|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Carrying 2 bikes - Motorhome and Car Dolly

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
angler

WI

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/19 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Went through several pages of how to carry bikes, but was wondering if anyone has any revelations on this.

Nissan Altima is my toad being pulled by a Class A with a car dolly. From what I gathered from other forum post it is not recommended to put them between the car dolly and back of the motorhome. Ladder holders have some issues as well.

I have a trunk mounted bike rack that I use now when I travel locally, but getting ready to head south for a couple months and am a little nervous about having it back there for that distance.

I could also put them in the motorhome, but they would be in the way. Guess I don't know what I'm asking except if anyone carries their bikes on a trunk mount bike rack for long distances? Or options that I haven't thought of? Thank you

2002 Tiffin Allegro Bay 35DB
Workhorse 8.1

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/19 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As an avid cyclist, my bikes (expensive) are important to me. I used a dual hitch receiver with a Swagman 2 bike rack and a cover. The bikes were between the MH and the toad and did just fine. Not sure why someone would say not to this. Ladder racks make me squeamish - I personally don't think ladders are designed to hold the bouncing weight of bikes and the bikes themselves can get beat up.

dual receiver

Bike rack

For the money that Swagman rack can't be beat. Super easy to use, doesn't scratch or damage the bikes, it' versatile and fast to load/unload. Been using that rack for 6 years now and it's still working fine.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/19 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could install a small class II hitch on toad. Then use a standard bike rack.
We used a dual receiver for several years, then switched to class II hitch on last couple of toads.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/19 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What about a roof rack on the Toad?

Al

ThomBoles

Pinellas Park, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/19 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a dual receiver as shown by way2roll above. The bikes are on a Swagman rack as well. I have had no problems with them between the towed car and the RV for the 22K+ miles we have driven.

We flat-tow our car but I don't know why there would be any difference in the way it sits for a tow-dolly.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Thom and Diane Boles
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/19 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you already use a truck mounted rack, I'd probably stick with that. Well installed, they work fine. Many many people use them every day.

If you've got $$ to spend, a roof rack on the Altima would be nice. Easier to use and less chance of damaging the bikes or car paint.

way2roll's method of using a dual receiver on the motorhome with a hitch rack sounds good too, as long as you can also use the rack on the toad so you can take the bikes with you in the car. Maybe this in conjunction with your current truck rack for local trips while camping would work well.

Since you're using a dolly, I don't think a toad mounted rear hitch rack would work while towing, seems like it'd hang too low. But if you have a receiver on the Altima you could at least move the receiver mounted rack to the toad once at a campsite.

New addition! 2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

old setup:
1998 Ford E350 extended van, V10, 3.73
1998 Fleetwood Terry 22lw

angler

WI

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/19 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just didn't know If I'd have room between the car and the back of the motorhome and put two bikes between them. Also didn't know if the 10" drop hitch with the hitch extension would be ok.. Thank you for your input it looks like a good option

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/19 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

angler wrote:

Just didn't know If I'd have room between the car and the back of the motorhome and put two bikes between them. Also didn't know if the 10" drop hitch with the hitch extension would be ok.. Thank you for your input it looks like a good option

Our extender was a 0 drop for the car (no drop/straight) and a rise for the bike rack. Also we started with a dolly and then flat towed and the set up cleared both methods. The link I posted is for a straight for the car and a rise for the bike rack. But if you have a drop prior - not sure if that is an issue, depends on your setup. I mocked mine up with some 2x4's and some calculations before I bought what I needed.

Lwiddis

Death Valley!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/19 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“I could also put them in the motorhome, but they would be in the way.“

Quality bicycles are carried inside if there is any chance of rain.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

prepilot_3ck

Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/19 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I have been doing this for years. We're both avid cyclists, she's a full-on triathlete. We had a DP with a toad on a dolly. We just covered them and used pool noodles so they wouldn't beat each other up. Worked pretty well for us.

We just bought a new RV that is a class-a toy hauler. Now we do fork mounts in the garage and all the gear hangs out back there. Nothing on the hitch other than the car now. This has been an amazing upgrade.

Brian

2016 Thor Outlaw 37RB
VW Tiguan Toad.
Coupla bikes, coupla dogs, coupla 40-somethings wishing they were retired.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Carrying 2 bikes - Motorhome and Car Dolly
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS