|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Sears. Craftsman, Die Hard, Adios

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/18 04:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Customer service in the stores was pathetic, glad to see Sears close.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/18 04:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

sad to see another once proud company torn apart.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Remember...if you don’t know where you’re going you're bound to end up somewhere else.
'03 Jeep Wrangler TJ
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/18 04:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

Yeah, on the rare occasions that I would actually go to a Sears (or Kmart) finding an employee was almost impossible. And the ones that were there were chained to the checkout register and were know-nothings. Sears still had hard to find sockets and such not too long ago. Kmart was the same and with empty shelves to boot.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/18 04:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sears and Kmart could have done everything right in regards to becoming a net company. IF the public thinks you are yesterday’s ( not to mention last centuries ) news you can’t fix that. You have to create a new presence, not just rebrand or say me too. Young people whose dad always used Craftsman might buy Craftsman. Otherwise Kobalt or other brands which are cheaper ( and blue) and will turn a screw will be just fine.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/18 04:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

SEARS has been in trouble for quite a while now. Bought a Radial arm saw in Aug 2014 and had to wait for it to ship from China. I was so disappointed. Saw is ok, but I'm still disheartened it came from China and not USA made. That was the last item i bought from Sears. No wonder they are going under.

Craftsman “HAND TOOLS” are US Made not much else is. Been that way for many years.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Trackrig

Spent the summer in Conconuly, Wa, MH now in Vanco

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/18 04:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

craftsman tools, at least the product name if not the quality, are available at Lowes.

Also available at several local ACE Hardware stores. I haven't tried to exchange a broken item yet though.

And as a note, I've been buying my Craftsman hand tools off of Ebay. Most of the time the prices are very reasonable and you can get the older original tools. But do watch out for Ebay, sometimes someone will sell an item for a very low cost and then nail you on the shipping. Most wrenches and sockets have free shipping.

Bill

Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/18 04:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

old guy wrote:

it was K mart who bought sears. I used to work at sears and when K mart who was a failing company bought sears they brought sears to it's level. sears went down on both knees at that time. their warranties went from great to BS. Sears used to be a company who stood by their products not so any more

DW worked 17 years at Sears. First Grand Ave, then Clackamas town center, finally Washington square. By the time she left the hand writing was on the wall. And thst was 20 years ago.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/18 04:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tried to return a broken tool to ACE hardware ,said I had to go to the sears store.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/18 04:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

craftsman tools, at least the product name if not the quality, are available at Lowes.

Either True value or ACE hardware (not sure which) likewise. have been for some years (The one advertising "Wrap it in red")

Craftsman used to be a top quality lifetime guaranteed product but they dropped the lifetime warranty some years back.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/18 04:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

Craftsman tools used to be quality like SnapOn. Now its junk like the cheapest Harbor Freight tools. I have thousands of dollars of Lifetime warranty Craftsman tools that I can no longer get replaced.

Actually that's not a bad thing as long as the tools are about 45 years old or more and you treat them nicely. (don't break them) Even if you do get older broken tools replaced under warranty with today's quality Craftsman tools, IMO the replacements are nothing more than paperweights or trashcan fillers. Craftsman hand tools used to be good tools. Not so now.

Chum lee

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Sears. Craftsman, Die Hard, Adios
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS