RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Leak-free Class-C?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Leak-free Class-C?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
fitznj

nj

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/18 05:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For a couple of months now, I've been looking for a small (24ft)
Class C. Less than 10 years old, 50K miles, clean......

I have a list of questions I send to the lister and one of them
is regarding leaks in the overhead cab. About 60% of the responses
state that they had a leak at one time but is now leak-free.....

I bumped into a friend yesterday who has a Class C and said that most
of his problems relate to the cab over.

So.... is it a case of "if you own a class C, you will eventually
experience a leak ?"

I understand annual maintenance and resealing etc etc but I've owned
4 TTs and except for cleaning the roof, I've never had to reseal
any of the roofs.

I'm tempted to buy a B+ because of the better "cab-over" design but
then I loose the bed/storage space of a Class C.

I have noticed that the newer Class C's have redesigned cab-overs
with a moulded "nose" - so maybe the problems have been solved.

Looking for opinions from Class C owners of older (10 years) ones -

Are leaks that common ?

Gerry

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/18 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fitznj wrote:

experience a leak ?"
?

Class Cs either have leaked, will leak, or are leaking.
bumpy

EV2

Iowa/arizona

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/18 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

fitznj wrote:

experience a leak ?"
?

bumpy

My experience with older class A. Currently a fiberglass capped C, no leaks in first 5 years.

pbitschura

SE MN

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/18 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The cabover will leak due to the inherant flaw in design. The ceiling rafters, as they are run the wrong way. The front window floats in its 2x2 frame anf the roof seam generally runs at the curve of the cap . If one were to video this unit going down the road you would see the cab roll and flex in the wind. Any seal will work loose in time. I corrected my problem by removing the ceiling and building laminated plywood struts, like the wings of an airplane, supporting the curve of the roof and tying the front window to the framing. All seams are taped with eternabond and painted with flex seal type paint. Inspect and reseal every year. I didn't last year. I have a leak now at the gutter rail into one of my cupboards. I'll need to wait until spring to fix it.

1988 Mallard class c 24' Chevy chassis 350 cu gas.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/18 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

look for a rv with a fiberglass shell ,mines a 2007 leisure travel van/ and I have no leaks. I do not have that front overhang.

Lwiddis

Death Valley!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/18 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“if you own a class C, you will eventually experience a leak?"

Yes..same with TCs. Four TTs and never resealed your roof? Amazingly lucky is you!

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/18 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

fitznj wrote:

experience a leak ?"
?

bumpy

I don't think it exclusively a Class C issue. Very few, it any, RVs will live a long time without a leak.

There are a lot of reasons, but they all come down to build quality. The "rubber" (EPDM ?) roof material that is most commonly used is NOT impervious to sun. For maximum life, the RV should be stored (not used) out of the sun and rain. If not possible, the rubber roof should be washed with mild soap 2 - 4 times a year and then a light UV protectant (like 303®) applied.

The "ultimate" roof material is either fiberglass (which must be painted to prevent UV damage) or aluminum. Both are much more expensive to install, but require less maintenance and will live much longer.

Any roof penetration, seam, or roof to side seal is also a common source of leaks. Applying more and more sealant is not the best solution. Removing and replacing the sealant is better, but is difficult, especially getting ALL of the old sealant off without damaging the rubber roof.

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/18 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

I don't think it exclusively a Class C issue. Very few, it any, RVs will live a long time without a leak.

There are a lot of reasons, but they all come down to build quality. The "rubber" (EPDM ?) roof material that is most commonly used is NOT impervious to sun. For maximum life, the RV should be stored (not used) out of the sun and rain. If not possible, the rubber roof should be washed with mild soap 2 - 4 times a year and then a light UV protectant (like 303®) applied.

The "ultimate" roof material is either fiberglass (which must be painted to prevent UV damage) or aluminum. Both are much more expensive to install, but require less maintenance and will live much longer.

Any roof penetration, seam, or roof to side seal is also a common source of leaks. Applying more and more sealant is not the best solution. Removing and replacing the sealant is better, but is difficult, especially getting ALL of the old sealant off without damaging the rubber roof.

Agreed. Build quality, roof material/design, and maintenance are the issues that affect whether or not a particular roof will leak or not.
In my opinion.

Mike.
2018 Navion 24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ???)
2016 Sunstar 26HE (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/18 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy a class C without windows in the cab over. You still need to maintain the seam between the cab over & the roof. I had a class A that developed a leak were the fiberglass met the roof.

My rig has an entertainment center in the cab over. But the TV is mounted on a panel that can be raised. Providing lots of storage behind the TV.

2014 Leprechaun 290QB Chevy 6.0
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/18 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are plenty out there that have not yet leaked. And with some care, you can keep them that way! I too saw a lot of leakers when I was looking. But good ones do exist. Mine was garaged by the previous owner which I'm sure helps. As far as I can tell not even the dreaded front window has leaked on it yet, and it's just a basic Fleetwood. I plan a full preventive eternabond and re-caulk of the whole cabover next summer to be safe.

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Leak-free Class-C?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS