RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: 5th wheel king pin locks? anyone?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th wheel king pin locks? anyone?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Beverley&Ken

Tottenham,Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/18 11:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have said, they make kingpin locks. Like your trailer locks they will keep honest people, honest.
A 5er would have less change of being stolen, fewer trucks have 5th wheel hitches. They would probably steal the truck first/ It would probably be a planned/targeted job IF it ever happened. Your open slides, awning etc, would probably be more of a deterrent than taking a battery powered grinder to the hitch king pin lock.

Ken

2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/18 05:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We left the 31' 5er at a campground storage area for 2 weeks. We were coming back for another stay and didn't want to make the 320 mile trip again in that short period.
I carry a 12" long piece of 5/16" grade 70 transport chain to put around the pin..... and a large master lock.
As was mentioned a cordless grinder with a thin radiac cutoff wheel makes short work of any type lock system.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

maxum1989

Mt Vernon WA and Vancouver B.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/18 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a friend in the trucking industry that gave me a commercial level pin lock for my fifth wheel. This thing is a serious piece of metal. I don't think anything other than a torch would get through it. I am very aware of where the key is at all times otherwise I'd be in real trouble.

I used to be more worried about theft but that diminishes with each year as the rig gets older. I'm at the point now where I hardly care.

If I got a new fifth wheel, I'd use the lock again and consider wiring in a hidden switch to disable the landing gear, much harder to steal when the legs don't move. Especially if it's raised a little nose high above a normal hitching height.

2008 Chevy 2500hd Duramax/Allison
2006 Wildcat 27 bhwb
2009 Lance 830 *Sold*
2011 Northern Lite 8.5

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/18 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a simple Husky fifth wheel/kingpin lock whenever the camper goes into storage and/or is left closed up and unattended. I don't both locking it up at campsites as the thief would have to undo all of the campsite stuff (slides, sewer, electric, moving **** under/in-front of it, etc) in order to take it.

https://learntorv.com/fifth-wheel-security-king-pin-lock/

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball + Companion
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/18 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Neighbor got a small Winnie TT a few weeks ago and he's got screw chocks between the tires, a ball lock =and= wheel clamps on both sides. [emoticon]

Personally, I had a simple pipe with slots cut in it aligned with the pin slot and a lock that went through the slots. Pretty inexpensive, but I figured it'd deter the lazy thieves since a determined one would have a way to get it anyway.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 60 Year Member

dinwiddi

Camden,TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/19 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a nice locked, 16 ft. utility-car hauler stolen in Nov., and have learned a lot from the sheriff dept. Thieves scout out potential stuff, share, and even take orders. Many are well educated on how landing gears and hitches work. The deputy stated that my lock was not likely cut but the safety chains simply crossed and fastened together, looped over their hitch, jack raised and off they went. So no kind of hitch lock that he knew of would help, as most in our area are stolen by this method.
A fiver would be a more trouble and take longer but creative crooks could manage; so mine now has a kingpin lock that may slow them somewhat.

Jerry & Ellen
2004 276 RLS FW Coachmen Chaparral " Miss Ellens Delight" ">
2015 RAM 3500 Dually 4X4 Cummins 68RFE 3.73 ram prep B&W 3600

Splashers3

Oakville, MD

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/19 12:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a kingpin lock - even at the campground. I would think a unit with a 6 pt leveling system would be harder to steal and if not raised a lot of damage would occur if moved while they are down.

2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

Curly2001

Tucson, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/19 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can put a lock on it, lock it. I lock the 5th wheel hitch as well as the 5th wheel king pin. For the low cost of doing that, it may make them leave mine alone and go to yours.......
Curly

2007 Chev. 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

ETCrockett

Greenwood, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/19 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a kingpin lock that I use when in storage. I have a master lock I use with the kingpin tripod when I'm on a campsite. I agree that a clever thief who is determined will find a way to steal it. But I sleep better knowing I've done what I can to make them think twice. I also feel like if it were ever stolen, I would be able to tell the insurance company that I had taken precautions to prevent it. Back in the day if your car was stolen, the first 2 questions the insurance company would ask: 1) Was it locked? and 2) Were the keys in it?

Eric & Andrea
2016 Jayco Pinnacle 38FLSA
2009 Ford F450 DRW

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/19 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ETCrockett wrote:

Back in the day if your car was stolen, the first 2 questions the insurance company would ask: 1) Was it locked? and 2) Were the keys in it?

That wasn't an issue for my father-in-law who had his car stolen. He went outside one cold morning and started the car. Ran inside to take a leak; when he came out, the car was gone.

He told the insurance agent the keys were in it and it was running.

Insurance covered it without batting an eye.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th wheel king pin locks? anyone?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS