|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Grain Free Concerns

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
xteacher

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/18 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a long time feeder of grain free kibble, I was unhappy to hear about a recent study, which shows the potential for heart disease in dogs fed certain grain free kibbles. Apparently, peas, legumes, and white potatoes may inhibit the absorption of taurine, which is needed for heart development and heart health.

I have a 6.5 month old lab puppy, so I'm feeding him grain-inclusive kibble until further studies determine the seriousness of this study. Be aware that even some grain inclusive kibbles contain peas. Read ingredient lists carefully.

Grain Free-Heart Disease

Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

Lwiddis

Los Angeles :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/18 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Research continues on this issue. Time will tell. IMO we should follow the most recent reliable opinion.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

doxiemom11

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/18 09:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our grain free kibble does not include potatoes or peas as an ingredient. We have a small dog so use Diamond Naturals small breed chicken & rice. They do have other formula's for larger dogs and I believe puppy and senior formulas. We purchase ours at Tractor Supply and know it's available at Menard's stores up north.

Pawz4me

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 04:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's an older thread. There might be some helpful comments in there for you.

I never jumped on the grain free bandwagon, since it (to me) seemed obviously a marketing gimmick much more than science. Plus I've personally known more dogs to have issues with particular meat protein sources than with grains. But I still tend to believe that what's good for humans is good for (most) dogs--a wide variety of healthy food.

Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/18 05:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After seeing what my two dogs will eat from the yard in the way of grasses, et al, I’m not that concerned with what comes in their name brand dog chow.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 05:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Diamond naturals chicken & rice is not grain free; rice is a grain.
I have nothing against this food; we buy the Costco branded version of it (120-160lbs at a time).

I too agree the grain free diet fad is pure marketing. They are selling “feed your dog what a wolf would eat in the wild”. But then then tell you this fairytale of what wolves eat in the wild. They leave out the facts of wolves eating organ meat (meat byproducts) first then muscle and finally bone (meat byproducts); and wolves eating vegetation (grass) in the summer. Almost forgot to mention the consumption of rodents, birds, and invertebrates (more meat byproducts like feathers).

Source: https://academic.oup.com/jn/article/136/7/1923S/4664711

But why let the facts get in the way of a good story.

* This post was last edited 12/05/18 06:17am by BCSnob *   View edit history

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We switched away from a grain free formula about a month ago...on advice from our vet who is also a friend of ours.
Now feeding Nature's Logic.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pawz4me wrote:

....I never jumped on the grain free bandwagon, since it (to me) seemed obviously a marketing gimmick much more than science......

X2

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does your dog need grain free or more,likely limited ingredent? Our Lab mix we fought diahrrea for nearly 3 months before our vet put him on LID. His issues stopped over night. If you want to feed treats, try sweet potatoe fries.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
8 years OSP Camp Host
The Other Dallas

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/18 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our vet told us she believes grain free is a sales gimmick and if your dog has allergies it is more common to be allergic to chicken and chicken by products than anything else.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Grain Free Concerns
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS