|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> No Overnight Parking at Interstate Rest Areas

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev
Sponsored By:
D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/19 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There must be a reason California has more than 27 million residents, if you feel bashing is so easy because we have a bullseye on the state, why not do something civil and constructive about it. You could even go to a political forum and bash there.

As I stated, CalTrans may not post, camp here but it is a rest area, and they do allow resting. When folks start using rest areas out here as camp grounds, they will start policing Cars and RVs before truckers and maybe like Walmart and others, they will prohibit it again.

With the amount of truck traffic we have here and the fact that the FEDs require truckers to rest and almost all truck stops out here allow truckers to rest but what I see you guys saying is, I'll sleep here instead of getting a campsite and that way I can drive late and leave early and not have to pay anything, then you complain about our high gasoline taxes.

Yeah, I need to lighten up. Why? The folks posting this garbage aren't.

* This post was edited 02/20/19 07:30am by D.E.Bishop *

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Back to a 2006 Suzi GV
Roadmaster 5000
Roadmaster Invisibrake

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/19 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

packnrat wrote:

seeing as if you pick up something, they step in front of you and hold out a can for putting money into.
to me that is a want, not a ask. i say just post prices.
Your experiences are much different than mine. Besides, asking prices means getting a license, charging sales tax, etc. And it's usually for a good cause.

I am the poster that has worked the rest stop kiosk. We offer coffee, tea, hot chocolate and cookies for free. There is a donation can and it is marked that all donations go to charity. Most drop in something, some don't, some leave something and don't take any coffee. I find working the kiosk to be uplifting as virtually everyone that drops by is friendly, even those that use the rest stops as their permanent overnighters. We don't step in front of anyone, all we do is say "thank you" and engage in light conversation.

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/19 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA is the joke of the entire nation, and deserving of every bit of it. Other than weather, there is little to like about CA, and this is coming from a life-long resident, born and raised. If I'm lucky, I will retire elsewhere.

But I was surprised that someone thought we didn't have enough rest stops. I don't think that is true at all, I use them often (don't normally choose to sleep there), and I don't think I have ever not found a parking spot, even while towing. Normally not even close to full, unless during a major holiday.

I think we probably spend too much on them, when we could co-locate with business, but CA is so anti-business that our leaders would never go for that.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/19 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Other than weather, there is little to like about CA, and this is coming from a life-long resident, born and raised."

Actually the only thing not to like about California is the people who live there. There's just too many of them. I think living in California: beach one day mountains the next, would be pretty nice. But there's waaaaaay too many people for me.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

apr67

Tallahassee, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/19 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SidecarFlip wrote:

EXACTLY. It's not a campground, it's a rest area. Amy and I have used rest areas for years.
but no slides, no bbq and no generator.

I'm with you on the no BBQ. No awning. No lawn chairs or pink flamingos. However we have had RV's that we had to put the slides out just to get to a bed. And in the south, sleeping isn't possible without AC most of the year. However if I do have to put out a slide (don't have that RV anymore) I try to get an end or something where it won't cause me to take two spaces.

2017 Thor Hurricane 34J
Gone-2014 Chevy Express 3500
Gone-2016 Jayco White Hawk 32DSBH
Gone-2013 Keystone Bullet 294BHS
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/19 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This for another discussion
But I won't have an RV that I can't use the bed or facilities with slide/slides in
I won't have an RV that is unusable with slides in

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

ParkCountry

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/19 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bpounds wrote:

CA is the joke of the entire nation, and deserving of every bit of it. Other than weather, there is little to like about CA, and this is coming from a life-long resident, born and raised. If I'm lucky, I will retire elsewhere.

But I was surprised that someone thought we didn't have enough rest stops. I don't think that is true at all, I use them often (don't normally choose to sleep there), and I don't think I have ever not found a parking spot, even while towing. Normally not even close to full, unless during a major holiday.

I think we probably spend too much on them, when we could co-locate with business, but CA is so anti-business that our leaders would never go for that.

I have spent 40 years driving to/from California on I-15 dozens of times. There are 2 Rest Areas between Las Vegas and Los Angeles in each direction. Okay. That's plenty enough for the 295 mile One-Way trip. However, I can count on ONE hand the number of times that BOTH have been in service at the SAME time. And CalTrans doesn't have the common sense God gave a piss ant, nor the common decency, to post a sign telling you if the next RA is open or not.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/19 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can attest to that
Traveling I-10 to Az 1/2 to 2/3 of the rest stops are always closed
I have never seen all of them open or even most of them
Better take the first open one, because the next one is going to be closed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> No Overnight Parking at Interstate Rest Areas
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS