RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Gear - my list, any suggestions?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> RV Gear - my list, any suggestions?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/18 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I made my drying rack with 1/2” pvc. Like a ladder about 2’ x 2’.

I glued the tees but not the cross pieces so it comes apart for storage and wind the rope with a caribener around it which is also to suspend it from the ladder.

They sell them for like $50 at CW.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/18 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2manytoyz wrote:

I stopped bringing an axe only because so many FL campgrounds either don't allow campfires, or require you to use their $ firewood.

I have a hatchet we've carried with us since we tent camped some 30 plus years ago. Very seldom does it get used for hacking up firewood. But I keep dragging it along because the other end makes a great hammer for driving tent pegs or spikes in the ground to hold things down. The hatchet has been used as a hammer much more than as a hatchet. I'm a firm believer in having items that have multiple purposes.

We have a couple large cutting boards for the kitchen. They double up as a cutting board and a portable table when outside. I also use it on the picnic table to put utensils on since we almost never use a table cloth on the campground supplied picnic tables. In our old camper it was a cover for the stove top to make more counter space since that trailer didn't have a stove top cover. So, there's a multiple uses for the 2 cutting boards we bring along.

We never carry scissors either, since we have a butcher block set of nice quality steak knives and it came with meat scissors. We use the meat scissors for everything. They even work well for cutting thin wire. By thinking this way, we've just eliminated a par of fabric scissors and a wire cutter tool.

If you look for items that have multi-task purposes, you can eliminate a lot of things. Of course, learning to use an item for multi-tasking is usually a result of "having to", more than "planning to", mostly because you've forgotten to bring something along with you and now you have to improvise.

I carried a length of thin rope (about 50 feet) in each of my campers for years. Used it a few times to hold things down in the wind or cover things up with a tarp because of rain. Then one day I was messing around with that rope and tied a loop in the end, and started wrapping it around our cat. Turned out I figured out how to make a harness out of that rope for the cat. When the cat struggles to get away, the rope only gets tighter and tighter the more he pulls and tugs if the other end of the rope is tied or being held. So, actually, that rope because useful as a cat harness and leash now more than using a tie down for covering stuff with a tarp. It works ... multi-task. We threw out all our cat harnesses that the cat slips out of.

And there's a lot more. But we're not minimalists at all. On the other hand, some items we just don't compromise with. For example, we carry an electric skillet and 2 flat griddles. We also have a Coleman camp stove, the stove in the camper, the microwave, and an oven in the camper. But we also use them all at one time or another too. We also carry fire starter packets and a grate if we decide to fix something over a fire. We also carry an electric coffee pot and an old style camp percolator coffee pot, just in case we loose electric power, we can still make coffee on the gas stove top or over a fire. You can't compromise that, not when it comes to coffee.... right?

DutchmenSport

2019 Montana High Country 375FL Fifth Wheel
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually

2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 even older folks now, but still lots of love!
And yes, it really does have a door on the opposite side:

dcmac214

SW OKLA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/18 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We also have a checklist for what to bring. DW organized it into areas (bedroom, bathroom, tunnel, etc) and it's a LOT more detailed/specific as to individual items. Items that always stay in the RV are in regular print; items that we pack & unpack every trip are in bold print.

Two things I think you "must" add to your list are:

Quarter (or change) can for vending machines, laundromat, etc.

And a comment something like this (that's at the top and bottom of our checklist because we usually have one or more of our kids or Gkids with us): "Do NOT bring any items of great monetary or personal value - they may get lost or stolen."

imgoin4it

Alamogordo, NM USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/18 02:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Couple of things that may not be picked up in even over thinking a list. We had to park the motor home for a week or so and fly to Alaska for a funeral. Did not have a suit case for travel nor clothes for a funeral. Now we do. Have a wrench for every nut and bolt on coach and toad. How about the 1 1/16 socket for the anode rod in the water heater if you have that heater. ? Pass ports. a telephone book for "home", These are just a couple of thigs we have encountered over the years for 3 months out then 3 months home. Also don't worry about taking every possible thing that is low cost and available in every Walmart.

Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/18 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some kind of ebook device. We have a couple of Kindles and use them both at home and on our RV. All of our books can be contained in this one device which saves mucho space in the RV.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/18 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

You can't compromise that, not when it comes to coffee.... right?

You got that right Dutch. Coffee ranks right up there with taking the medication's. No coffee, then no trip, it's the first thing I put in the rig. I drink Mount Hagen Decaff; it's the best, but spendy.

Anyway, one real lifesaver for the camping list is 3 feet of .040 Stainless safety wire. You can roll it up around your fingers, it has practically no weight, but can support a lot of weight for anything broken. Now that I have a toad, I'm not as uptight about bringing everything. We don't boondock, I can usually drive to get something real critical.

Retired Anesthetist. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS .Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey. Thorp T18, tons of tools and tons of junk.

Skid Row Joe

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/18 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2manytoyz wrote:

Executive wrote:

Why anyone needs a list is beyond me.

Some people have an excellent memory, and never forget anything. I've never met one, but I'm sure they exist. Or maybe I did, I can't remember! I suffer from CRS. If it's not on a list, I'll find a need for it at the wrong time.

FWIW, I'm the guy at campgrounds that usually is the one with the resources to help fellow campers. Overly prepared, perhaps. But I've never been the one with the panicked look on my face trying to come up with a solution, despite the many gremlins I've dealt with.

If you camp near cities, running to Walmart is an option. The places I sometimes go, are a LONG way from Wallyworld. They are also sometimes well away from cell phone coverage.

Between my coach, and the TOAD, I have 6 batteries to maintain. On long trips, I'll take a gallon of DI water. 8.3 lbs. of weight to keep $1K worth of batteries healthy is a good trade off for me. On shorter trips, I'll simply cross that item off the list.

Most places we are visiting for now, are the same climate. But we will be making future trips up North during Winter months. 80 degrees at home, below freezing where we are headed. We'll pack clothes accordingly.

Please understand, I'm not trying to get YOU to change what you carry. That's not the intent of my post. I'm working on my list, not yours. If you find anything useful on mine, great, if not, okeedokie. [emoticon]

I'm with you, ManyToyz!

For example; the guy that recommended AMMO. Then, your pet's annual shots papers.

Invaluable!

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/18 11:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2manytoyz wrote:

/snip/ For you full-timers, I'd appreciate any feedback on the list, or even a copy of yours.

http://2manytoyz.com/camp/motorhome-gear.pdf

Thanks!

Robert, I guess I missed the first part of your post that you were NOT going full time, since you asked for feedback from us full timers. Full time RVing obviously is different from the weekenders etc. If you're a full timer those beach chairs you left home on your last trip won't be with you cuz you're home wherever you are. Obviously your list is and should be different from mine. I responded as a full timer. Sorry I misunderstood....Dennis

EDUCATION IS IMPORTANT, BUT CAMPING IS IMPORTANTER!
Dennis and Debi Ten Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

accsys

Green Cove Springs, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/18 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since we travel for 6-7 months every summer, our situation is a little different. With the exception of food, everything is duplicated in the MH. I mean everything - tools, lights, clothes, pots and pans, etc. The only thing that gets backed for a trip is food. When we get back from a trip, we wash the clothes and put them back in the MH and bring in all of the food to the house. We we leave in April we take all of the food from the house into the MH and go. If we take a short trip, like our two-week one starting next week-end, we just take what food we think we will need, again on return washing the clothes and putting them back in the MH and bring whatever food is left back into the house. Anytime we want to go we just need to add food, everything else is already there. We hardly ever go anywhere we need dressy clothes but we have one set, in a garment bag, in the MH so we will have it no matter if we are gone or at home. We also have not duplicated our computers, tablets, WiFi, DirecTV equipment so those have to be transferred each trip but not likely to be forgotten!! [emoticon]

John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2007 Tiffin Phaeton QDH 40 w/Cat 7 350
2004 Liberty Renegade 4x4 Toad
Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar
Air Force One toad braking system
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/18 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Being from Michigan we look forward to the UP sky this summer with the add item on our list.......................... WEED! Ah back to the 60's again!!

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> RV Gear - my list, any suggestions?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS