning driver, I very intentionally limit my fluid intake until we hit the road. That way I can go 3-4 hours until I need to stop.

Ann from Kansas

Yep, that's where we are.

Some one said "it depends upon how easy the rig drives" they got it right.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/18 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I had to pile on the miles I'd take a diesel truck and modest sized fifth wheel. Nothing else has the power to weight and handling of that combo.

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Trackrig

Spent the summer in Conconuly, Wa, MH now in Vanco

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/18 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have both a 40' DP and a diesel CC truck with an 8' bed pulling a TT. I really don't notice a difference between the two except for the DW being able to go to the bathroom or get something to eat while going down the road in the DP.

My question is, and I'll make the assumption you're retired if you're going to put on so many miles next year, why are you driving so many miles in a day?

Yes, when I was working with the limits of vacation time, I could put on the miles if I needed to. We Did Portland, OR to Anchorage, AK in 99 hours in the DP and in the truck I made it from Anch to Idaho in 64 hours. But I'm retired now and enjoy taking my time now.

Bill

Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/18 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ductape wrote:

If I had to pile on the miles I'd take a diesel truck and modest sized fifth wheel. Nothing else has the power to weight and handling of that combo.

I sure as heck don't need anymore than I have.

Stim

NE Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/18 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It all comes back to how the vehicle handles.
I had a 1974 Winnebago Indian that handled so bad that when a semi passed it would blow it half a lane sideways!
You had to watch the front and rear to be ready and counter steer.
It made every mile longer.
I had driven everything including semi's so it wasn't lack of experience.

dubdub07

Colorado Springs

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/18 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had a TT, FW, and now a DP. I could drive all of them a long way per day, but the DP is by far the easiest to go a long way. 700-800 some days. I cannot do back to back 700+, so I try for a 700 then maybe a 400. I try to do the long one first. Then a short, then a long....gives me time to rest. But the DP is by far the less taxing on ME when I go for the long haul. And everyone is just watching TV, eating...playing cards....while I cruise down the highway. I am usually by myself up front just driving away. And I like the low stress of that.

WW

2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon, 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, 2013 SHO, 2013 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/18 10:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As long as both are set up and functioning correctly...no big deal driving either. After a couple hours, we want to get up, stretch, hit the bathroom etc...

Then again, we prefer 100-150 mile days.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Long Driving Days: Class A vs. Trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS