|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Toll avoidance

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/19 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

et2 wrote:

So how does the E-Zpass work with a motorhome pulling a toad? You buy a pass for the motorhome only? Or motorhome combined with toad, or a pass for both?
I have to have a transponder in both. The Motorhome, otherwise it will charge me 50% more, and the toad because I use it on the toll road on a daily basis. We have stick on microchip transponders so I don't have the option of passing it back and forth between cars. My only options are to call after a trip and have them back out the charges on the toad, or disconnect and have the wife drive the toad down the toll which is a pain in the keester.

2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/19 10:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went from Tn to Plymouth Rock in Mass and back over to Michigan this October.
We left the Mh at home. Even so we have toll slips of about 200.00, wife said. We used the Pa Turnpike and 90/80 too. Maybe another one or two.
We plan on going back with Mh to the Mayflower Association for some family research this year taking the Mh.
We will have to spend some time to make out a travel plan to miss all the Turnpikes and the Roads in Rhode Island that nearly bet us to death.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/19 01:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

That's one thing I wish the GPS travel apps did is show you comparison of toll vs time saved (without having to turn it on and off and manually calculate the difference)

5 min on a 3hr drive...I'll avoid the tolls.

1 hr on a 3hr drive, I'll happily pay an extra $10.

Most stand alone GPS units allow you to do this very easily. All you do is change the settings from "avoid toll roads" to "fastest route". Then it will give you the mileage and "estimated" time of arrival. The arrival time is based on the speed limits which are sometimes not accurate for an RV but it still only takes a couple of seconds to find out the difference between taking the toll road and avoiding it.

You missed my point...I don't want to have to keep turning the settings back and forth manually to figure it out.

Seems like a common consideration to look at cost vs time saved...should be an automated feature.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

steveh27

Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/19 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About 10 years ago OH raised their rates but also changed the way they calculate which class a vehicle is in. It used to be by weight, but now is on a number of things including height. My 20" Class B camper van was barely under the weight limit before and I paid passenger car fees. Now it's over the 7 1/2' height limit and it's in class 2, much higher fees. I drive from MI to Pittsburgh 3 times a year and figured out a way to avoid most of the OH TP. My route is good, takes about the same time, gets me cheaper gas and better scenery. You should try it. I am figuring out an alternate route going there to avoid the high PA toll for the 1st 28 miles I travel. My OH route follows:

75S to 280S (N Toledo)

To 420S

To East 20

Drive 50.2 miles
To 13/250 SE (SE of Norwalk, OH)

Drive 16.5 miles
To 224E . There’s a traffic light at the 250 & 224 intersection. This is the ‘worst’ of the roads.

Drive 28.7 miles
To 76E

Drive About 61 miles
To Mile 218 Entrance to Ohio Turnpike

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/19 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

True story;

A few years ago some radio station was interviewing the head of the NYS Thruway Authority (un-elected, un-accountable people, BTW) and the high cost of tolls was being discussed. Some state (can't remember which one) had lowered rates which resulted in increased traffic and a major increase in revenue.

The guy from NY thought that was a nice idea, but...

this is a paraphrase but darn close to word for word;

"Because our rates are so high usage is down and revenue has suffered. Usage and revenue are down so much actually that we have no choice but to raise the rates".

Duh, we know what the problem is and our solution is to double up on the problem.

No wonder threads like this keep coming up.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

oldave

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/19 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Brown wrote:

True story;

A few years ago some radio station was interviewing the head of the NYS Thruway Authority (un-elected, un-accountable people, BTW) and the high cost of tolls was being discussed. Some state (can't remember which one) had lowered rates which resulted in increased traffic and a major increase in revenue.

"Because our rates are so high usage is down and revenue has suffered. Usage and revenue are down so much actually that we have no choice but to raise the rates".

Duh, we know what the problem is and our solution is to double up on the problem.

That's pretty close to the definition of insanity or

Like the guy that says we cut it off twice and it's still to short

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/19 10:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Brown wrote:

True story;

Likely it's cooked into the legislation (toll roads are almost exclusively allowed by legislation) that they have to generate a certain amount and the formula is likely based on the prior years traffic volumes.

50-100yrs ago when the legislation was set up, they likely never considered the modern economics of the operation but it's a tough sell to get the current legislature to change the law.

Really more of a catch-22 than insanity.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Toll avoidance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS