|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Sears. Craftsman, Die Hard, Adios

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Next
Sponsored By:
MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/18 03:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sears, the 125-year-old icon, has 24 hours to survive.

The employer of more than 68,000 filed for bankruptcy in October. Its last shot at survival is a $4.6 billion proposal put forward by its chairman, Eddie Lampert, to buy the company out of bankruptcy through his hedge fund, ESL Investments. ESL is the only party offering to buy Sears as a whole, people familiar with the situation tell CNBC. Without that bid or another like it, liquidators will break the company up into pieces.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/18 03:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

craftsman tools, at least the product name if not the quality, are available at Lowes.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Every retired man needs three things....a good truck, a good dog and a working wife

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/18 03:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Craftsmanmtools used to be quality like SnapOn. Now its junk like the cheapest Harbot Freight tools. I uave thousands of dollars of Lifetime warranty Craftsman tools that I can no longer get replaced.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
8 years OSP Camp Host
The Other Dallas

kellertx5er

Keller TX

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/18 03:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sad to see. I have a garage full of Craftsmen tools. My Dad was a 40-year Sears man.

Keller TX
'08 F250 6.4L PS
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/18 03:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SEARS has been in trouble for quite a while now. Bought a Radial arm saw in Aug 2014 and had to wait for it to ship from China. I was so disappointed. Saw is ok, but I'm still disheartened it came from China and not USA made. That was the last item i bought from Sears. No wonder they are going under.

DutchmenSport

2019 Montana High Country 375FL Fifth Wheel
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually
2 dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 old folks, lots of love.

And yes, it really does have a door on the opposite side:

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/18 03:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sears sold the Craftsman brand to Stanley Black & Decker about a year ago.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/18 04:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They stupidly bought a failing KMart and that debt destroyed the company. They also ignore the internet until it was far too late just like Toys R Us. If you think about it, Sears was the original major home seller with the Sears catalog.

Someone in a cabin in next-to-nowhere Montana could order out of that catalog and get all sorts of things delivered to their local post office. But they did not see that the net was the modern version of their catalog, slept right thru the internet revolution.

This happens to lots of big companies, I don't know how many of you recall A&P supermarkets. But they missed the move to the Suburbs and the rise of shopping centers (another dead marketing idea) And died because their customers moved away.

As for Black and Decker that's another ruined brand. Their power tools used be high quality, now they are junk and I won't buy one. I have one of their 1/4 drill motors that must be 30 years old. Still runs. One of their current models would be lucky to make it to the Fourth of July next year.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Vixen21

Minnesnowta

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/18 04:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

They stupidly bought a failing KMart and that debt destroyed the company.

Kmart bought Sears

On November 17, 2004, Kmart's management announced its intention to purchase Sears for $11 billion. As part of the merger, the Kmart Holding Corporation (the company that owns Kmart) would be transferred to the new Sears Holdings Corporation and Sears would be purchased by the new Sears Holdings Corporation.

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/18 04:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

it was K mart who bought sears. I used to work at sears and when K mart who was a failing company bought sears they brought sears to it's level. sears went down on both knees at that time. their warranties went from great to BS. Sears used to be a company who stood by their products not so any more

Pirate

Northeast Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/18 04:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

craftsman tools, at least the product name if not the quality, are available at Lowes.
Was at Lowes tool shopping the other day. Some employees said don't buy because they were having to make space for all the Craftsman stuff. Others thought Craftsman wouldn't last long in Lowes either. I bought Dewalt.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Sears. Craftsman, Die Hard, Adios
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS