|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Alternate Solar Panel Dimensions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/19 09:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Homeless by Choice wrote:

ktmrfs wrote:

KD4UPL wrote:

Try AM Solar, Northern Arizona Wind and Sun, Backwoods Solar, or Solar Blvd.

I've bought from Solar Blvd in the past, but went to the site (or should say tried to) today and no website. Anyone delt with them lately? or are the out of business? Always had good prices.

I just went to Solar Blvd website and got the following:

Your connection is not secure

The owner of www.solarblvd.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

So it appears that the website is in existence but Firefox and my AVG Internet Security won't let it open for me. Thank you Firefox and AVG for the warning.

LeRoy

chrome gives a similar warning. explorer says 404 website not found.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/19 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use the larger panels and mount them higher over vents, ACs etc.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2004 CR-V and 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

bpounds

Senile, er I mean

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/19 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I warned that Solar Blvd was nearing OOB last fall. They had almost no stock at that time, and were not helpful on the phone. Were not keeping their web site stock status up to date even back then.

I had hoped I would be wrong, but it doesn't come as a surprise. I just tried their phone and it is disconnected.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/19 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OOB as in Out of Business?

To bad as they seemed to have a good solar business.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 12:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I blame tariffs.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

bpounds

Senile, er I mean

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/19 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I blamed tariffs for the problems at Solar Blvd back at the time I was shopping, which was around July of last year. Tariffs were all the hot topic at the time. In fact, that was what got me off my duff and moving forward with a solar project. Fear that panel prices were going to skyrocket. The rep at SB I spoke with said things were very volatile in the solar market, and often quotes were only good for 24-48 hours. They didn't know if they should stock up big at prices of the day, or hold off and see.

But that didn't happen. The trade wars didn't last long, and US/China is the only battle left. Turns out almost none of our panels come from China.

I don't pretend to know what happened to Solar Blvd, but solar installations are still going strong across the country, at ever decreasing cost, so it had to be more than just tariffs. Maybe more about fear and uncertainty than actual tariff burden.

I ended up buying my panels from Amazon. It was the best value and least risk for me, but only for 12v panels.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I mapped out my roof and determined my panel and controller options. It was apparent that power robbing shadows would prevail unless the panels were raised.

A big cost factor for 12V panels was the much higher $/W. 12V panels would also use more sq footage.

For equivalent panel watts the 60 cell panels with a Morningstar MPPT controller the total cost was $100 greater than 36 cell panels with a PMW controller. Note: This generally applied for 500W+.

Just suggesting that consideration of the overall installation and even future requirements might be worthwhile.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/19 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Acampingwewillgo wrote:

I always refer anyone/everyone to "Solar Blvd", they are located here in So. Calif and while I have never ordered from them, it is my go to place to browse. When I finally do go Solar, they are within driving distance for me to save on shipping. While I'd love the 24 volt Panels, their size and my roof don't mix so I'm generally looking at the 12 volt Panel options. Good Luck...
I think SB is gone and closed. [emoticon] I liked them too. Bought all my primary equipment there.

"I believe this company is closed / out of business. Tried to place an order on their website but there was weird error on the website that wouldn't let orders go through. The phone number listed is out of service. So I stopped by the brick and mortar address listed and there is another business occupying the suite. All signs point to no more solar blvd."

https://www.yelp.com/biz/solar-blvd-norco

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Alternate Solar Panel Dimensions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS