|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> replacing my roof

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
rsroy1105

NH

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/19 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good Morning everyone!

I have a 1999 Hyline 35 ft Park Model and this spring I am planning on replacing the roof, plywood and all. I will be tackling this big job by myself with the help of some friends. I know it is a big job however I only paid $500 bucks for the camper so I figure any money I put into it is just added equity. I am going to start ordering all of my materials in the next up coming months so I have everything ready for when the camp ground opens back up. But my question is, does anyone have a materials list of what I might need as well as a guide on how to replace the roof. I have searched the internet and the best I could find was a bunch of Youtube videos of at home do-it-yourselfers recording themselves doing their roof. Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advanced!

NOTE: Did you see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" located at the top of this forum?
    "Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions on how to post in the forums, signature and photo testing, reporting website or member account issues. Please avoid using Forum Posting Help and Support for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, create future threads in the RV FORUM which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!"

* This post was edited 01/03/19 12:03pm by an administrator/moderator *

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/19 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just something you may consider? Your camper is an old-school type camper. The roof is designed the same way travel trailers were in that era. It has wooden trusses, probably 1 by 2 inch "frames" for trusses. Probably 1/4 or 3/8 inch plywood or Luna, then a rubber membrane on top of that.

Considering this is a Park Model and not going to be traveled with, I think I'd just remove the trim on the edges, lay new plywood on top of everything that is already existing, screw it all down. Cut holes for the air conditioners, vent pipes, etc, and then lay new rubber on top of it all. Seal it around the edges, replace trim and be done.

Is there any reason why you have to remove the plywood? Or are you wanting to insulate better, or are trusses rotted out which need to be replaced too. If so, I can understand removing the plywood then. However, if the trusses are solid, I'd just lay a new roof on top of he old one. It will save you a LOT of work and trash to get rid of.

If this was a trailer to be "mobile" and used for extensive travel, then yes, remove the old.

DutchmenSport

2019 Montana High Country 375FL Fifth Wheel
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually
2 dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 old folks, lots of love.

And yes, it really does have a door on the opposite side:

rsroy1105

NH

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/19 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All the trusses with the exception of one appear to be solid. When we closed everything up last fall, everything was wet but solid. The entire interior has also been gutted due to water damage from before we purchased it. Im pretty sure I can get to the one truss that is rotted out from the inside. So I guess Im confused, are you suggesting just laying the new plywood and EPDM right over the existing roof without ripping up any of the old EPDM and Luan?

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/19 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, provided nothing is rotten. If you can replace or patch the truss from the under side, the less you disturb the original structure, the better off you'll be. This is just my suggestion, but please confirm with additional sources, see if they agree. As long as you can cover the old with the new, it should work. It would give you an opportunity to bring the roof over the side of the camper an inch or two, and then you'd never have to worry about caulking seams again.

Question? If the plywood on the roof is not rotted out, do you really need to replace it? Just remove the old rubber and lay new rubber. If you want the roof stronger, to support more, then the second layer of plywood will accomplish that. But still remember, the trusses are still only 1x2 inch pencils. If it were me, I'd remove the plywood, only if the trusses were bad and needed replaced.

rsroy1105

NH

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/19 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes the loan is junk. It's so thin I dont trust anyone over 200 lbs walking on it and it is rotted and all the corners. Luckily the water damage only effected one corner truss. But I'm curious, if I remove the trim from the sides and then overlap the new membrane over everything, how would I then reinstall the trim? Wouldnt that just be putting new holes through the membrane that's overlapping defeating the purpose of the overlap?

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/19 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If its had water leaks and damage your throwing good money after bad. Sorry, but your going to need to strip everything to the bare studs and start a serious inspection for black mold. A RV that old and with damage is basically scrap. Even after spending thousands making it livable its still only going to be worth hundreds at best.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
8 years OSP Camp Host
The Other Dallas

rsroy1105

NH

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/19 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everything has been stripped down to studs already. All of the mold has been treated. I'm not looking for a lavish abode. I just want a dry place to sleep during the weekend. Lol

Arlington, VA

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/19 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Forum Posting Help and Support

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/19 11:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My personal advice is, if you are not planning to do much traveling with the unit, finish the roof with a coating versus a membrane. A pure silicone roof will run circles around any membrane roof. It's not popular with RVers yet (although it's use has started to increase) but those who had it done all seem to praise it. In most cases, its DIY friendly. By way of a disclaimer, I had my RV's roof silicone and I will never go back to the older roof covers.

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

gordinho80

Central NJ

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey. I redid the roof on my Coachmen this past Spring. I did all the work myself, no assistance at all. It is work, but its not impossible if you are even remotely handy with apt in any craftsmanship what so ever...

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29485866/gotomsg/29699907.cfm#29699907

Mario
2012 Ram 1500 Crew Big Horn 5.7L Hemi (My first Dodge)
2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB (Our first camper) - https://www.instagram.com/martin_the_camper/

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> replacing my roof
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS