RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Commercial Plates for 250/2500 in New York State??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Commercial Plates for 250/2500 in New York State??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
BeerBrewer

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/18 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was just told by a friend that in New York State that I would have to register a 250/2500 or 350/3500 as a commercial vehicle because it weighs over 6000 lbs! If true, that means I can't use any of the parkways even when not towing.

So I went to the DMV web site and found the following

If your modified pick-up truck with an unladen weight greater than 6,000 lbs., you can register it in the 'Passenger' class if it meets the following conditions:

* the pick-up truck does not have any business advertisements and is used exclusively for non-commercial purposes
* a camper top having one or more side windows completely encloses the truck bed
* the pick-up truck has seats, seat fittings, or camping equipment installed in the truck bed
'camping equipment” indicates that you have a permanent bed, a permanent stove, or a permanent refrigerator in the vehicle.

Does the 5th Wheel Hitch mounted in the bed qualify as "camping equipment"?

Not being able to use the Long Island parkways is a real PITA! Has anyone faced this issue?

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/18 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BeerBrewer wrote:

I
* the pick-up truck has seats, seat fittings, or camping equipment installed in the truck bed
'camping equipment” indicates that you have a permanent bed, a permanent stove, or a permanent refrigerator in the vehicle.

Unless your fifth wheel hitch doubles as a permanent bed, permanent stove, or a permanent refrigerator, I don't think you have an issue.

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/18 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BeerBrewer wrote:

If your modified pick-up truck with an unladen weight greater than 6,000 lbs.,

What is the NY State definition of MODIFIED pickup. If you have a STOCK passenger pickup truck, that's not modified....

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2014 Ram 2500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2016 Lacrosse 324RST

BeerBrewer

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/18 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike... What they are saying that if the truck is over 6000 lbs I have to register it as a commercial vehicle. However if I modify it by installing seats or seat fittings, or camping equipment in the truck bed they will register it as a passenger vehicle. I think the whole idea of adding seats or seat brackets, etc. into the truck bed basically renders is useless as a commercial vehicle so it can be considered a passenger vehicle. I'm wondering if the DMV considers a 5th wheel hitch as "camping equipment" because it technically also renders the truck useless as a commercial vehicle.

Do other states do this?

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/18 10:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 5th wheel hitch could be used by a hotshot driver to to a 5W hitched trailer that hauls cars, or 5W RV trailers or equal........
I personally would have an issue with a 5W hitch in and of itself......

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/18 10:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unfortunately, it doesn't look good. You need to actually read the exact wording of the regulations as it gives a lot more clarification as to exactly what they say. The generic version makes it sound like you have a choice of one of the three while the actual written law sounds like it;s all. This is the actual written law for that section:

A pickup truck which is used exclusively for non-commercial purposes with an unladen weight over 5,000 pounds, with no business advertising, with the bed completely enclosed by a camper top, with at least one side window in the camper top, and with seats, seat fittings or camping equipment mounted in the bed, may receive a passenger registration, at the registrant's option. These modifications must be permanent. Camping equipment means that a bed, stove or refrigerator must always be in the vehicle. Any use of the truck without these modifications requires the vehicle to be registered as a commercial vehicle.
15 CRR-NY 106.6
NY-CRR
Current 2018

So it sounds like you must have no commercial advertising, AND a cap with two windows on the sides, AND a sleeping bed, refrigerator or stove in the pickup AND those items must be permanently mounted. So it appears a fifth wheel hitch in an open bed will not be sufficient to make it a passenger registration.

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/18 03:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ItsyRV wrote:

So it appears a fifth wheel hitch in an open bed will not be sufficient to make it a passenger registration.

I agree. I don't think you can register the truck as a passenger vehicle based on the info from the DMV website.

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/18 04:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BeerBrewer wrote:

Mike... What they are saying that if the truck is over 6000 lbs I have to register it as a commercial vehicle. However if I modify it by installing seats or seat fittings, or camping equipment in the truck bed they will register it as a passenger vehicle. I think the whole idea of adding seats or seat brackets, etc. into the truck bed basically renders is useless as a commercial vehicle so it can be considered a passenger vehicle. I'm wondering if the DMV considers a 5th wheel hitch as "camping equipment" because it technically also renders the truck useless as a commercial vehicle.

Do other states do this?
My advice is to go to/call the DMV and talk to someone. DMV rules are not easily interpreted.

To me this is saying that to bypass the commercial vehicle designation, you must modify the truck bed to carry passengers. Does the DMV really want you to carry passengers in the bed?

I'm betting that a fifth wheel hitch would qualify as camping equipment - it is isn't it? I'd be interested in what they say about this.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/18 05:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fifth wheel hitches in the bed of pickup trucks are used routinely for commercial use... I would be amazed if the DMV said that fell under just camping equipment.

scbwr

North Ridgeville, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/18 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your next option is to contact the law enforcement agencies that patrol the Long Island Parkway and see what they say about "commercial" pickup trucks that are obviously just privately owned trucks. When we lived near Niagara Falls, I know that some folks with RVers traveled on the Robert Moses Parkway which has restrictions on commercial vehicles.

And, the next time you are on the Parkway, see if there are "commercial" trucks on the parkway. It could be one of those things that rates as a low priority by the patrolling police.

2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Commercial Plates for 250/2500 in New York State??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS