|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Just lurking around the "A's"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/18 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lincolnmatthews wrote:

Thanks for the info, was looking at a 05 32V Fleetwood. After reading on the V-10 this may have the 3 valve head, being they came out in 05. What chassis is it? a 550 or a 650, am I correct that if its a 5 speed trans versus the 6 speed its an older chassis? At least the 05 would have the later heads with the 8 threads per spark plug hole.

I know these are fuel hogs but any gas pot would be in a motor home, my brother in law just bought a new Jayco 31ft C with this engine & we followed him to AK this past Aug & couldn't believe how many times he stopped for fuel! Good thing I wouldn't drive this thing much, maybe I should wait & get a small diesel rig, thanks.

The 05 will not have a 3 valve V-10, it has to be the F-53 chassis 2006 or newer to have the 3 valve V-10 and the 5 speed tow-haul, Ford had the 3 valve and 5 speed in trucks before they put it in the F-53 motorhome chassis.

And the mpg is not that bad in the F-53 compared to the Workhorse, even a diesel will only get slightly better mpg but will cost more in fuel price and cost more to maintain, just map out the shortest route to your destination and drive at 62 mph and it wont be that bad..

Do your home work before buying a motorhome and if you have to drive out of state to get the right one than do it, my current and last motorhome were both bought out of state.

lincolnmatthews

PNW WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/18 10:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Made the mistake of walking thru an 012 Tiffin 32 Breeze today, loved the quality cabinets & floorplan. We like a sofa on one side & a seating area on the other side. Other than the Maxxforce diesel (POS) compared to a Cummins & the 100k price tag a beautiful unit. I'm sure the woodwork will just spoil me for anything else.
Did see a Southwind 32 an 07 or so for about half the price, but they were closed. Has the better Ford engine & chassis, may have to check it out. May just be fine for what we want.

I know some of you guys suggested go bigger, but I've just had a camper all my life (62 now) so really I just see another full length sofa (among a larger kitchen etc etc) by stepping up to a 40ft unit or so. Just more MH to maintain, more complicated etc. Besides I think maybe the resale could be better with a smaller Class A.

Thanks again for the ideas & help!

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/18 11:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lincolnmatthews wrote:

Made the mistake of walking thru an 012 Tiffin 32 Breeze today, loved the quality cabinets & floorplan. We like a sofa on one side & a seating area on the other side. Other than the Maxxforce diesel (POS) compared to a Cummins & the 100k price tag a beautiful unit. I'm sure the woodwork will just spoil me for anything else.
Did see a Southwind 32 an 07 or so for about half the price, but they were closed. Has the better Ford engine & chassis, may have to check it out. May just be fine for what we want.

I know some of you guys suggested go bigger, but I've just had a camper all my life (62 now) so really I just see another full length sofa (among a larger kitchen etc etc) by stepping up to a 40ft unit or so. Just more MH to maintain, more complicated etc. Besides I think maybe the resale could be better with a smaller Class A.

Thanks again for the ideas & help!

That 07 Southwind will have the 3 valve V-10 with 5 speed, do check and make sure the chassis is a 06 or 07 and not a older left over 05 chassis, I have a 08 Bounder 32W with 2 slide outs and find the size just right for trips even for 2 to 3 weeks with 2 people and a dog, not sure if I could do fulltime but if I had to I could.

FireGuard

Ventura, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/19 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Southwind 32V is a great Motorhome. Big enough to be comfortable but small enough to be mobile.
You can find a 2003 area model for low $30k range.
I prefer the WH chasis. Plenty of low end torque cruising around 1800 Rpm. Feels like a Cummins. Lol.

13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/19 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

happy-2 wrote:

Make SURE you get a rig with full body paint. And always check the top and roof.

Curious why you have to have a rig with full body paint.

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/19 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

happy-2 wrote:

Make SURE you get a rig with full body paint. And always check the top and roof.

If the stripes are decals, the decals fade before the gel-coat and begin to peel. When you pull them off they leave a bright, shiny non-sun faded area underneath.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/19 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jplante4 wrote:

way2roll wrote:

happy-2 wrote:

If the stripes are decals, the decals fade before the gel-coat and begin to peel. When you pull them off they leave a bright, shiny non-sun faded area underneath.

Understood but to say you "have" to have full body paint is an opinion. Lots and lots of coaches out there with gel coat that are still performing just fine. These types of opinions stated as facts can be misleading to someone shopping around. Perfectly fine to state the pros and cons of each, but I see lots of posts on here that you have to have this or that and it's simply not true.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/19 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The common misbelieve of the 40' M/H will have more equipment to take care of is wrong, the smaller coaches will have the same equipment as the 40'. the bigger coach may have the added batteries, but that's about all.

only when you go 45' and bigger you'll have tag axels and such.
The ride, coach noise, the chassis made for coaches, diesel dependability, makes up for any added maintenance.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/19 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timmac wrote:

Besides I think maybe the resale could be better with a smaller Class A..

Same % smaller numbers.

howdy35

Athens, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/19 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of good used units out there. The most important thing to us was to find a floor plan we liked. The Ford V10 is a very serviceable engine. Good luck on your search

1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Just lurking around the "A's"
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS