RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Leak-free Class-C?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Leak-free Class-C?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Mich F

Plantation, Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/19 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The relatively thin steel on the roof of a Class C, does in fact flex, more so after the roof has been cut out for easier access to the rest of the MH.

[image]

2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/19 02:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klutchdust wrote:

You have an overhead bunk, what I have is an aerodynamic nose cone that is secured onto the roof of the original cab roof and then is mounted / fastened to the house.

Look at a photo of a Cambria then you may understand . The nose cone on the cambria has no steel structure inside, it is fiberglass. It moves.

Hmmm ... that's different than our 2005 Itasca's construction ... so yes, it could do it's own movement thing relative to the cab.

Other than the molded shell itself being less susceptable to leaks, it being fastened to the coach as a separate structure does raise non-integral concerns to me - independent movement being one.

In pictures of Class Cs with that cabover type, I assumed that that plastic molding was merely fit over and supported (in addition to cab ceiling support) by the internal metal framing that was an integral extension of the coach's metal wall and ceiling framing ... just like in our rig. I wonder why they couldn't have designed it that way?

Boy ... you have watch everything these days! Maybe Coach House and Oliver Travel Trailers are some of the very few these days that do it right.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

sullivanclan

Grand Junction, Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/19 12:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting post with a lot of good information. We have 2003 Jayco 25ft motorhome and the only place I have found a leak during a four-day heavy rainstorm was on the top of the slide where the waterproof tape had rubbed off when it opens and closes. After the trip, I cleaned it up and retaped it tight. I inspect our roof, clean it and caulk it each Spring. I inspect the inside ceiling and windows edges each month and after each heavy rain or snowmelt. So far, so good.

I do have windows on the front cab, and I inspect them monthly as well. I like the windows as we live out West and most often have wonderful views from all windows.

Leads are inevitable at some time on any rig. But checking them often catches problems early and doing regular roof maintenance helps.

2003 Ford 450 Jayco Greyhawk 25D
1986 Jeep Renegade
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon JK

Holiday27

Gresham, OR.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/19 12:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron had an awesome response! Wow. I've had a fiberglass class C and they can be trouble, I've rebuilt the cabover, not fun. Have switched to a holiday rambler aluminum sided and won't go back.. enough said.
Not discounting 1 piece fiberglass roofs! Those are awesome!!

* This post was edited 01/12/19 12:22am by Holiday27 *

2002 27PBS Holiday Rambler (Aluminum sided/roof) Love it!

Previous RV's
'94 Jamboree 22ft. (This beast had a 460 with tons of power)
'95 VW Eurovan camper (5 cyl. dog) Pulled a 3 rail fine though.
Tent">
Borrowed folks '84 VW Westfalia (water cooled)

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/19 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sullivanclan wrote:

Interesting post with a lot of good information. We have 2003 Jayco 25ft motorhome and the only place I have found a leak during a four-day heavy rainstorm was on the top of the slide where the waterproof tape had rubbed off when it opens and closes. After the trip, I cleaned it up and retaped it tight. I inspect our roof, clean it and caulk it each Spring. I inspect the inside ceiling and windows edges each month and after each heavy rain or snowmelt. So far, so good.

I do have windows on the front cab, and I inspect them monthly as well. I like the windows as we live out West and most often have wonderful views from all windows.

Leads are inevitable at some time on any rig. But checking them often catches problems early and doing regular roof maintenance helps.

This

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

IA boy

Ankeny, Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/19 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Owned three Born Free coaches, the two without cabover window never leaked. Minimal squeakers and rattles with this brand. Too bad they are out of business, highest quality class C produced.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Leak-free Class-C?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS