RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Replacing thermostat for gas furnace only

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Replacing thermostat for gas furnace only

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
VA-Apraisr

glen allen, VA

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/18 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have a 2003 Fourwinds with the old style wall thermostat with the hard on/off switch and temp adjustment below with just bars (no numbers). On several occasions, the furnace will start and heat up camper but won't continue to keep comfortable. Would have to get up and bump it on and sometimes it would stay on then not work again an hour later (sleepless nights). Any suggestions on replacing it with a more modern unit? This only works the propane furnace ( have a separate ceiling a/c unit with manual knob adjustment). Thanks!

2oldman

Salton Sea

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/18 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some ideas.

Many of us have done this.

ROBERTSUNRUS

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/18 10:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[emoticon] Hi, one of the best things that I did for my trailer was to install a digital thermostat for my furnace. Find the simplest one that you can. Mine has controls for the air conditioner too and they don't get used because I have a manual air conditioner like you have.

"> Bob ">
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/18 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to Lowe’s or Home Depot and buy one of the cheaper thermostats for home use. Nobody needs 7- day programmable internet access for a camper. The cheapest home thermostat just needs to close the circuit when the set temperature is reached and open the circuit again a degree or two warmer.

rrupert

NW PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/18 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

naturist wrote:

Go to Lowe’s or Home Depot and buy one of the cheaper thermostats for home use. Nobody needs 7- day programmable internet access for a camper. The cheapest home thermostat just needs to close the circuit when the set temperature is reached and open the circuit again a degree or two warmer.

I agree, a digital non-programmable is all you need.

Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU

VA-Apraisr

glen allen, VA

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/18 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Will do..........thanks as always!!

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/18 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had those symptoms, got the digital thermostat, furnace still does that. It is more to do with the burner and ignition.

After some efforts there, it mostly cycles ok, but once in a while just blows cold air and you have to shut it off, wait till fan stops, turn it on and after fan starts wait for the boom when it comes on properly.

It has nothing to do with the thermostat in our case. Might in your case, but don't be surprised if that doesn't solve everything.

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI

VA-Apraisr

glen allen, VA

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/18 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, hoping for the best! Mine sees alot of beach use and think the spring in the old thermostat has rusted up some because when I move it back and forth a few times, it normally starts working ok again. But, if not, will certainly look at the igniter. Only cost $22 for the cheapo new unit from Lowe's. Thanks!

ronfisherman

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/18 03:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While looking at the igniter. Check the connection on furnace control board. I needed to use some contact cleaner on the board where a wire connector attaches to the board.

2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
TST tire pressure monitor system
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad

Super C Group Forum

VA-Apraisr

glen allen, VA

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/18 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, got a Honeywell RTH111 non-programmable termostat.....question: It has 8-wire pins on back labeled "B,O,G,Y,W, R, Rc" and don't know which to hookup the red or white wires coming from my old thermostat. Anyone know which to use? As usual, the diagrams on instructions are almost impossible to understand. Trial and error should give me the answer, but thought I'd ask beforehand. Thanks!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Replacing thermostat for gas furnace only
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS