RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Trip Report - 1200 miles in the NW again...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Trip Report - 1200 miles in the NW again...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
emcvay

Moses Lake WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/18 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]
This Christmas we decided, rather suddenly, to make the ~600 mile trip down to southern Oregon to see Mom and my Step Dad.

[image]
Before leaving I stuck one of my Christmas presents on the spare tire up front and we were ready to travel!

If you've followed the other thread I recently posted you know there was some question as to whether or not we could 'camp' (sleep really) in our camper in front of their home but it turned out that WE COULD and were just fine doing so.

[image]
This was a good thing since the driveway drops more than 18 inches in 25 feet and there was no way we could have leveled the camper in it.

[image]
Even with 3" of blocks under the front tires we slept downhill but we weren't uncomfortable. It was about 1 1/2" of downhill grade still but not bad.

We also discovered that the dehumidifier I'd bought wasn't worth the $40 as it would only remove about 1 teaspoon of water per day (maybe 2 at most). As such we had to constantly dry things out during the day. At night we didn't leave a window open as it was cold and I didn't want to waste a lot of propane though we had plugged into Mom's so at least there was no concern about power (battery's running furnace all night).

Overall though, we did well and only used one LP tank down to about 17% in an entire week.

[image]
After spending 4 days with Mom and Dad we headed North to Hillsboro where my sister lives. We wanted to travel when the weather was warm as we'd had some snowy weather and didn't really want to drive potentially hundreds of miles in bad weather.

My sister is a popular jazz artist in the Portland area and had a gig in Camas (seen here) so after visiting her in Hillsboro we risked the insane evening traffic on HWY26 and
headed to Camas.

We had a great time there and spent the night in her pianists driveway after a few drinks [emoticon]
[image]
We had to level there too but were sleeping uphill afterwards [emoticon]

Finally, we headed home but first cross 'The Bridge of the Gods' in Cascade Locks (after passing another AF owner headed West on HWY14) and had breakfast on the Oregon side.

[image]
Breakfast was great, the view nice despite the weather and we were back on the Interstate to hit 65MPH and head home.

The drive home was WINDY and we were pushed around a fair but but frankly, the truck setup handles it rather well and there were no white knuckles.

All in all we drove just about 1200 miles (maybe it was more but I'd have to go check) and have now put on over 5000 miles on the truck with this camper. We're VERY happy, stayed warm and comfy and are looking forward to our next trip.

One comment though, is that the nearest dump station is about 15 miles away (state rest area). There may be one closer, I just haven't found it yet, but it does seem to be a pain to have to drive that far though it was open and we were able to dump the tanks, drain the fresh and winterize the camper again in a short period of time [emoticon]

Hope everyone has a great New Years! and had a wonderful Christmas.

2019 F350 Lariat FX4 DRW PS6.7
2019 AF990

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/18 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same back 2 U!!...Question though, just wondering, how did you determine the 17% LPG level?? Thanks for the trip report.

3 tons

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/18 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

there has to be a sewer clean out at your house that you can dump into. Mine is by my driveway. my buddies is on the other side of his house so he bought a macerator pump that hooks up to his waste valve and uses a 100' garden hose to run the waste over to the clean out. flush the hose with lots of grey water and you are good to go.

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Lwiddis

Mojave, Kern County, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/18 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

emcvay

Moses Lake WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/18 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons wrote:

Same back 2 U!!...Question though, just wondering, how did you determine the 17% LPG level?? Thanks for the trip report.

3 tons

Mopeka LP tank level readers and the ap.

emcvay

Moses Lake WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/18 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buzzcut1 wrote:

there has to be a sewer clean out at your house that you can dump into. Mine is by my driveway. my buddies is on the other side of his house so he bought a macerator pump that hooks up to his waste valve and uses a 100' garden hose to run the waste over to the clean out. flush the hose with lots of grey water and you are good to go.

Hmmm....there is a 4" stub that I assume is the cleanout for the septic. Not really sure.

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/18 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

emcvay wrote:

Buzzcut1 wrote:

Hmmm....there is a 4" stub that I assume is the cleanout for the septic. Not really sure.

if it has a round cap with an integrated square nut on top that would be it

2edgesword

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/18 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad you got to enjoy the holidays with family. Thanks for sharing your trip.

Roy&Lynne

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/18 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed at La Wis Wis up by Packwood that doesn't have a dump, and there was one private RV park that allowed dumping for a price, but since we were heading home, just went to the I5 rest stop south of Olympia. But generally RV parks and state parks will let you dump for a fee. The State Parks we have been to cost $5

Our Road Less Traveled

GoinThisAway

middle TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/19 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for the trip report to start of our new year! And what a great way for you to close out the old year ... with a nice visit with family. Thanks again!

2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Trip Report - 1200 miles in the NW again...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.