|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Long Driving Days: Class A vs. Trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
Sponsored By:
dubdub07

Colorado Springs

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/18 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think we all get there are some of you that only drive a little. That option is a gentle and safe option and less stress for sure. There are times I would love to only drive a few hours...

The reason the question is asked is not how LITTLE one drives but how FAR one can safely drive. We all know that short trips are the bestest, but for those of us with a job, kids, and things to do at home it is important to get where I am going. Therefore, I may drive 800 miles in a day.

It is this reason I got rid of the FW and moved to a MH. The long, long trailer (movie reference) was too much for the kids and DW and dogs in a truck for 800+ miles in a day....drove me crazy. It turned out to be the best option for us to get a DP.

WW

2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon, 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, 2013 SHO, 2013 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

TriumphGuy

Simpsonville, SC, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/18 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey neighbor! We have similar coaches, with the biggest difference being the chassis (I think you're on the Ford F53, we're on the Workhorse W22).

Also, when I purchased ours, the original owner had installed a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer and Henderson's track bar.

After one trip through I-40 through the Smokies I added front and rear anti-sway bars as well.

So on the balance, almost all the time I much prefer driving our Class A instead of our old combo - 2000 F250 7.3 with a 35ft 5th wheel.

Last year on our 4 week trip, we started and ended with 3 days of 500+ miles each day to get out west and back home. It wasn't the most enjoyable, but just wouldn't have been possible in the truck/trailer combo. Most of that driving was me driving with one hand and just chillin' in the driver's seat, staring down the interstate towards the horizon. (Until we hit Atlanta, then I was staring at brake lights, ha ha).

The only times I missed the truck/trailer was on super twisty roads and high wind days. I could really hustle that truck and 5th wheel down a tight mountain road if I had to, but the motorhome just doesn't have that same handling predictability. The anti-sway bars helped a ton, and I'm getting more comfortable with the motorhome too, so not a big issue.

With wind I felt like the truck and 5th wheel were more stable, especially dealing with semis blowing by. I got used to the "pitch and catch" eventually ... spotting a truck coming by, countersteering as it pushed us, then steering back into the "wash" of the wind coming off the truck's trailer.

I also need to improve the front seat in the MH, it's too soft for me for driving all day. Made do with a cushion on top but might do something different for next year.

Anyway all that to say is we didn't look back once we were in a MH! And that's a gasser ... My friend who drives a diesel Tiffin said it's a really easy drive!

2011 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA (Mack); 2015 VW GTI (Lightning - toad); 2008 Acura MDX SH-AWD (Sally).
Any opinions are my own and not my employer's.
Missing the towing days: 2000 Ford F250 (Trusty Horse)
Follow us (BusyDadRVLife) on YouTube

malexander

Oklahoma City, OK

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/18 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In 2007 I traded my Class C Jayco for a new 5th wheel. I missed the motorhome the first trip out......and for the next 5 years. Then traded it for a class A gasser. Owned it for 2 years, sold it bought the current DP.

Hands down, best decision ever. I love driving the DP, sort of hate stopping for the night. We go to Oshkosh every year, it's 985 miles from our house to the campground. We do it in a day and a half and I'm really not tired when we get there.

I've said it before, I know Fleetwood is "entry-level" but when we bought ours, it was pouring down rain in Houston. Of ALL the coaches on PPL's lot (high-dollar ones included) this Bounder was the only one that wasn't dripping water SOMEWHERE inside.

2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, 2007 Honda VTX 1300R, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S19 Ventera. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Long Driving Days: Class A vs. Trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS