|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Yea, "cheap gas"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
badsix

north bend or.

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/18 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

I started driving and paying for my own gas in 1971 when I was 16 years old. I vividly remember the first time I got gas at the pump myself, for my own car, that I paid for myself from working, making my money ... not sponging off my parents..... it was 17 cents a gallon. I thought that was a horrible price! Well, when I was making $1.60 an hour, it probably was!

Yep, I remember the good old times. but for that 1.60 and hour you could buy 5 gal of gas and a burger basket for you and your girl friend and maybe have money left over for two ice cream cones.
today you make 25.00 hour you get 2 gal of gas and two SMALL fast food burgers.
Jay D.

* This post was edited 12/07/18 12:01pm by badsix *

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/18 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last time I checked 2 gallons of gas was less than $5, and two burger baskets is around $12, which leaves "money left over for two ice cream cones.".

You need to shop around for your burgers.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

badsix

north bend or.

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/18 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's less than 2.50 a gal how can they do it! the cheapest gas here today is 3.10 that's 6.10 for gas and 12.80 for the burgers. you won't get much of a burger here for 6.40. maybe a burger but they will hold the meat.
Jay D.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/18 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just filled up on the way home from picking up the great-granddaughter and paid $1.99/gallon, which is what all the stations were showing.

And Sonic shows a Double Cheeseburger Combo, which includes fries and a drink for $5.99. Guess stuff just cost more out there.

badsix

north bend or.

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/18 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yep, we get scalped really bad by the local bay area gas station cartel. I did see 3.05 tonight though.
Jay D.

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/18 09:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really have to ask, does anyone use fuel rewards to lower their gas prices? I mean if you're traveling with an RV that doesn't exactly get stellar gas mileage, and you know your going to use lots of fuel, how come you're not doing what you can to lower the price from full price? I got just over 30 gallons in Oakland CA yesterday for about $72. Do the math; I didn't pay full price!

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/18 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use a rewards card, it just depends on how much you hate being tracked by the corporations.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/18 12:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beentherefixedthat wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Veebyes wrote:

Are the people smaller in the rest of the world so they fit in smaller cars easier?

Thy buy smaller because big brother says they will penalize those that don't.

They buy smaller cars because they are more fuel efficient in countries where gasoline is $4-$7 per Gallon. They are also cheaper to buy initially.

As for "Big Brother". In China the best selling car for years was the biggest Buick made (and it was made in a factory in China) And Ford Motor is looking at a very big new Lincoln Continental for sale in China. In actual terms Big Brothers don't all have the same agenda.

There is also the widespread belief that Japanese and Korean cars are more reliable than US made ones. Thus the Toyota (any Toyota) is the most favored car in Thailand and Cambodia and in many many other countries.

Simplistic ideas of what motivates people are rarely accurate.

The fuel price is just the club used in Europe to force people to buy small cars. You are making a totally unsubstantiated claim that people "want" fuel efficient cars. They want cars they can afford and the govt has tried to make larger cars unaffordable.

The China example is outdated and misleading. It was from back before China went capitalist and the only people who could get cars were wealthy party officials...they weren't paying so it didn't matter what the price of fuel was. Current sales are heavily skewed toward tiny cars because you have people making $8-10k/yr wanting to buy cars.

Speaking of Thailand and the original comment about are people smaller...just went there last October and yes, they are smaller. I felt like a giant walking around Bangkok. Also there average income is around $400USD per month...back when we were living in a house and commuting, we spent that much just on gas...we have no idea if they "want" a Buick. The issue is they can't afford a Buick.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/18 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the Stop & Shop/Shell fuel rewards card. It gets me 5 cents off a gallon up to 20 gallons. I save a buck.

Does White Castle still have 10 cent burgers?

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/18 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Last time I checked 2 gallons of gas was less than $5, and two burger baskets is around $12, which leaves "money left over for two ice cream cones.".

You need to shop around for your burgers.

That $25 will be taxed and there will be nothing left over.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Yea, "cheap gas"
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS