RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Wall Street Journal today: Rocky Road Ahead for RV Makers

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Wall Street Journal today: Rocky Road Ahead for RV Makers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/19 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not totally related but I was looking for a particular brand of motorhome not knowing the manufacturer. After a bit of looking, I ended up on the "Forest River" Web site. All I can say is...WOW on the number of RV's in general made by this one company which I'm sure has gobbled up the smaller brands as they have become larger.

Just found it interesting but sad at the same time.

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund, Senior Cavalier Rosie
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie and Mollie, Elvis Love You!

Rally's and get togethers-Lots

mike brez

milford ct

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/19 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Acampingwewillgo wrote:

Not totally related but I was looking for a particular brand of motorhome not knowing the manufacturer. After a bit of looking, I ended up on the "Forest River" Web site. All I can say is...WOW on the number of RV's in general made by this one company which I'm sure has gobbled up the smaller brands as they have become larger.

Warren Buffet has some cash

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/19 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Acampingwewillgo wrote:

Same story with Keystone-Thor.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/19 06:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a General RV on I96 in Wixom MI. I was always amazed at the huge stock of high end Class A coaches they had in stock. Went by there there a week ago and the front lot is EMPTY ! Nada, nothing. Looked pretty scary.

minnow

Upstate South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/19 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike brez wrote:

Acampingwewillgo wrote:

Warren Buffet has some cash

It's just too bad be doesn't want to reinvest any of that cash into building a better RV.

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/19 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can wholeheartedly agree with that....there are enough badly designed and worsely assembled around.

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/19 03:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The info in this post doesn't surprise me one bit.

I always wondered how big that bubble could get.

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/19 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yesterday I went to an RV show at out local fairgrounds. It was put on by the largest dealer in our area. There were hundreds of RV's at all price levels. It was a beautiful sunny day(rare this season in Oregon), and at 1PM there wasn't more than a couple dozen people there, and there was no entrance fee either. The salesman were so bored, they just hung out with each other drinking coffee. I looked in most all class A's. One interesting thing is Winnie has introduced a European style interior in one of their class A's. The cabinets are an all a shiny ceramic look. No wood to be found, unless it's beneath the surface.

Retired Anesthetist. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS .Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey. Thorp T18, tons of tools and tons of junk.

WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/19 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't see what all the hype is about. These companies (Thor, Winnebago, Forest River, etc.) are all dealing with complex financial strategies that likely confuse most of us. Heck, I own a fairly prolific business and even I struggle to understand the maneuvering that takes place at companies like this.

Keep in mind that this is nothing more than a blip on the map for financial readings. A one quarter or one year period isn't how any prudent investor judges the long term viability of any particular market.

There are new tax laws that went into place last year and this year. The strategies for behemoth corporations like this have to change in order to guarantee maximum profit for the stakeholders. The quote about Thor having an 80% drop in pre-tax profits (actually an oxymoron because corporations judge true profit as what's left over after taxes) may seem monumental to most people, but that might actually meant that they stand to make the same or more profit at year end due to tax strategies.

All I'm saying here is...nothing to see, move along.

2017 Chevrolet 2500 Duramax Crew Cab Z71
2014 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 6.7 Cummins w/ Aisin, Flatbed
2018 Grand Design Reflection 150 Series 290BH w/ B & W Companion (T/O Ball)
Old Rig:
2005 Wildcat 29BHBP w/ Andersen UH (Aluminum, lowered version for flatbed)
SBGTF

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/19 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WTP-GC wrote:

All I'm saying here is...nothing to see, move along.

We'll see if you're right a year from now.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Wall Street Journal today: Rocky Road Ahead for RV Makers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS