|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Towing MPG

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't tow if you want good mpg.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

old guy wrote:

You will be sorry if you get a 1/2 ton to tow that kind of weight.

Ditto.

And with the likely minimal difference in price between the two, it's a more logical choice to go 3/4 ton.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2015 Nash 17k (bought pre-owned 5/23/18)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

twodownzero wrote:

danrclem wrote:

Eric 18 wrote:

Thank You All for the responses!
I'm pretty set on truck size. I'll be buying new. We're going to go with a lighter weight trailer, per the majority of thoughts.
The truck will be my daily driver, and will be trading in a 14 GT Mustang for it.
My wife & I love the sense of community we find RVing. It seems to be the same here!
Thanks Again, Happy New Year!

I think you're on the right track here. If you get a 3.5 ecoboost and a heavy duty package you should be set. It may not get the greatest mileage while towing but would be a lot better than a gas 3/4 ton when empty. If you're getting a bumper hitch camper make sure you get the rear view camera. It makes it so much easier when you're hitching it by yourself.

Couldn't more strongly disagree with this if I tried. Towing anywhere close to what they say you can tow with a 1/2 ton truck is scary. Doing it with a 3.5L V6 in insane.

I don't own one, but from what I have read online, the engines are worked to death even empty. I doubt you'd see more than 1-2 mpg over a 3/4 ton gasoline truck empty. And the torque difference, loaded or unloaded, is not trivial.

Do the research on what people really are getting for fuel mileage with these things. The ecoboost is not doing any better in the real world than a small V8.

I believe you also said in a recent post that "enough" capacity was not enough for you and that you were really only comfortable with far more "capacity" than required. I'm paraphrasing.
While this is fine, and I agree that generally more = better, it should not be used as an excuse to exaggerate your personal claims into perceived absolutes.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

BenK wrote:

the why of an internal engine oil spray system squirting to the bottom of the pistons to keep the pistons from melting...that they are forced fed with enough air/fuel to be in the same volumetric arena of a big block (that tiny displacement consumes about the same volumes of air and fuel as my big block)...and a big ETC, ETC...

Todays large cubic inch diesels spray oil to the bottom of the pistons too and are forced fed with a turbo as well.

Your convincing me everyday that your not a logical engineer but more of a jealous old fan boy.

Yup. Some of the posts here get more entertaining by the day.

On a separate note, I'm looking for so replacement shoes for my Praise dyno brakes...

Eric 18

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks All!
We're going to go with a lighter weight trailer. I don't want to be near the 10K Mark loaded.
The reason for the switch is overall cost of ownership with the class C.
My wife & I currently have 3 cars, plus the motor home. The motor home alone is $1,000 a year in insurance, plus the 5-7 MPG to use it. Too often we take a separate car to drive once we're parked. Scaling down to 1 car & a truck, & trailer. Plus, we only live 2 miles from my work.
Going back over 30 years, I only average about 7,000 miles a year on any car.
My daily driver Mustang averages about 14MPG in the city & 24 on the highway (or worse depending on how much fun I want to have) Daily driver in a 1/2 ton shouldn't be too much lower than that.
I'm used to driving the class C, so the whole truck-trailer driving experience will be new.
Thanks Again for the info!
Eric

Hanr3

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 09:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I own and triple tow with a 2016 F150 3.5L Ecoboost. Truck is rated to haul 11,000 pounds off the bumper and 12,000 pounds with a 5th wheel. My total vehicle weight rating is 6,900 pounds with a 2078 pounds payload. Supercab with 6.5' box. I tow a 5th wheel with a max weight rating of 7,000 pounds. Empty is at 6,000 pounds. Behind that I tow a 16' deep-v aluminum boat and stainless steel roller trailer which weighs 2,300 pounds fully loaded. My combined trailer max load is 9,300 pounds. truck weighs 5,400 pounds fully loaded with me, the wife, dogs, fuel and all the gadgets. That leave 1,500 pounds available for pin weight. I drive 60 mph and my engine runs at about 1,700 rpms. My fuel mileage is 9-11mpg depending on head winds. If I slow down to 55mph I average 11-12mpg. The F150 also serves as my daily driver and I average 19-20pmg around town and 24.4mpg on the interstate. When I tow only the boat I average 17-18mpg on the interstate. Those are real numbers.
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the cost of repairs. Older vehicles will start to nickel and dime you to death. Sure it's paid for, but I would get tired of it being broke all the time and spend time fixing it instead of camping.

* This post was edited 01/10/19 09:10pm by Hanr3 *

Hanr3

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The F150 with 3.5L Ecoboost engine comes with a tow/haul button, and a Supersport button. It CAN be more fun to drive than your old Mustang. Plus, based on your posted gas mileage, it might actually do better than the Mustang, at least around town.

Eric 18 wrote:

Thanks All!
We're going to go with a lighter weight trailer. I don't want to be near the 10K Mark loaded.
The reason for the switch is overall cost of ownership with the class C.
My wife & I currently have 3 cars, plus the motor home. The motor home alone is $1,000 a year in insurance, plus the 5-7 MPG to use it. Too often we take a separate car to drive once we're parked. Scaling down to 1 car & a truck, & trailer. Plus, we only live 2 miles from my work.
Going back over 30 years, I only average about 7,000 miles a year on any car.
My daily driver Mustang averages about 14MPG in the city & 24 on the highway (or worse depending on how much fun I want to have) Daily driver in a 1/2 ton shouldn't be too much lower than that.
I'm used to driving the class C, so the whole truck-trailer driving experience will be new.
Thanks Again for the info!
Eric

Eric 18

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Awesome info Hanr3!
Thank You for breaking it down into numbers.

Hanr3

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eric 18 wrote:

Awesome info Hanr3!
Thank You for breaking it down into numbers.

You are welcome.
KZ just introduced a new line of 5th wheels that are 1/2 ton towable and average around 10,000 pounds. The Durango series. I have a KZ Sportsmen series, model 231rk. Only 25'4" long, however my restriction is a length limit of 60' front bumper of the truck to rear bumper of the boat trailer. I have 9" to spare. The Durango series also comes with a bumper hitch and is rated to tow 3,000 pounds behind the 5er. I'm really impressed with all the features on my camper. So far my only two complaints are related to winter camping and both I am in the process of correcting. Adding a heat vent to blow across the floor of the living area and adding heat tape to the grey and black tank drain lines. Otherwise the camper has been perfect. Even got my wife's seal of approval, and she isn't a camper.

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/19 02:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hanr3 wrote:

The F150 also serves as my daily driver and I average 19-20pmg around town and 24.4mpg on the interstate.

[emoticon][emoticon]

Dan- Firefighter">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Towing MPG
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS