|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Toll avoidance

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
hypoxia

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/18 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me with 5 axles and 54,000 pounds the toll in PA is $0.63/mile cash EZ Pass is $0.44/mile for the entire length of 442 miles.

Ohio is $0.22/mile cash & $0.17/mile EZ Pass.

Ohio also offers first come first served Turnpike Camping. It excludes RVs above 40'. Ohio Turnpike RV Lots

I avoid toll roads like the plague with RV & toad except in Mexico.

Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/18 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

can not tell you the route I took returning to Mi last year but mostly it was GOOGLE Maps on my android.. I did do a couple overrides. (I may still have it on another computer but doubt it).. No toll roads at all. I told Google NO TOLLS

I'm considering the same route come next spring. I got about 200 yards from the toll road at one point but. did not get on it.

I got the suggested route from others here.. So you might be able to search for it. Look for posts I made back around March or April 2018 and one or more will be in that thread. I was going to MD not DC but.. Well. 10 miles.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

edbehnke

North America (from Michigan)

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/18 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVing is expensive. Take the toll road and don't worry about a backway. If you have all the time in the world just explore the roads and don't pay tolls.

but in part you can do I-77 or I-79 too.

eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
2500HD

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/18 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When planning our travels I'll do a cost/time analysis between using a toll road or not. Being a two axle class A towing a two axle daily driver the tolls can be excessive. For most of our travels I have avoided tolls but sometimes it's just not possible. Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and the Mackinaw Bridge are two that it was more cost effective to pay at the time.

The PA Turnpike I have yet to have a reason to take it considering the alternatives. I80 to the north and I68 to the south for example. I've even run US30 between Breezewood and Bedford to catch I99N to avoid the Turnpike.

2006 Hurricane 31D

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/18 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suggest, I75 S to US 23 S to Columbus OH. I 70 E to I79 S to I68 E to I 70 E to DC no tolls

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/18 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You go up or down I-95 between DC and Richmond and you will be glad to pay the tolls for the express lanes and look at those in the regular I-95 sitting for hours while you zip along. But you also need to time that right as they only go one way--North in the AM and South in the PM.

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/18 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We avoid the toll roads too. For each toll road, there has to be a bypass available. I-64 out of Charleston WV is a toll road so we chose US 60 as a bypass. After negotiating 25 and 20 mph turns, I decided the toll was worth it for that part of the trip. At Fayetteville, we dropped down back to I-64. It's interesting to do the math when figuring tolls. We often wonder how they determine them. In California, there is one price for 2 axle vehicles and another for 3 axle vehicles. However, it they are attached, it becomes a 5 axle vehicle which is considerably more than the 3 and 2 combined. I decided it was worth the irritation to stop just before the toll gate, unhook, go thru, then stop and hook up again. We saved almost $100 in tolls for those 5 sections of toll road.....tolls are simply a politicians' word for taxation.....Dennis

Ansted, W.V.
[image]

* This post was edited 12/31/18 03:23pm by Executive *

EDUCATION IS IMPORTANT, BUT CAMPING IS IMPORTANTER!
Dennis and Debi Ten Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/18 05:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Denver just goes by Axle - but here is the catch - my toad has an EZ pass and so does the MH. The toll is the 2 axles of the first vehicle, then each axle is a full vehicle toll after that. My MH=1, tag=1, Jeep=2, so I get hit for a total of toll X 4, then the EZ pass for the Jeep takes a hit making it 5.

2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

et2

MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/18 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So how does the E-Zpass work with a motorhome pulling a toad? You buy a pass for the motorhome only? Or motorhome combined with toad, or a pass for both?

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/19 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

et2 wrote:

So how does the E-Zpass work with a motorhome pulling a toad? You buy a pass for the motorhome only? Or motorhome combined with toad, or a pass for both?

Single transponder in the coach only. Sensors in the lane will count axles and determine the toll rate accordingly.

If you have a transponder in the toad you will be charge for it in addition to the axle count charge for the coach. My transponders are attached with velcro so easy to remove and wrap in aluminum foil to prevent inadvertent detection.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Toll avoidance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS