RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Gear - my list, any suggestions?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> RV Gear - my list, any suggestions?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
2manytoyz

Central FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/18 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

Do you have pets? If you do, make sure you add their shot records. We have 2 dogs and a cat. All are up on their vet shots. We keep their shot records and certificates in the camper all the time, since we park the camper at home when not traveling. That way, whenever we go anywhere with the camper, their records are always with us.

Also, if you have pets, remember to add pet-food and pet-supplies.

um... I didn't see "wife" on your list either? ... [emoticon] is that a subtle message? [emoticon]

Those are already there. PET RECORDS, and PET SUPPLIES. I also have the dog's shot records stored on my iPhone as a PDF.

The wife is on "another list". [emoticon]

Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2015 Forest River Georgetown 328TS
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/18 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deleted, as unnecessary....Dennis

* This post was edited 12/06/18 11:33pm by Executive *

EDUCATION IS IMPORTANT, BUT CAMPING IS IMPORTANTER!
Dennis and Debi Ten Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

2manytoyz

Central FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/18 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

The list is good, but you appear to have some duplication:

beach chairs and folding chairs
lantern, portable cfl light, and flashlights
garage towels and shop rags.

I would reorg your list according to item type (all stoves/grills, etc) and look to see what you can eliminate. Every little space helps.

If either of you have sensitive skin, make sure you bring your preffered laundry detergent - you may not find that brand when you head to the laundromat. [emoticon]

With the limited spacing I'm using for each line item, these can appear to the be the same thing, and might be for some. I'll try to explain the differences and reasoning for including them.

Keep in mind not all things on the list go every trip. I simply scratch them off if not taking an item.

The beach chairs we have are short and lightweight. Great for their intended use, but too short for the campsite. 'tis the reason we carry both types when beach camping.

If we are boondocking, I'll take the propane lantern. If not, it stays at home as it is bulky. Since I bring Dewalt 18V cordless tools and batteries, the Dewalt 18V CFL light is quite useful. Runs for about 3.5 hours per battery.

The flashlight is quite small, and I just designed a holder for it. I keep one storage bays unlocked, and the holder is just inside the door. Better for troubleshooting due to its size, but not effective for illuminating the entire campsite.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3241135

[image]

Shop rags are small, good for motor work. I consider them disposable. Garage towels (old house towels) are large, great for drying the dog after a bath, putting on the floor by the door to minimize dirt in the coach, and for putting on the ground if working under a vehicle.

Depending on the size coach someone has, any sort of overlap or duplication would be an issue. For now, we have plenty of storage room, and weight capacity left.

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/18 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ammo.

Folding PVC laundry rack for ladder.

Sewer hose support. I used to scoff at those but we stayed at a place for a month with clay dirt and the hose was mired in sticky clay. Total PITA to clean.

Step for uneven sites.

Out door dog beds.

LED miners light.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

2manytoyz

Central FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/18 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Executive wrote:

Why anyone needs a list is beyond me. My 'list' has changed so much over the past 10 years it's a non issue. For instance, why would you take a gallon of distilled water? Water is 8#/gallon and distilled water costs less than $1/gallon. You won't need a gallon to fill your batteries anyway so if they're low, stop by a Wally World and fill em up. I do carry tools, adjusted as I traveled. I like to tinker also so I also carry a set of drill bits, some sandpaper etc. Necessary items like a decent fire extinguisher, a small battery charger, a small inverter and some road flares/reflectors. Three pack of the small orange cones also. Biggest mistake full timers make is with the clothes. Especially when it comes to weight. As we full time, we don't stay long, if at all in colder climates. ONE jacket is sufficient! ONE sweatshirt and you'll survive. I laugh when I visit people who have a closet full of these items. Think of the weight savings without carrying all these heavy unnecessary items. Also, go through your coach every two years and throw out/donate anything you haven't used. I carried an extra water pump for three years before giving it to a fellow camper. Still haven't needed it. IMO, your list is great if you're filling up the coach for the first time. After that, adjust for your way of traveling. Of course, don't forget the VISA card. Many things just aren't worth lugging around....Dennis

Some people have an excellent memory, and never forget anything. I've never met one, but I'm sure they exist. Or maybe I did, I can't remember! I suffer from CRS. If it's not on a list, I'll find a need for it at the wrong time.

FWIW, I'm the guy at campgrounds that usually is the one with the resources to help fellow campers. Overly prepared, perhaps. But I've never been the one with the panicked look on my face trying to come up with a solution, despite the many gremlins I've dealt with.

If you camp near cities, running to Walmart is an option. The places I sometimes go, are a LONG way from Wallyworld. They are also sometimes well away from cell phone coverage.

Between my coach, and the TOAD, I have 6 batteries to maintain. On long trips, I'll take a gallon of DI water. 8.3 lbs. of weight to keep $1K worth of batteries healthy is a good trade off for me. On shorter trips, I'll simply cross that item off the list.

Most places we are visiting for now, are the same climate. But we will be making future trips up North during Winter months. 80 degrees at home, below freezing where we are headed. We'll pack clothes accordingly.

Please understand, I'm not trying to get YOU to change what you carry. That's not the intent of my post. I'm working on my list, not yours. If you find anything useful on mine, great, if not, okeedokie. [emoticon]

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/18 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There seem to be broad categories of things missing, but maybe that's intentional.

Soap? Shampoo? Dishes and utensils and cups and napkins? Kleenex? LInens? First aid supplies? Windex and bathroom cleaner and multi-purpose household cleaner?

There are a few items I would definitely add in the general categories you do list: wheel chocks, a window squeegee and bucket, windshield washer fluid, insect repellant (preferably high-DEET), electric space heater, .... There are a few substitutions I would make: gorilla tape for ordinary duct/duck tape jumps out. There are some more personal choices I would have differently, too (fewer tools in general, add my small splitting axe, etc.

2manytoyz

Central FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/18 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Katuna wrote:

Ammo.

Folding PVC laundry rack for ladder.

Sewer hose support. I used to scoff at those but we stayed at a place for a month with clay dirt and the hose was mired in sticky clay. Total PITA to clean.

Step for uneven sites.

Out door dog beds.

LED miners light.

I'll have to look into the rack idea.

We do have a hose support that I bring. Not needed it yet, but your example is a good reason. I'll add it to my list.

For steps, I have that covered under DUNNAGE, and LEVELING BLOCKS.

Our dog is only outside when we are. He's either on his momma's lap, or hanging out on the patio mat. Sissy dog.

Really like the headlamp idea. I have several at home. I'll add it to my list.

Thanks for the input!

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/18 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK. That makes sense.

For me, I would have two lists. One for stuff that stays in the RV all the time (like the flashlight) and another for the stuff you have to add each trip (beach chairs).

The first list would be more of a "did I pull that from the RV" reminder. Not necessary to check each item each trip, but a reminder in case you borrowed the flashlight to work on the car and left in in the garage, etc.

The second list would be the items I have to add and remove each trip. Separating that out into "Always Take" and "Seasonal or Specific Trip" would help go through it quicker also.

And don't forget paper documents (and a flash drive with the electronic versions). Things like pets' vaccinations, your med lists, any permits or licenses, etc.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

discovery4us

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/18 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife has binders of these lists and she adds and subtracts all the time. I am more of the "throw in my other pair of clean pants and lets go" mentality.

MH or stick and brick if we don't have it we go to the store and get it. If we are in the middle of no where than we improvise until we can get back to town. This improvising is because we are not full timers. If we were full timing than we would just up and move closer to what we needed and when we got it we would go back to the middle of nowhere.

I do not want to wish my life away but being retired and able to let weather and personal interests dictate travel and my location rather than what my time off from work allows sounds amazing!!!!!

2manytoyz

Central FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/18 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

There seem to be broad categories of things missing, but maybe that's intentional.

Soap? Shampoo? Dishes and utensils and cups and napkins? Kleenex? LInens? First aid supplies? Windex and bathroom cleaner and multi-purpose household cleaner?

There are a few items I would definitely add in the general categories you do list: wheel chocks, a window squeegee and bucket, windshield washer fluid, insect repellant (preferably high-DEET), electric space heater, .... There are a few substitutions I would make: gorilla tape for ordinary duct/duck tape jumps out. There are some more personal choices I would have differently, too (fewer tools in general, add my small splitting axe, etc.

Some items are in general categories, only because the list would be quite a bit longer if I went into greater detail.

I added an RV CLEANING SUPPLIES item, which will include the RV brush, and RV windshield squeegee.

When I had a TT, I always brought tire chocks. Don't see much of a need with a Class A. Between the transmission in park, parking brake set, and stabilizers down, not going anywhere. Might be useful when changing a tire, but I'll use my RV insurance if needed, and let them worry about that.

I stopped bringing an axe only because so many FL campgrounds either don't allow campfires, or require you to use their $ firewood.

The electric space heater is covered by HEATER. That also gives me the option of bringing my Buddy Heater if boondocking.

I do have insect repellent listed but realized it was misspelled. The stuff I use is typically 25% DEET. I live only a few miles from the aptly named mosquito lagoon. I've tried the alternatives, including electronic pest repellers, I'll take DEET, thank you.

I have a Mosquito Magnet at home. This is from a few days during the peak of one season. The collection basket was FULL.

[image]

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> RV Gear - my list, any suggestions?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS