|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Need tire advice

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
captpar

New Orleans

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/18 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got a flat tire on one of the inner duallys, road service found sidewall pin hole leak and can’t be repaired,tires are 5 yrs old and about 40K miles. They are hankook AH 12 16 ply. Newer hankook are AH 37 18 ply. Thinking about repaceing the two front with the AH 37 but am worried about them being 18 ply and making a hard ride. Was going to use one of the fronts to replace the damaged tire in the rear so that tread wear would be the same. Advice needed.

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/18 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bite the bullet. Buy new ones..

You can start paying to start swapping tires around but you might lose another one in a month.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Bikeboy57

Inverness, FL

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a good plan. Put the new matched rubber on the front where the possibility of a tire problem is most impactful. You also are matching the rears to some extent. You don't really want to run tires of significantly different diameter on the same side of a dually.

If you know the coach weight, you may be able to run a slightly lower pressure for a given load with the increase in plies. The lower pressure would possibly mitigate an increase in stiffness with the extra two plies.

Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/18 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you follow the manufacturer's weight chart, you will see that they give a certain PSI to handle the axle weight and it is always the same PSI regardless of the number of plies or rating. An F or a G rated tire would need the exact same PSI to carry the same weight. The only difference is that the G tire can carry more weight, if you increase the air pressure. Inflate the new tires to the proper PSI according to the actual weight on your front axle and you will not be able to tell any difference in the ride.

Wire Man

Wadsworth, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the tires are 5 years old replace them all.

NHRA Drag racing is our habit ">
Good Sams, FMCA, Cummins Power Club, Coach-Net

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/18 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Five year old tires are about aged out. They never last until the treads wear out unless they are constantly driven like an eighteen wheeler or are bad out of alignment.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/18 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

If you follow the manufacturer's weight chart, you will see that they give a certain PSI to handle the axle weight and it is always the same PSI regardless of the number of plies or rating. An F or a G rated tire would need the exact same PSI to carry the same weight. The only difference is that the G tire can carry more weight, if you increase the air pressure. Inflate the new tires to the proper PSI according to the actual weight on your front axle and you will not be able to tell any difference in the ride.

X2 and if you’ve put all the miles on the rear tires, properly inflated and used often, I would not replace the rear tires at 5 years. I was very happy with the 6 Hankooks I put on the rear of my Dynasty...not a single crack in the sidewalls at 6 years.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
How I tow.
Towing a Prius without a dolly
How I spend the winter.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Need tire advice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS