RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Winter weather without winterizing?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Winter weather without winterizing?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
bkenobi

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 09:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had my 2007 NL 10'2"QRR for around 1.5 years. Last winter the camper was at the dealer for some work and all they had me do was drain the water and run air through the system. Neither I nor they put coolant in the lines. I don't want to winterize it now since I do plan on using it over the next couple months for a few weekends but the weather right now is down into the mid-20's with highs in the 40's. I have an oil heater in the camper and all the cabinets open, but that doesn't circulate any air through the basement where the fresh water tank is located. Is there any way to keep things from getting too cold without running the HVAC? I was thinking that all that's needed is a way to circulate the air so perhaps using some kind of an inline duct booster fan attached to and sealed over the furnace outlet? Or, run an inline booster fan with a hose running down under the sink?

Right now I simply turned on the light in the tank drain compartment which adds around 4W right under the black tank. I don't think this is a sufficient solution if it gets really cold, it's just all I have at the moment.

We only get temps in the 20's for a couple weeks in November or December and then again in February time frame. Outside of that, we only see mid to upper 30's as a low. I really don't want to run the HVAC since it burns a lot of propane and puts hours on the furnace for no real reason though it would keep things from freezing.

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 10:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What's the question?

If you've blown out the lines, what's left to freeze?

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 10:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP said..."We only get temps in the 20's for a couple weeks in November or December and then again in February time frame. Outside of that, we only see mid to upper 30's as a low. I really don't want to run the HVAC since it burns a lot of propane and puts hours on the furnace for no real reason though it would keep things from freezing."

If your zip code is 98101 below your screen name, what you did is what I do also. Matter of fact nothing is on in ours right now and never had a problem. Only going to be below freezing for couple of hours. But cold snaps which not unusual sometimes in Dec and Jan. Then I open up low points to drain water and blow out entire system with air. I'm close, several zip codes away.

* This post was edited 12/05/18 10:56pm by path1 *

bkenobi

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 10:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, Seattle area here. I was told by people from east of the mountains that winterizing is critical but temps don't get as cold on the west side. I currently have water in the fresh water tank and the gray/black are empty. I could drain the fresh tank and blow it out, but since I want to use it in the near future seems like adding a little heat would be more than enough for our weather. But I'm new to TC's so I want to make sure I don't cause needless damage.

Also, is there any concern that should be paid to outside shower head? I beleive I drained it last use but is that sufficient so long as we don't get a sustained freeze?

path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 11:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it makes you feel better winterize it. Better safe than sorry and you'll feel better. Years ago I lost the toilet valve and temps weren't that cold, temps just below freezing but for a couple days, not hours like weather we're seeing now. I worry more about floor covering cracking than pipes.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/18 12:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the time it's taken between your 2 posts in this thread, you could have winterized it....twice.
Going to be low 20s here tonight and a few spots haven't lost frost in about 3 days.
But if you've gambled and won, come tomorrow morning, then I guess you're fine.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/18 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GordonThree wrote:

What's the question?

If you've blown out the lines, what's left to freeze?

The drain traps... pour a little antifreeze down the sinks and the shower.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MOR/ryde independent suspension, disc brakes, LR G tires
PullRite OE 18K, Demco Glide Ride pin box
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

bkenobi

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/18 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never use the shower, but that's a good point. I should put some down the shower and bathroom drains just in case. The kitchen sink will be fine since cabinets are open, but bathroom isn't exposed either.

I opened the drains last night. I decided 30ish gallons of water is cheaper and easier to replace than busted pipes. i'll blow them out today.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/18 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bkenobi wrote:

Neither I nor they put coolant in the lines.

I wouldn't want coolant in the lines either.

RV Antifreeze would be OK.

I've been using the "blow out the lines" technique for years and have been fine with that. I also dump some RV Antifreeze in the sink and shower drains.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2015 Nash 17k (bought pre-owned 5/23/18)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/18 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bkenobi wrote:

I was told by people from east of the mountains that winterizing is critical but temps don't get as cold on the west side.

I was on the west side for 4 years with my camper, I blew out the line sand dumped antifreeze in the drains.

I'm now in the east side. I use the same technique, plus I run a small amount of antifreeze through the pump.

Winterizing my truck camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Winter weather without winterizing?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS