|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Help Needed to Reduce Installed Generator Noise

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
rockerbox

Wasilla, AK

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/18 02:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone figured out a way to reduce the vibration and noise from a factory installed generator in a Class C RV? The generator is below the sleeping area and under the floor of the rear bedroom, but leaves a lot to be desired when needed overnight.

If there have been successful mods to reduce the transmitted vibration and noise into the sleeping area, I sure could use the help.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Bill

Bill

Happy Prospector

The Great Sonora Desert

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 03:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might try a good brand of Scotch, about three fingers.

Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out

blownstang01

Upstate NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/18 04:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Happy Prospector wrote:

You might try a good brand of Scotch, about three fingers.

Definitely couldn't hurt.

Chris Bryant

Arden, North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 04:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It depends on how the sound is getting in. A layer of homasote topped by plywood on the sheet metal will greatly reduce transmitted noise, if it i# r3flected from outside, baffling can deal with that.
Those can be made very quiet, it just takes room.

-- Chris Bryant
My RV Service Blog
The RV.net Blog

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dynamat? IIRC there are also cheaper brands of sound insulation.

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

jjrbus

FT Myers FL

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am very sensitive to sound and would not take one of the RV type generators for free! I personally have a Honda 2000 in a sound box. I also find the RV AC's to be the equivalent of a 747 at takeoff and use a window AC, which the little Honda runs with ease.

I have built a couple sound box's for my RV's and there is quite a bit to it. Your best option is to Google generator sound box's, generator sound proofing, DIY generator enclosure to get a handle on what is needed and different ways to go about it.

Lots of options depending on how much time and money you want to put in it.

Some add a different muffler and are happy, some use heavy material to dampen the sound and some use $$$ material while channeling the intake and exhaust around corners. Sound canceling headphones might also be an option?

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You always have the option of a portable generator and a very long extension cord. [emoticon]

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

makes we wonder why the heck they put a generator under the bed in the first place. is it on rubber feet? how much insulation is between you and the gen set?

rockerbox

Wasilla, AK

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/18 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kevin, I've used the "three finger' solution often and it does work nicely after a long day of driving.

We use our Class C in winter and summer. Depending where we are, we need the generator for the air conditioner at night. In winter, I don't like to draw down the coach batteries for heater fan all night so the generator is used over night in cold weather when shore power is not available.

Local Onan service department had no suggestions. The area under the rig where the generator is located is a very close space. I was hoping that there was a way to mount the generator on bushings to absorb the vibration to isolate the vibrations from the coach. Nothing is made just for this generator mount application, but I still might be able to find something that will work. I haven’t spoken with Winnebago techs yet; they may have a suggestion.

I’ve thought about using an external Honda, but the convenience of “in rig” push button starting is a lot to give up in winter. I was thinking of removing the generator and mounting it on a rack on front bumper, but wiring and fuel lines would need to be relocated so I discarded that option.

Chris and Ductape, thanks for the Homasote and Dynamat suggestions. I have very little space to insert noise absorbing panels around the generator itself, but I haven't tried that approach yet. I’ll do more research for sound absorbing materials. Perhaps there is a thin product that I can surround most of the generator where it is mounted.

Thanks to all.

Bill

richardcoxid

Idaho Falls, ID

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you check the price of a “utility” grade open frame generator VS the cost of a Honda 2000i it will be obvious that the cost of noise cancellation is an exacting and EXPENSIVE science!

The air cooled engine is basically noisy because there is not a water cooled jacket surrounding the cylinder.

2005 Dodge/Cummins auto, 2wd. PacBrake PRXB Exh Brake, Maxx Brake controller.
1998 Hitchhiker II, mod#31RLBGBW, RBW L'tl Rocker Hitch, Generac NP50 G generator. Dexter EZ lube 7,000# axles with 8,000# capacity brakes.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Help Needed to Reduce Installed Generator Noise
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS