|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Towing MPG

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev
Sponsored By:
tragusa3

upstate south carolina

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 04:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wise to follow the majority here. Personally, I wouldn't go over 7k wet with an F150. That's right about where I was for the last few years. It did a phenomenal job, but if I went any heavier it would have been an "OK" job.

Mileage on very long trips was between 9 and 10. At best, you will save a couple of hundred a year (if that) by switching. And, you will spend much more money to "save". You also give up all of the benefits of a motorhome. Didn't seem like a good idea to us, so we just switched in the other direction. [emoticon] But there are 31 flavors for a reason.

New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eric 18 wrote:

Thank You All for the responses!
I'm pretty set on truck size. I'll be buying new. We're going to go with a lighter weight trailer, per the majority of thoughts.
The truck will be my daily driver, and will be trading in a 14 GT Mustang for it.
My wife & I love the sense of community we find RVing. It seems to be the same here!
Thanks Again, Happy New Year!

When people express opinions about what size truck to get they should mention what year model they have experience with or are recommending. My 2016 F150 with EcoBoost easily outpulls either my 1991 F250 or the 2003 E350 with V10 that I had and gives better mileage while doing it. All size ranges of trucks have greatly increased in capability in the last ten years. I did order my 2016 with LT tires and retrofitted my 2016 with them and I believe that it does help stability. I also put Rancho 9000 shocks and air bags under both. The 2013 F150 is used to pull a horse trailer and we recently switched to a gooseneck for that. It does seem to be more stable and gives a little better fuel economy. You might want to look into a small fifth wheel. The gooseneck hitch worked with the Airlift 5000xl air bags but would not work with way the 2000lb bags mount. The 2000lb bags give a better ride in my opinion.

I get about 10mpg pulling the horse trailer at the speed limit, a camper would probably have more frontal area and may not be as streamlined so would probably drop your average down some. The 8-10 range sounds reasonable.

I lot of whether you want a bigger truck depends on whether you are going to be pulling 1 week a year or 50 weeks a year. The 150 will give you a better ride and mileage, especially empty.

Procrastinator

Southern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/19 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

Hanr3 wrote:

The F150 also serves as my daily driver and I average 19-20pmg around town and 24.4mpg on the interstate.

[emoticon][emoticon]

I bought a 2018 F150 SCREW 6.5-bed 3.5 Liter max tow with 3:55 gears. I just hit 1000 miles using winter gas this week.

So far my average daily average driving is 18.5 mpg and I have been able to get up to 24.1 mpg strickly interstate in "eco" mode at 72-74 mph.

Pro

2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 Ecoboost Max Tow with 6.5 "long" bed.

2015 Outback toy hauler ( soon to be sold)

Husband, wife, two children, and two Great Danes.

DustyR

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/19 04:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow with the combo in my sig. I usually plan on 12.3 to 12.8 pulling my TT. Loaded weight on the TT is usually apx 8700 pounds with out water. I know that the 2500 HD diesel is quite a lot more expense to purchase and maintain. I have pulled with with the half tons all my life and never saw much more that 8.5 mpg. Will they do the job, absolutely if set up correctly. My tow vehicle is also my daily driver I get 14 - 15 mpg city driving and 19 - 22 mpg highway. The half tons were fine with me until I started destination towing of 800 plus miles and the wear started to show on the drive train.
Irregardless what you pick in a TT, be sure the tow vehicle is capable of handling the weight.

Coachmen Denali 270FK 32 Ft.
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission,
EFI by Kory, 4" Exhaust w/muffler turbo back

Hanr3

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/19 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Procrastinator wrote:

bikendan wrote:

Hanr3 wrote:

The F150 also serves as my daily driver and I average 19-20pmg around town and 24.4mpg on the interstate.

[emoticon][emoticon]

I bought a 2018 F150 SCREW 6.5-bed 3.5 Liter max tow with 3:55 gears. I just hit 1000 miles using winter gas this week.

So far my average daily average driving is 18.5 mpg and I have been able to get up to 24.1 mpg strickly interstate in "eco" mode at 72-74 mph.

Pro

I'd post a picture of my dash after a 1002 mile trip. 24.2mpg. However I don't have a picture hosting site and am not interested in joining one.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/19 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hanr3 wrote:

I'd post a picture of my dash after a 1002 mile trip. 24.2mpg. However I don't have a picture hosting site and am not interested in joining one.

You don't have to. Use this to upload pics without using a hosting site.

Just drag and drop, and paste the link it gives you into your post. Done!

http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=1

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Towing MPG
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS