|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> extended RV warranties

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
yankeecamper

FUQUAY VARINA, NC, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK I know a lot of you will say save your money. All I want to know is if you were buying a extended warrant, what would you buy. Based on all the negativeness I have read on several forms about heartland and bighorns I feel like I should be thinking about it. Good and bad comments from those who have extended warranties and newer Heartland Bighorns are welcome. I have owned my Bighorn since May and have three major problem with it.

Barb and Rich, Fuquay Varina, NC
2017 Dodge Ram 3500 Tradesmen Quad Cab
Dually 4x2
6.7Liter HO Cummings Turbo Diesel
2017 Bighorn traveler 39MB

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/18 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Read the contract twice and slowly. And are preexisting problems covered?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

ChuckV1

Rochester WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/18 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I look at it this way, like home owners insurance if the roof falls in you have insurance to fix it you don't save up or put money away to fix the roof ... The same with RV insurance, you buy it in case something happens after your warranty runs out, sure you can put money away, but how much, how much is a new RV stove, how about the auto-leveling system pump or the frig ... How much do you save for on any of the electric stuff now days in the newer trailers, the old trailers of a few years back it was pretty simple, now day not so simple ...

Sure people will say that it's cheaper to put money aside than buy RV insurance but again how much an there most always seems to be other things needed with the money you put aside for that RV repair if needed ... RV repair shops now days charge $125 an hour in most case's, so you get 4 to 8 hours of labor plus that $800 or more Frig or heaven forbid they have to pull the slide out an now it's two days of labor to get that 18 cubic foot frig out how much do you save up to fund that repair ...

Some people/owners trade every few years an don't buy insurance stating they don't need such because they trade in the old for new, but what are they loosing in trade-ins, might as well buy the insurance, keep the trailer an save money doing so ...

Now I know that there will be owners who disagree with me an say that RV insurance is a joke an don't buy it, but over the years I have saved many dollars because of repair of a roof that had to be replaced, a frig's that had to be replaced so I can say thank God I had RV insurance to cover such ...

I still have such and will keep buying such in the future, but saying this there are bad an good RV insurance companies, so it's buyer beware of which company you buy from, this is the most important question not is an extended warranty good or bad, but what companies in the RV insurance business is good or bad !!!

Safe Travels

guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/18 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s a service contract; not really a warranty. Their maintenance requirements are designed for them to make money (think $300 for roof caulking) and they’ll deny your claim if you can’t prove that maintenance. As said, read the fine print.

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only time I bought extended warranty was on my boat and the warranty company went belly up. Many extended warranty policies aren't with the manufacturer but a secondary company. Seems to me that would be an industry ripe for selling a lot of policies and then closing the door.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 2003 Jetcraft 2125 - Yamaha 150 HP & 8 HP Kicker

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/18 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What convinced us to go with the extended warranty and a few other bells and whistles was when the sales lady showed us the price of labor at their RV dealership is now $110 an hour, in addition to the cost to replace or fix anything that may fail. She also pointed out that the electronics (not just the radio, but the entire camper electronics) is pretty sophisticated. Considering it had a 6 point self-leveling system, and everything from tank heaters to an inverted for the refrigerator, 2 batteries, and the list just went on and on, I realized how one failed item could cost a small fortune to fix or replace, so we went with it this time round.

As with any type of insurance or extended warranty... you, the owner, are gambling something will break and you'll need the service. They, the warranty-insurance company, is taking a gamble that nothing will break, or if it does some kind of exclusion will keep them from having to pay out.

It is a "gamble". You ARE playing the odds if you get the extended warranties or not. In the end, it's about your own level of comfort and peace of mind.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

And, what are the exclusions..

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/18 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

Lwiddis wrote:

And, what are the exclusions..

Basically, if you damage it yourself, it's not covered. Now, how do they determine what YOU have damaged and what is a result of inferior craftsmanship?

You hitch up your trailer, you take off down the road. You end up on a very bad gravel road. You hit a massive hole, hard, and the trailer tire hits hard. Now you have a bent rim. Who's at fault here? You the owner for being in such a situation in the first place, or "they" the manufacturer because the rim did not hold up under "normal" conditions. What's considered "normal". The warranty companies will do their best to determine the failure was a result of your negligence due to abuse on the camper, or negligence due to lack of standard-customary maintenance. That's the "exclusion" where you loose.

They can blame a failed refrigerator on you because you drove over bouncy roads and all the bouncing killed the refrigerator... your fault.

They can blame a leaky roof on your failure to take the camper in for service once a year for an inspection and now the calking is cracked causing a leak. It's your fault you didn't pay attention to it.

They can blame the radio going out because you connected to shore power and got a surge and it blew the radio. Not their fault ... yours.

It can go on and on.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/18 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

What convinced us to go with the extended warranty and a few other bells and whistles was when the sales lady showed us the price of labor at their RV dealership is now $110 an hour, (snipped)

The shop where my brother has his plane worked on only charges $90/hr... Which requires a more skilled technician and which is pure greed?

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

this also needs to be done ,you have to keep the records of all the normal maintence that the manufacture says needs to be done. there just not a good buy.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> extended RV warranties
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS