RV.Net Open Roads Forum: To Brake assist or not to brake assist ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> To Brake assist or not to brake assist ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
jbstack28

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/18 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, new to the Class A lifestyle, had a Fifth wheel in the past. Looking to setup my tow vehicle. I purchased a 2019 Kia Soul, weighs less than 3,000 lbs. So question is this. Go with no brake assist, or purchase used 'Brake Buddy'( ugly and old technology) for those what three states where I would be illegal? I would simply slap it in place so I would be legal.

Thanks so much,

charlie..

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/18 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fairly sure it’s more than three states and all of Canada. But if you decide to get a used system private message me.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

sundancer268

Charlevoix

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/18 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Ford Focus weighs less than 3000 pounds (2920) last weighing and I noticed a big difference in the stopping capabilities last year when I installed the Air Force One. I had towed the Focus since 2009 when I got the coach and was hard pressed to justify the $1000 plus for the brake system. I am glad I did install it and will transfer it to the new toad this spring when I decide on what I am going to buy.

U. S. Navy (RETIRED) 1993
1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' Diesel Pusher Cummins B5.9 12 Valve Engine, Allison MD-3060 6 Speed Transmission.
TOAD: 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Road Master Sterling All-Terrain, Airforce One

jorbill2or

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/18 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Usual hot topic on here 25 more pages to go but .. it’s most states you are required brakes not just 3 ... however you do it I’d put it in and use it in all states.

Bill

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/18 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

requirement or not IMO it's a good idea. check your mfg but i'll bet that the brakes on the MH are rated only for the MHs GVWR. get a good aux braking system.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Remember...if you don’t know where you’re going you're bound to end up somewhere else.
'03 Jeep Wrangler TJ
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Tripalot

Golden Horseshoe, Ont. Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/18 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you decide not to use a braking system, check with your insurance company. If you were to have an accident, they might determine that you were knowingly driving an unsafe vehicle and therefore would not be covered by insurance.

2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

Stim

NE Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/18 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tow it on a dolly with surge brakes.
Dolly will always have some resale value too.

et2

MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/18 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For safety factors alone I can't imagine not using one, no matter the weight.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/18 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll post this one more time, and expect the usual responses......I sent inquires to every State that we would be traveling in, from East to West, and NONE of them require supplemental brakes for a vehicle in tow, in other words your toad in the 4 down configuration. I still used a supplemental braking system but it was not required. I even posted the people that responded along with their phone numbers, etc.
In any case, I learned that if my supplemental braking system failed, which they will, you do not have to abandon your vehicle at the side of the road. You are perfectly legal to continue on to your next destination and get your braking system fixed at your convenience. As far as your insurance company penalizing you for doing something that is legal, that is BS.
The BS from the various brake system manufacturers give the usual 3000 pound brake requirement regulations but they are talking about TRAILERS, not "vehicles in tow". Remember, you are NON-COMMERCIAL vehicle with a vehicle in tow, and are NOT required to have supplemental braking in any of the 40+ States that I contacted. If you use a TRAILER, or TOW DOLLY, braking is required.
Since I will not bother digging up all of the replies that I got, here are just two of them:
From Tennessee
We have reviewed your question regarding towing a vehicle behind your motor home within Tennessee and whether you are required to have supplemental braking on that towed vehicle. The Tennessee Code on brakes is silent on a (non-commercial) drive away / tow away operation such as the one you describe and therefore in your scenario the vehicle being towed with the tow bar would be exempt from brakes. However, the lighting regulations still apply; therefore, ensure that your braking lights and turn signals function properly.

Enjoy your time in Tennessee,

Samuel Girwarnauth | Legal Intern

Legal Division

Tennessee Tower, 25th Floor

Nashville, TN 37243

p. 615-532-7679

Samuel.Girwarnauth@tn.gov

tn.gov/safety

And since you are from Florida:

A vehicle towed behind a motor home would be exempt from the braking requirements in Florida statute 316.261 as a drive away, tow away operation. Please contact me if you have any other questions.

Lt. Jeff Frost
Florida Highway Patrol
Public Affairs Officer
Commercial Vehicle Enforcement
2900 Apalachee Parkway, MS 45
850-617-2279
Tallahassee, Florida 32399
www.flhsmv.gov/fhp
Jefffrost@flhsmv.gov

As I mentioned, I use a braking system, but lets not give new members false information that comes from manufacturers that are interested in selling their brake systems to RV owners and rely on scare tactics and false information to sell their products.

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/18 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is always a hot topic. If it gets moved to the Towed Vehicles forum where it belongs all the squirrels will attack and you'll be sorry you ever asked the question.

I bought a Blue Ox tow bar and an RVi2 brake system used on Craig's List. The only thing the brake did was run my toad battery down. Next season I'm going to run a second light socket in the tail lights and put a switch on the toad brake lights. I don't thing the diode system works.

Bottom line, required or not, safety and insurance companies dictate that brakes are a good idea.

* This post was edited 12/30/18 03:22pm by jplante4 *

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> To Brake assist or not to brake assist ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS