|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> extended RV warranties

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
yankeecamper

FUQUAY VARINA, NC, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thank everyone for taking the time to replay on my post. I would appreciate it if you would give me an idea of what is the best one to buy and gamble on. I'm thinking Good Sams but the high cost is holding me back. There must be some out there just as good or better for less money.

Barb and Rich, Fuquay Varina, NC
2017 Dodge Ram 3500 Tradesmen Quad Cab
Dually 4x2
6.7Liter HO Cummings Turbo Diesel
2017 Bighorn traveler 39MB

guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/18 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also, you buy a 5 yr service contract. That first one or two years is already covered by the manufacturer. Now what are you paying for is an expensive three year contract.

RAS43

Littleton,CO

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And if any plan offers a refund if not used run away! We had one and when we applied for the refund they went out of business. Thousands of us lost our money.

Aridon

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/18 08:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The dealer will thank you for buying a high commission product from them.

2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/18 04:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

Basically, if you damage it yourself, it's not covered. Now, how do they determine what YOU have damaged and what is a result of inferior craftsmanship?

It can go on and on.

Yes, they will try to get out of any claim. I'm talking about a non covered item failing and causing damage to a covered item.
Will that negate the coverage on everything?

WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/18 04:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aridon wrote:

The dealer will thank you for buying a high commission product from them.

Exactly!
The dealer pushed us harder on the extended warranty than they did on the rig purchase. In fact, the extended warranty was pushed by the finance manager, not the salesperson. Huge red flag. They like to throw out big ugly pictures and show you service bills (with and without extended warranty) and they try to scare you to buying a product that's completely unnecessary. Don't ever even think about buying an extended warranty on a towable RV product.

Now on my diesel Silverado, that's a different story. The cost of the extended warranty is LESS than one trip to dealer to fix a common DEF system problem. So that warranty is a no-brainer.

Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

southernsky

Ponchatoula La.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/18 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out Wholesale Warranties and make your own decisions. We have them and are pretty happy with it.

2019 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW Crew Cab 6.7 H.O. CTD 4X4
2016 Grand Design Solitude 369RL

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/18 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I figure that the extended warranty companies are in it to make money for themselves. They don't particularly care about you the owner.

I have been rolling around the country for over 10 years & have had over 200,000 miles pass underneath me. The trailer has had an average of some 150 nights use each year. You could say that all systems have been used alot.

No extended warranty here though I do figure on $2000 a year on maintenance, including tires as needed, for the trailer. Don't think that I have ever come near that figure except the year we had to replace the out of warranty fridge. Ouch! Same with the truck. Figure $2000 a year for maintenance, including tires but not oil changes. Almost everything over the years has been routine wear items. Bushings, shocks, seals, hoses, that sort of thing. Only been over that $2000 figure for the truck a couple times.

Have to wonder, how much would an extended warranty have cost & how much of all that routine maintenance would have been denied? I think lots of money has stayed in my own pockets.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

JKJavelin

Milwaukee, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/18 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RAS43 wrote:

And if any plan offers a refund if not used run away! We had one and when we applied for the refund they went out of business. Thousands of us lost our money.

We had one of these with our 2008 Dodge Caravan. I think the company was Fidelity (not the investment company). When we traded it in 7 years later we got all of the money back except a $50 service fee.
JK

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS--Now with Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde SRE-4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k

2017- 21 Nights
2018- 75 Nights
2019- 138 Nights

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/18 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JKJavelin wrote:

RAS43 wrote:

We had one of these with our 2008 Dodge Caravan. I think the company was Fidelity (not the investment company). When we traded it in 7 years later we got all of the money back except a $50 service fee.
JK

RAS43 and I must have had the same company. They didn’t even last to the end of my extended warranty period. $1,500 that I could have set a match too.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 2003 Jetcraft 2125 - Yamaha 150 HP & 8 HP Kicker

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> extended RV warranties
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS