|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
mikemc53

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/18 05:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know this has been asked a lot but I am going to be storing my 2004 HR Vacationer for the first time since I purchased it this summer. Tanks and such I am fairly comfortable with but what about batteries? Should the battery disconnects be turned to "off"? I will be able to get to it every couple of weeks to run it and keep the chassis batteries going but not sure of what is best for the house batteries? It will be in central Florida so weather will be less an issue than had I stayed home in Michigan.

Thoughts?

2004 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 37PCT

10forty2

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/18 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turn the battery switches off and let it be. If you have the option, consider a trickle charger each for house and chassis batteries. Starting the engine and letting it idle may actually do more harm that good if you don't run the engine long enough/hard enough to bring it up to operating temp. If you plan to crank it while it's in storage, take it for a spin....say 30 miles or so to make sure that the engine/transmission warm up enough to boil off any condensation that builds up while sitting in storage. If not, then you're essentially circulating water throughout the engine.

1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If no shore power turn off or better yet physically disconnect batteries (lift negative lead(s) off terminal(s) (note a pair of GC-2 6 volt in series is ONE 12 volt battery so you lift only the most negative lead).

If you have shore power leave plugged in, hooked up and turned on.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mikemc53 wrote:

I will be able to get to it every couple of weeks to run it and keep the chassis batteries going but not sure of what is best for the house batteries?

Once a month is plenty. Be sure to run it long enough to get the temp gauge up to where it normally runs.

And I think you will find that the house batteries charge when the engine runs too.

IF....you have access to shore power, it is best to get a couple of smart battery maintainers (tenders) NOT TRICKLE CHARGERS, hook one to each battery and leave it alone. Yes, do NOT start it; not necessary.

Letting your built-in charger/converter handle the task long term is not a good idea in general because many will "float" the batteries too high for long term storage.

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Lwiddis

Los Angeles :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/18 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Winter in central Florida is ideal for a solar trickle charger system. Works great for me in SoCal.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

actually batteries will self discharge faster in Florida than in the great frozen north. Do use the disconnect switches.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS