RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Trailer hitch

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
cwit

Upstate New York

Senior Member

Joined: 07/20/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/31/18 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not a recall but safety. 2004 Fleetwood flair. Coming into campsite yesterday and a car cut me off. I slammed on brakes to avoid accident. Trailer hitch broke at welds with I believe broke tow bar and went through hood and radiator. Car should be totaled. If you have and older motorhome check hitch over close. If anyone knows where to buy a new hitch please let me know. I have been searching and can not find. Thank you.





MountainAir05

New Mexico

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/31/18 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any shop that deals with hitches can order you one. It is just a frame mount system. If they can find one they do not want the job. List you Ford/chevy chassis and length.

Just google Frame mount hitch and you come up with pages.

timmac

Las Vegas

Senior Member

Joined: 03/20/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/31/18 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cwit wrote:

Not a recall but safety. 2004 Fleetwood flair. Coming into campsite yesterday and a car cut me off. I slammed on brakes to avoid accident. Trailer hitch broke at welds with I believe broke tow bar and went through hood and radiator. Car should be totaled. If you have and older motorhome check hitch over close. If anyone knows where to buy a new hitch please let me know. I have been searching and can not find. Thank you.



That was a cheap hitch to break at the welds from just slamming on the breaks, I would look at getting a hitch with a high towing rate vs the standard 5000 lb.

RedRollingRoadblock

Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 11/26/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/31/18 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And it also serves as a reminder to crawl under and take a look at the farm boys turned welders lack of quality work. Seeing first hand Fleetwood's weld quality it doesn't surprise me. It does make me wonder if the hitch as been over stressed before. Did you have a braking system on the toad?

I have yet to get under my 2016 Bounder and not find anything to repair due to the lack of quality control.

Glad your okay and only sheet metal involved.

et2

MI.

Senior Member

Joined: 10/31/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/31/18 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RedRollingRoadblock wrote:

And it also serves as a reminder to crawl under and take a look at the farm boys turned welders lack of quality work. Seeing first hand Fleetwood's weld quality it doesn't surprise me. It does make me wonder if the hitch as been over stressed before. Did you have a braking system on the toad?

I have yet to get under my 2016 Bounder and not find anything to repair due to the lack of quality control.

Glad your okay and only sheet metal involved.


I second that! I check in the spring and halfway through the summer. Always making sure there isn't any cracks or bolts loosened up on the hitch, all the way through the towing setup, including the tow bars and toad mounting bracket. Any rust signs along a weld would have me worried.

sehunter

Rancho Murieta, Ca.

Senior Member

Joined: 04/01/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/31/18 10:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I could be wrong but I seem to remember a recall on the hitch on my 2004 32W bounder. I don't know how to check that but maybe yours wasn't done. Seems like I remember a area someone didn't weld.


Stan
2008 Bounder
38P, W24, 8.1L, 3 Slides
2016 Jeep Patriot


dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/01/19 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

11/1/2002 - 3/23/2004
Recalled on
7/20/2004
Influenced by
FLEETWOOD ENTERPRISES, INC.
Owners Notified on
8/23/2004
# Affected
8,969
Recalled for
Manufactured between
11/1/2002 - 3/23/2004

TRAILER HITCHES


Description
CERTAIN MOTOR HOMES EQUIPPED WITH DRAW TITE HITCH RECEIVERS MAY BE MISSING ONE OR MORE WELDS BETWEEN THE HITCH RECEIVER BOX AND THE BOTTOM SUPPORT PLATE.
Consequences
THE WELDS COULD BREAK, ALLOWING THE HITCH RECEIVER BOX AND THE TOWED LOAD TO SEPARATE FROM THE TOWING VEHICLE, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Corrective action
DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND REPLACE THE HITCH RECEIVER. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING AUGUST 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT FLEETWOOD AT 1-800-322-8216.

cwit

Upstate New York

Senior Member

Joined: 07/20/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/02/19 03:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for the information. Will tell insurance company about recall. May help. Makes us feel better. We will also get a hold of Fleetwood.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/02/19 05:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cwit wrote:

Thank you for the information. Will tell insurance company about recall. May help. Makes us feel better. We will also get a hold of Fleetwood.



Fleetwood went out of business and the NEW Fleetwood will not accept responsibility. Doug

cwit

Upstate New York

Senior Member

Joined: 07/20/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/02/19 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our insurance is calling Fleetwood we can hope they get somewhere. It would change our deductible from 1’ooo to 100

* This post was edited 01/02/19 04:17pm by cwit *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.