|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
jfkbunkie

Chicago

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/18 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is our first year storing a Class A for the winter. Previously, with towables (and inexpensive used ones, at that), I just protected the plumbing and not much else. Now, with a brand new Class A, I'd like to be more thorough. We're storing outdoors in the cold and snowy midwest, so I bought a cover. Looking for opinions from others on:

1. Relieving weight from tires
2. Periodically exercising the drivetrain
3. House battery disconnection vs. maintenance charging
4. Deterring rodent entry

dalenoel

S.E. Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/18 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your situation may be different but in Michigan I do the same for the coach as I did with the TT. I have it next to the S&B so it is plugged in all the time. I do not cover but we leave for south in January. I do not exercise the drive train but will use the block heater prior to driving. rodent entry has not been a problem at this house but was at our other home. Normal plugging of all entry points, etc. for rodents. I also do not put it up on jacks.

Don't know if this helps but it may give you other ideas.

03 Monaco 36PBD DP - 06 Malibu Maxx Toad (SOLD) 18 Focus Toad
08 Jayco Eagle 322FKS (SOLD)
Wife and myself, Lutheran Deacon, Oreo the Malshi, and maybe a grandkid or two
Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/18 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jfkbunkie wrote:

This is our first year storing a Class A for the winter. Previously, with towables (and inexpensive used ones, at that), I just protected the plumbing and not much else. Now, with a brand new Class A, I'd like to be more thorough. We're storing outdoors in the cold and snowy midwest, so I bought a cover. Looking for opinions from others on:

1. Relieving weight from tires
2. Periodically exercising the drivetrain
3. House battery disconnection vs. maintenance charging
4. Deterring rodent entry

Well JFK,
I will answer your points directly:
1 - Makes little difference. Covered is good, but it isn't sun that hurts them, it is heat and you won't see much of that for a while.
2 - Don't do it. Unless you plan to take the coach out on the sale (fender solvent) coated roads long enough to get it to full temperature, leave it alone. You give us no hint what it is, if it is gas, you might (notice - Might) like to fog it. Diesels are best left alone. There is a way to fog a diesel, but don't do it if you don't know how.
3 - If you have reliable shore power available, I feel maintenance charging is best. If not, fully disconnect them. Both main engine and house banks. (Take pictures if there is more than a single cable removed.
4 - Good luck with this one. Try everything, we have had no success with Irish Spring or Dryer sheets, some with Cab Fresh, peppermint oil and mint leaves. Not much is 100% sure.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/18 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Exercise your generator (if equipped) under a load once a month for about 30-40 minutes.

I keep out 96 Southwind plugged in to shore power 24/7 when not being used.

jfkbunkie

Chicago

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/18 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies. Are all in agreement that covering is not necessary in the wintertime?

Also, has anyone had experience with spraying the ground with ammonia around the perimeter to keep mice away?

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/18 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jfkbunkie wrote:

Thanks for the replies. Are all in agreement that covering is not necessary in the wintertime?

Also, has anyone had experience with spraying the ground with ammonia around the perimeter to keep mice away?

I think covering is based on preference but a couple things to consider - aside from is being a huge pain to take on and off in the summer let alone winter;
If you plan to travel at all in the winter, snow and ice are a royal PITA to deal with and the cover is on. Also, covers can rub the paint and the buckles can scratch.

I had a cover once, used it for about a month before a few things happened. I got tired of putting it on and removing it, if there was snow or ice it can bond to the RV making it tough and dangerous and possibly damaging to try and remove it, the buckles scratched and in decent wind the cover started to tear. Add to the difficult task of storing it while not in use and if it's wet then what?

All in all the cover simply had far more issues than benefit - if any. Winter exacerbated the issues.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS