|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Tow Vehicle Nissan Armada

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BadgerMcAdams

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/18 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Texas51 wrote:

What year Armada did you have? After 2016 alot has changed (or so they say?) What SUV would you guys recommend then? It can't just be pickups [emoticon] . The Armada has a 1,700 lbs payload. Trailer tongue weight of 850 lbs. Here are the three we are interested. I will end up with one of those (just not sure which)
COLEMAN LIGHT LX 2125BH - Length 25.8ft - Hitch weight 542lbs - dry weight 4,380 - cargo weight 3,220.
Coachmen RV Apex Nano 193BHS - Length 22ft - Hitch weight 370lbs - dry weight 3,467 - cargo weight 1,250.
KEYSTONE BULLET 243BHS - Length 27ft - Hitch weight 530lbs - dry weight 4,880lbs - cargo weight 1,660lbs

Using your numbers listed here is what you have...I am only using half the listed cargo weight for this computation. But we know in reality that nature abhors unused cargo weight and unless you are very strict on your weight payloads, it will most likely get used.

Coleman:

4380 + (3220 / 2) = 4380 + 1610 = 5990 x 0.15 = 898.5 TW

Coachman:

3495 + (1205 / 2) = 3495 + 602.5 = 4097.5 x 0.15 = 614.625 TW

Keystone:

4880 + (1660 / 2) = 4880 + 830 = 5710 x 0.15 = 856.5 TW

So using half cargo weights, two of the trailers are already over the 850 Tongue Weight you have listed.

According to the specifications listed for a 2018 Armada, the Dead Weight and Distributed Weight ratings for the tow assy is 850 lbs max. So with or without a WDH, you are limited to a maximum of 850 lbs TW.

So while my computations may be off depending on the actual Real World ratings of the vehicles and trailers, in my humble opinion, the Armada is not going to be an optimal tow vehicle for at least two of the trailers you have listed.

Your mileage may vary, see dealer for details...

Texas51

North Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/18 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for running the actual numbers. That really puts it in perspective. I think you are half cargo capacity is right on target as well so seeing the numbers with that info is very a very realistic approach.

Dam. I am lucky I haven't bought anything yet. I just don't know what TV to get. Pickups are useless for me. If I am just buying a TV that I only use for towing than I might as well get a class B.

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/18 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Texas51 wrote:

What year Armada did you have? After 2016 alot has changed (or so they say?)

It was a 2017. I had high hopes for it, because the Nissan Patrol is one of my favorite global vehicles. But they seemed to have softened it up a lot for the Armada re-badge, probably to soften the ride for our crumbling highways. The final deal breaker was seat comfort. I could never get comfortable in the giant sofa-seats up front. But, bigger drivers would probably love them. They're super soft and plush, but lack any lateral support.

That all said, the Infiniti version (the QX80) has better seats, and active suspension. I would absolutely consider one of those. You could probably get a 2017 coming off lease, for the same price as a new Armada.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Texas51

North Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/18 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice. The QX80 even looks like the Armada. I never looked into since I knew it was basically a pricier Armada. I will consider finding a used one maybe off lease like you said. Thanks for the advice.

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/18 03:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Texas51 wrote:

Nice. The QX80 even looks like the Armada. I never looked into since I knew it was basically a pricier Armada. I will consider finding a used one maybe off lease like you said. Thanks for the advice.

But what a butt-ugly front end on the QX80.

redhooker

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/18 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The DW drove an Armada for about 10 years and over 200k. We have a bit of experience as we towed quite a bit with it.

I would have no issue towing the max weight with that truck. The factory hitch is rated higher than the truck and is clearly marked 10,000 lbs gross weight and 1000 lbs tongue weight.

The 390hp gas motor makes plenty of power but is thirsty- she averaged about 14 mpg normal driving. The auto airbags in the rear leveled the truck nicely under load. The weak link in the drivetrain seems like it should be the Dana 44 rear end, but it never gave us any trouble. In fact, in over 200,000 miles repairs were limited to brakes, radiator leak, and paint issues. As a lover of all cars American this reliability was disheartening to say the least.

We only ran Michelin tires after the original garbage Continentals and the ride improvement was tremendous on the 18 inch wheels. The Armada pulled a 7500 pound boat more comfortably than my 2001 6.0 2500HD. We found the interior very comfortable and more spacious than her current Yukon Denali. The longer wheelbase was much more stable at highway speed as well. The radio buttons did wear the paint off but the same is happening in the GMC now.

We would own one again if the opportunity arose, but the most interesting aspect is in 2019 rumor has it they may offer a Cummins diesel motor which would be the only full size SUV diesel out today.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/18 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another factor to consider:
TTs weights can vary a LOT in the course of a trip. fresh water gets used and ends up in the grey /black. Food gets eaten and leaves the cupboards/fridge , and ends up in the waste tanks. Clean clothes get worn and end up in the dirty clothes. Propane gets burned and disappears. Etc. Many other things may shift around as well. How big a factor all of this weight moving around is for you.....Is impossible to predict. It all depends on YOUR usage patterns and the layout of the trailer.
Nobody any forum can tell you either.

Using my TT as an example... I have FOUR 42 gallon waste tanks! That is 1344# of waste! We usually tow it home with full waste tanks. So our weight distribution, just in tanks is far different than it was at the beginning of the trip...

Keep that in mind when selecting your TT/TV.
Cutting it close on weights can leave you with a bad match. You need some leeway, as until you actually use it.... It is all an estimation.
Better to error on the good side of the limits than on the bad side... And it is a lot cheaper as well.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

Texas51

North Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/18 10:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been looking at the Nissan Titan XD as well. I would be able to get a bench in the front and that would add an extra seat. That might be a good option for me. I should have no problems towing anything on my list with a Titan XD. My wife is open to the idea so that's a plus. The issue with pickups is seating. I would rather have the third row. I guess the bench seat would help though.

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/18 03:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

food for though........... an f150 and compact car can be had for the same price. a 3.5 eco boost (maybe even a 5.0) will handle what you are asking to pull and the family can take the car in chase. mileage will be around the same but you will have extra space extra payload and an extra vehicle to use.

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/18 05:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BadgerMcAdams wrote:

Texas51 wrote:

What year Armada did you have? After 2016 alot has changed (or so they say?) What SUV would you guys recommend then? It can't just be pickups [emoticon] . The Armada has a 1,700 lbs payload. Trailer tongue weight of 850 lbs. Here are the three we are interested. I will end up with one of those (just not sure which)
COLEMAN LIGHT LX 2125BH - Length 25.8ft - Hitch weight 542lbs - dry weight 4,380 - cargo weight 3,220.
Coachmen RV Apex Nano 193BHS - Length 22ft - Hitch weight 370lbs - dry weight 3,467 - cargo weight 1,250.
KEYSTONE BULLET 243BHS - Length 27ft - Hitch weight 530lbs - dry weight 4,880lbs - cargo weight 1,660lbs
Using your numbers listed here is what you have...I am only using half the listed cargo weight for this computation. But we know in reality that nature abhors unused cargo weight and unless you are very strict on your weight payloads, it will most likely get used.

Coleman:
4380 + (3220 / 2) = 4380 + 1610 = 5990 x 0.15 = 898.5 TW

Coachman:
3495 + (1205 / 2) = 3495 + 602.5 = 4097.5 x 0.15 = 614.625 TW

Keystone:
4880 + (1660 / 2) = 4880 + 830 = 5710 x 0.15 = 856.5 TW

So using half cargo weights, two of the trailers are already over the 850 Tongue Weight you have listed.

According to the specifications listed for a 2018 Armada, the Dead Weight and Distributed Weight ratings for the tow assy is 850 lbs max. So with or without a WDH, you are limited to a maximum of 850 lbs TW.

So while my computations may be off depending on the actual Real World ratings of the vehicles and trailers, in my humble opinion, the Armada is not going to be an optimal tow vehicle for at least two of the trailers you have listed.

Your mileage may vary, see dealer for details...
Your 15% tongue weight numbers are way overblown. 12% is more realistic, and all you need is 10%.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Tow Vehicle Nissan Armada
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS