RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: 5th wheel king pin locks? anyone?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th wheel king pin locks? anyone?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/18 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Because of another thread posted just a short while ago, I got to thinking. On all my travel trailers with an A-Frame style ball and coupler hitch systems, and my utility trailers, I always kept a hitch lock inside the coupler of the trailer. Mine were the simple D-shaped systems that went over the top of the coupler and a ball fit inside the coupler. The 2 separated to insert and remove.

Now that I have a 5er, I never thought about any kind of locking mechanism for the king pin. My thoughts are, to take the trailer, one would have to retract the jacks, raise the front, pull in the slides, pull in the awning, and disconnect the power. A true "thief" would get a lot of attention if they pulled into the street with a camper dragging jacks, slides extended, and awnings broken off, for sure. So, the possibility of a thief actually taking a 5er, unless it was tucked away for storage and all closed up, is probably very slim.

So, what about repossessors? We've all seen the videos on YouTube and television about companies that repossess automobiles for the lenders. I imagine, if they can repossess airplaines, a fifth wheel travel trailer would be pretty easy. The odds are slim, but this is about the only scenario I can think of where someone might try taking a camper, especially a 5er.

But still, it got me to thinking.

Does anyone use any kind of locking mechanism on their 5er king pin? I'm just wondering? Do they even make any kind of lockable device for this?

I would think, if there was a locking device on the king pin, it really would be difficult to simply slap a chain around a 5er and drag it down the road. So odds of theft, I agree, are pretty mute. But still, it got wondering?

DutchmenSport

2019 Montana High Country 375FL Fifth Wheel
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually
2 dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 old folks, lots of love.

And yes, it really does have a door on the opposite side:

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/18 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dont have a 5er but why wouldn't a bike lock work?

https://www.amazon.com/Amazer-Heavy-Combination-Bicycle-Theft/dp/B01I9X9WNU?ref_=Oct_TopRatedC_3403231_4&pf_rd_p=a562ba7f-909f-5876-8037-a169e2c628b0&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=3403231&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=BM6241Z2TD0K2J7VR2PQ&pf_rd_r=BM6241Z2TD0K2J7VR2PQ&pf_rd_p=a562ba7f-909f-5876-8037-a169e2c628b0

Right around the pin

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/18 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are many variations of king pin locks. Just google it. I use this one. But only when in storage. But even then, I don't really think it is necessary in my case as it is fenced, gated, and attended storage.

Mbiviano

Denver

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/18 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have one but on a few occasions on trips I've dropped the 5er in public locations to do local sightseeing with just the truck and sort of wished I had one. Thinking I'm going to get one before our next summer trip.

Matt
2015 Forest River Wildcat 337FB Bunkhouse
2015 Ford F350 CC SRW PSD LB
Me/Wife/Twins/Dog

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/18 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've seen them for my Andersen but ridiculously priced. Someone recommended a wheel lock and those seemed pretty reasonable.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 2003 Jetcraft 2125 - Yamaha 150 HP & 8 HP Kicker

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/18 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a $20 ball...9 out of 10 half ton or larger trucks could tow away your travel trailer (might be way over weight or unsafe but that's not typically high priority for criminals).

9 out of 10 trucks don't have a 5th wheel hitch and your average criminal likely doesn't even understand how they work.

As far as jacks and slides...really not much difference from a bumper pull.

They do make king pin locks but really if you know what you are doing, it's not hard to defeat any of the ball or pin locking systems.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/18 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

I use this one.
I use the same. Mine is bright yellow, easily seen from the street. I see it as a deterrent.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

FLY 4 FUN

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/18 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A kingpin lock is an inexpensive deterrent so I like using one when the rig is left solo in public places or storage. Do I expect it to get stolen while its set up with us around, not likely. Storage or left in a parking lot while I go sight seeing etc it more likely.

If they want it, its likely gone but I'm not gonna make it that easy.

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/18 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Super_Dave wrote:

I've seen them for my Andersen but ridiculously priced. Someone recommended a wheel lock and those seemed pretty reasonable.

What are the chances someone is going to steal a fifth wheel with the Andersen hitch adapter on their kingpin, pretty slim. I think I will take my chances having an Andersen fifth wheel hitch.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/18 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suppose it's possible, much like anything, but seems to be highly unlikely. I suppose if you camp in fairly secluded places and leave your trailer for extended periods, i.e. a week or so, then the risk may be kind of high. Or if you store your trailer in an unsecured, or unguarded area, then it also might be at fairly high risk. But if you store it in a secure area, use it frequently when it is not in storage, then I would say theft risk is negligible. From what I can tell 5th wheel thefts are not all that common to begin with.

I guess it just depends on what your "worry factor" is set at.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th wheel king pin locks? anyone?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS