|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  General Topics

> Chaser vs. Dinghy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Beverley&Ken

Tottenham,Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/18 10:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chaser, maybe if going to a local campground, maybe less than 50 miles.
Dinghy YES, Just for the companionship of your spouse or special person. Enjoying the sights, time together in different vehicles?

Hitch weight, not an issue, our hitch weight is actually less with the toad connected, part of the tow bar weight is on the front of the toad. With out the toad 100% of the tow bar is on the MH receiver (tow bar is on MH all the time). Tow ratings for the newer E450s are 7500lbs and most are 5000lbs so that might become a factor in the CGVWR.

Ken

2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/18 11:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't see many people pulling a full size crew cab truck with a class c. You have a 7500 pound tow rating though right? Should be within specs, but that's quite a load for the rig.

I wouldn't want to do the chaser thing. Part of the fun is the traveling together. We're toadless so far and it's been fine for us, but time will tell. If down the road I do need to get a toad I'll probably pick up some older manual transmission econobox to pull 4 down.

New addition! 2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

old setup:
1998 Ford E350 extended van, V10, 3.73
1998 Fleetwood Terry 22lw

mleekamp

Washington, IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/18 04:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the input. I agree -- the together time lost is the worst part...

And yes, my F150 was intended to be the toad but it would be "too much" for the C. However, when I bought the F150, we were towing a TT.

Nothing is just straightforward, is it?

2019 Jayco Redhawk 29XK Class C, Ford V10 E450 chassis
Dinghy: 2005 Jeep Wrangler X, hardtop, auto

soren

Lancaster County PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/18 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While snowbirding, we frequently meet folks who have a fifth and large pickup truck, and a chaser. They make one big trip from north to south, and back, every year, then benefit from having a small, maneuverable car to use for the entire winter. Not ideal, but doable. As for more frequent trips using a chaser, sorry but I think it's a ridiculous idea. Nothing but a PITA.

We once camped next to about the silliest example of this whole deal I have seen, in two decades, and 200K+ miles of travel. A couple, full timing in a large fifth, a pickup, a medium sized SUV and a medium sized cargo trailer behind. They literally have their own parade when they hit the road. Two drivers, four vehicles, fourteen tires on the road.

mleekamp

Washington, IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/18 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

soren, I understand. We are not full-timers, just a once a year 2-week trip family (for now while we work and kids in school).

On weekend or 3 day trips, usually we've always had wife come on her own, as she works later and she arrives to a all-set-up campsite.

For 2019, we may try the chaser theory and see where to go from there. I'm pretty convinced it's a waste of time/$$$ to set up the F150 as a toad on a Class C when the next several years we will travel through the Rocky's into Yellowstone, Glacier, etc.

We will either find a smaller toad or ???

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/18 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a little different perspective... We're full-timers, and in a fifth wheel rather than a motorhome. When we hit the road, we knew we didn't want to use a crew cab diesel truck (our current truck is a long bed dual rear wheel, to boot) as a daily driver. We had a Toyota sedan at the time and the advice from the folks on the Escapees forum was to try the "chase car" for a year or so. If we didn't like it, we could reconfigure. Turns out, we like it a lot. My wife doesn't mind driving on travel days. She gets to listen to her audio books and music whenever she likes (I don't like anything on in the cab in heavy traffic or big cities). She can keep the thermostat up where she likes it, etc.

We average about 12K miles/year with the rig but put another 6k - 8K on the car touring, sightseeing, shopping, or running back and forth between wherever we're staying and kids/grandkids/siblings/parents houses. We typically do not travel more than 150 miles per day on travel days, so it's not that much time apart. We sold the Toyota and bought a Honda CR-V last spring and we're still very happy with the the "chase car" approach.

We have a document with the pros and cons from our POV - but it's aimed at full-timers in towables. If you're interested in that document, let me know.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MOR/ryde independent suspension, disc brakes, LR G tires
PullRite OE 18K, Demco Glide Ride pin box
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

F1bNorm

Gardena, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/19 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We currently chase, tow and rent. If traveling from campground to campground, we often do both tow and chase. It’s nice to have the option. We started rving with a TT, so we always had a vehicle to sight see in. When we switched to a C, we missed being able to hop in the car and go to town. Sight seeing with the MH was not always easy. Especially finding parking in downtown areas. The test was to have my wife drive our CRV behind the camper. Liked having the car so we set it up to tow. A down side to using a chaser is most campgrounds charge an extra car fee if you drive the car in. If you tow it it’s considered a trailer and no extra fee. We do a few extended trips, say 4000+ miles and usually with a single destination, on those trips we rent a car.

A lot depends on where you are going and what you are going to do upon arrival. Money wise it’s a wash. Towing, it costs us a mile or two per gallon, but we make it up by the higher MPG when sight seeing in the toad. Our CRV is smaller/lighter than a typical TT and for the most part, an easy tow, except you can’t backup.

I say try using a chase car for a few trips and then decide. There is no perfect answer, just more choices!

Norm

F1BNorm

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/19 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

F1bNorm wrote:

... most campgrounds charge an extra car fee if you drive the car in...

I wouldn't say "most," as we've never encountered that in the 181 places we've stayed - including in California. (Yes, I keep a log.)

Rob

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/19 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Second Chance wrote:

I wouldn't say "most," as we've never encountered that in the 181 places we've stayed - including in California. (Yes, I keep a log.)

Wish I ran into more of those, the Oregon State Parks charge the fee as many other have too. [emoticon]

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/19 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Second Chance wrote:

F1bNorm wrote:

... most campgrounds charge an extra car fee if you drive the car in...

Rob

Never encountered or just didn't pay attention to the fee schedule and not get caught? If you passed through an Oregon SP, you just skipped payment.

* This post was edited 01/03/19 02:06pm by rhagfo *

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie
2001 Dodge 2500 4X4, 5.9 Cummins, NV4500, 3.55's, Pacbrake PRXB, DS Power Puck,RV 275's Bilstein 5100's, 313K miles.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  General Topics

> Chaser vs. Dinghy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS