|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Toll avoidance

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
et2

MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/18 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put this under class A as I believe those driving Motorhomes ( especially longer heavier w/tag axles) would be paying much higher tolls than fifth wheels or travel trailers, and perhaps more likely to choose other roads than turnpikes and toll roads.

We are planning a trip in June to Washington D.C. If we were to take the Ohio turnpike picking it up just out of Michigan to Pennsylvania and picking up the Penn-pike from the Ohio till it almost ends, would be over $400 round trip. I about choked when I saw that.

It was the shortest and most convienent. But I can't see paying $400 to drive the toll road when other choices are available. That would almost pay for our gas there and back. Others mentioned in a different post, options that aren't that much out of the way but would save hundreds of dollars. We have planned a alternate route thanks to those in this forum.

The Ohio turnpike wasn't bad, but Pennsylvania was just nuts in tolls traversing the state IMHO.

Do those of you doing a lot of traveling avoid toll roads if you would be on them for a long period of time? Are all toll roads as costly as the Pennsylvania turn-pike?

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/18 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I avoid the Pennsylvania Turnpike whenever possible. It's one of the most expensive toll roads in the US.

The Turnpike Commission is required to pay the Pennsylvania Dept of Transportation 450 million annually. I believe it will drop to 'only' 50 million annually in 2023.

When I travel west from Harrisburg PA I take I-81 south to I-70 & I-68 west to Morgantown WV. Then I-79 north to I-70 west. It bypasses the PA Turnpike.
It is about 50 miles longer but, the extra fuel I use is cheaper than the tolls.

Sometimes it's more practical or quicker to take the Turnpike. But there are usually better options than the PA Turnpike

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/18 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

et2 wrote:

I put this under class A as I believe those driving Motorhomes ( especially longer heavier w/tag axles) would be paying much higher tolls than fifth wheels or travel trailers, and perhaps more likely to choose other roads than turnpikes and toll roads.

We are planning a trip in June to Washington D.C. If we were to take the Ohio turnpike picking it up just out of Michigan to Pennsylvania and picking up the Penn-pike from the Ohio till it almost ends, would be over $400 round trip. I about choked when I saw that.

It was the shortest and most convienent. But I can't see paying $400 to drive the toll road when other choices are available. That would almost pay for our gas there and back. Others mentioned in a different post, options that aren't that much out of the way but would save hundreds of dollars. We have planned a alternate route thanks to those in this forum.

The Ohio turnpike wasn't bad, but Pennsylvania was just nuts in tolls traversing the state IMHO.

Do those of you doing a lot of traveling avoid toll roads if you would be on them for a long period of time? Are all toll roads as costly as the Pennsylvania turn-pike?

I did the same calculations and assumed a 4-axle high vehicle. Ohio tolls end to end came to $44.50 (one way) but the PA turnpike was $150+ end to end (again, one way). IMO ohio is reasonable but PA is way, way too much. we're willing to pay tolls as state or US highways can take you too far out of the way or vastly increase your time (assuming time is a factor and/or you're going point-to-point).

you might want to consider getting an EZ Pass. that will save significant $. doesn't matter from which state you get the device so shop around. the Illinois I-Pass is also accepted in all of the EZ Pass states. there is no user fee for the I-Pass although you'll need to make a small ($20 or $40...can't recall which) initial deposit and set up automatic replenishments from a bank account. anything left in the account when you close the account is refunded. we used our I-Pass in our MH all up and down the east coast in EZ Pass states with a problem.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Every retired man needs three things....a good truck, a good dog and a working wife

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

et2

MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/18 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The fees calculated driving thru Ohio end to end are $50. I have no problem with that. To drive from the west end of the Penn-pike to exit 326 ( one way) is 50% more ( with easy pass) to 70% more ( cash).

Neither cash or easy pass seem acceptable to me. I will be taking alternate routes. So the increases every year are to maintain the turn-pike? What happens when the other interstates get more traffic due to people taking them to avoid the fees. I'd assume the maintenance on them would go up as well, but it's free ( in comparison to the turn-pike). Who pay's for those? Tax payers.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/18 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

et2 wrote:

The fees calculated driving thru Ohio end to end are $50. I have no problem with that. To drive from the west end of the Penn-pike to exit 326 ( one way) is 50 percent more ( with easy pass) to 70 percent more ( cash).

Can you break out the costs?

If Ohio one-way is $50, and the one-way on PA is 70 percent more, that would be $85 (50 x 1.70 = 85). That would make the full one-way there cost $135 and the full return trip $265 (or almost double the trip out) using your $400 round trip amount.

Or is it that Ohio is $50 one way and PA is $150 one way? That would make it $200 total each way.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/18 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I admit that it has been several years since I last used the PA turnpike but I was upset because the tolls that I was paying apparently did not go for road maintenance. The highway was filled with potholes and it was not a comfortable ride at all.
I did just see an article where the PA turnpike tolls will go up on Jan. 6th.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/18 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do the tolls add up by size, weight or axles? I am thinking a two axle Class A might be somewhat easy compared to a five axle 5th wheel truck combo.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

et2

MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/18 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

I admit that it has been several years since I last used the PA turnpike but I was upset because the tolls that I was paying apparently did not go for road maintenance. The highway was filled with potholes and it was not a comfortable ride at all.
I did just see an article where the PA turnpike tolls will go up on Jan. 6th.

Yes. Supposedly since 2007 there was a state law act 44 passed to fund so many dollars until a future date. Since it passed 6.1 billion dollars went to PennDot. Supposedly the money doesn't even go for the roads.

https://www.paturnpike.com/business/act44_plan.aspx

et2

MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/18 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Do the tolls add up by size, weight or axles? I am thinking a two axle Class A might be somewhat easy compared to a five axle 5th wheel truck combo.

It adds up weight and axles. Yes the lesser axles and weight, the lower the toll.

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/18 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having gone cross country several time both in a vehicle and with the MH, I feel your Pain!!! I do try to avoid Toll roads when possible but at times the options add so many extra miles and time to a trip. You sometimes have to weight the benefits to one or the other.

My main thought when seeing this post was the cost involved in crossing the George Washington Bridge in NY with my MH and Toad. It's been a few years but it was in the range of 100.00+ !!! Not so bad until your are practically thrown out of your seat from the lack of maintenance(ruts, potholes etc etc) of the roadways. I still to this day, call it the worst road we were on in the 7000+ mile trip we were on.

Anyways....Have a Great trip!!

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund, Senior Cavalier Rosie
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie and Mollie, Elvis Love You!

Rally's and get togethers-Lots

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Toll avoidance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS